How much do you like football (soccer)?

How much do you like football (soccer)?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you like football (soccer)?

• I like it more than I like rugby league
    • I like it about the same amount as I like rugby league
    • I like it less than rugby league, but it's still good
    • I have very little interest in it - just maybe watch a few of the big matches (e.g. World Cup)
    • I don't like it at all
    • I'm Harry Stottle

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, M j M said:

NFL is one of Rugby League's closer cousins. I always find it perplexing that some people claim to dislike it but can't properly explain why.

Ignorance. Those that claim to dislike it so much have watched very little or none of it and base their opinion off of that. 

Very much an armchair fan now, but used to follow Liverpool home and away, stand on the Kop etc.  Also used to attend a fair few Bolton Wanderers and even Blackburn Rovers home games on occasions.  Been lucky enough to go to quite a few Wembley Cup finals and seen the great Liverpool sides of past and present lift trophies.

No one in the family is mad keen on rugby league and none was played where I grew up, but was taken to Saints-Wigan derbies for years by a mate whose Dad was a Wiganer.  I tended to support Saints as the underdog back then and have followed their fortunes ever since.  The year they beat Hull FC in the GF I saw them home and away which was great.  I was losing interest in football at that point due to the rise of Man Utd.

Following a house move found myself nearer Swinton and kept an eye on them and been to matches without declaring myself fanatical.  Also been to loads of England/Lancashire cricket and been lucky enough to see the big US sports over there in the flesh.

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

I love football as a game and used to be really into it as a fan (had a season ticket for 20 years) but the money has put me off English professional football big time and I’m not fussed any more. Unless Norwich are on I haven’t watched an episode of MOTD or a televised club game for years. A lot of lads my age (40s) feel the same. 

Yep same here in terms of me and my 40 plus mates 

The money completely puts us off

As a game it has too many periods of nothing happening too.

Also it does not reward hard work in the same way rugby does - too reliant on luck being a factor. I guess that does mean a poorer side has more of a chance of winning which can raise excitement but... 

I voted as equals, although I’d probably say a great football game is better than a great RL game, albeit the former comes around a lot less frequently than the latter.

I can certainly relate to the comments about the money at the top level of football and the disenchantment that it can foster, but given I have a season ticket for both Bolton Wanderers and Atherton Collieries and try to go to at least half a dozen Hibs games each season, I’m pretty well removed from that side of football, with those clubs generally being as skint as I am!

One thing I really miss about international Football is that a lot of the mystery is gone. If a country produces some world-class players, money means they'll be playing for clubs in one of the major European leagues sooner rather than later. So you have an idea of what you're going to see.

Up to some point in the early Nineties, your country could find itself drawn against almost totally unknown opposition. Okay, quite often they were just a bit ordinary, but could sometimes be the tournament's surprise package or have a real star player. It all seemed more of an adventure then.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Very little interest in it these days.

If I'm in and its on I will probably watch England World Cup games but thats about it.

Zero interest in any particular club.

Enjoy playing golf but that's about it sporting wise for me.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Football - Peterborough United - is my first and main love, closely followed by cricket. 

Love rugby league, but it's definitely third for me - although it was closer when it wasn't so difficult being a Bradford fan. 

People called Romans they go the house

42 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

Football - Peterborough United - is my first and main love, closely followed by cricket. 

Love rugby league, but it's definitely third for me - although it was closer when it wasn't so difficult being a Bradford fan. 

To be fair I’d have Peterborough first as well if my final pre-match pint every week was on a galleon (or whatever type of vessel Charters Bar is certified to be). 

58 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

One thing I really miss about international Football is that a lot of the mystery is gone. If a country produces some world-class players, money means they'll be playing for clubs in one of the major European leagues sooner rather than later. So you have an idea of what you're going to see.

Up to some point in the early Nineties, your country could find itself drawn against almost totally unknown opposition. Okay, quite often they were just a bit ordinary, but could sometimes be the tournament's surprise package or have a real star player. It all seemed more of an adventure then.

