Player promotion

Just thinking about how little promotion the players , clubs and the governing bodies do; is it a Northern thing or a Rugby thing?

I cant think of too many players who would be suited to self promotion, maybe Sam Tompkins in his prime, Ashton Simms and maybe even Jon Wilkin to promote his coffee shops?

Do you think its something that should be promoted to raise the players and games profile?

I think its a mixture of those things, plus the money involved in our sport. One of Elstone's main media aims was to increase the profile of the game's personalities and the docu-series, weekly show and podcasts have been trying to do this.

Companies pay to be associated with athletes. In recent times in SL we have had quite a few low level aspects of this. Loads of players had XBlades boots about 8 years ago - this translated into loads of youngsters getting xblade boots. I know I was one of them! Kev Sinfield was sponsored by Canterbury in his final few seasons and of course we have SBW with his Adidas agreement now. I think everyone realises there is massive room for growth in that area.

Characters like Konrad Hurrell, (pre incident Anthony Gelling), JJB would in football have managers who would direct some of their social media content etc to maximise the value. 

Its a constant battle to be interesting and relevant. 

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I think its a mixture of those things, plus the money involved in our sport. One of Elstone's main media aims was to increase the profile of the game's personalities and the docu-series, weekly show and podcasts have been trying to do this.

Companies pay to be associated with athletes. In recent times in SL we have had quite a few low level aspects of this. Loads of players had XBlades boots about 8