It does also mean previous ordinary smallish countries usually have a player playing at the top level therefore giving them a better chance and increasing competitiveness of International Soccer.

Remember the Norwegian commentator,  " Mrs Thatcher, Winston Churchill........your boys took a hell of a beating " Norway were nothing in International footy, a few years later, given regular exposure to top opponents and players like Thorstvedt  the Spurs goalkeeper and others playing in elite leagues Norway were qualifying for World Cups. If RL gave more games to the likes of Italy, Russia, etc. perhaps International RL would grow.

16 hours ago, M j M said:

NFL is one of Rugby League's closer cousins. I always find it perplexing that some people claim to dislike it but can't properly explain why.

Remember back when Channel 4 started showing NFL on a 1 hour a week Highlights program.  I loved watching it.

So I couldn’t wait to watch the Super Bowl late at night.  The teams ran on, kicked off, someone caught the ball, ran forward and got tackled, then everyone went off for a rest.  I went to bed.

As someone in their 20’s, transfer fees and wages in Football doesn’t bother me anywhere near as much as it seemingly does for men of a certain age. The power the broadcasters have over Football, as they do with Rugby League, is probably my biggest gripe with the sport. That and idiot fans who can’t understand VAR and the laws of the game but that’s another debate. 

37 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Remember back when Channel 4 started showing NFL on a 1 hour a week Highlights program.  I loved watching it.

So I couldn’t wait to watch the Super Bowl late at night.  The teams ran on, kicked off, someone caught the ball, ran forward and got tackled, then everyone went off for a rest.  I went to bed.

I quite enjoy the London NFL games, although I don't understand much of the sport. Staying up to watch the Superbowl will wreck your sleeping patterns for a couple of days, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

To be fair I’d have Peterborough first as well if my final pre-match pint every week was on a galleon (or whatever type of vessel Charters Bar is certified to be). 

Only pint, the time it takes to get served in there on a Saturday. 

Brilliant place, though. 

People called Romans they go the house

I have no/very little interest in professional football, but I really enjoy Non League, semi pro footie.

I regularly go and watch Selby Town in the NCEL, always see good, honest effort and endeavour on the pitch, the crowds are always friendly with good banter and the players always come into the bar and have a drink with the speccies after the game. Just like how it used to be in our great game.

I love kids football and help coach my son's team (under 11s) and am working on a. Under 7s team for my daughter. I follow professional football in terms of a soap opera, I read the daily BBC gossip and listen to the Monday night club on radio 5 live, but never watch a game, outside of the international tournament s

I enjoy watching soccer when it is a big occasion - a big clash in the Premier League or the El Clásico for example.  And of course the big World Cup and European tournaments.

Unlike Rugby League (when I will tune into any game I can), I won't bother with a mid table game that doesn't have anything riding on it.

I enjoy most sports but if I were to say which were my favourites then Rugby League wins the day of course but I really like test match cricket - particularly England against a top team like Australia or India.  I also really enjoy the golf majors.

There is nothing better than watching the drama of the test match or the golf major unfold over a number of days... the drama that may occur on the final day/ 18th hole is only really appreciated when the build up is taken in.  I will take that over the Twenty 20 any day of the week.

I guess it explains why I find RL 9's so frustrating - it is all about the tries and the flashy stuff without earning the right to do it.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

48 minutes ago, GB120 said:

I have no/very little interest in professional football, but I really enjoy Non League, semi pro footie.

I regularly go and watch Selby Town in the NCEL, always see good, honest effort and endeavour on the pitch, the crowds are always friendly with good banter and the players always come into the bar and have a drink with the speccies after the game. Just like how it used to be in our great game.

Not having a go at you personally but I always find RL fans using the honesty card against Football as a weird one as RL has players feigning injuries and flailing around to get penalties a fair amount. 

Archived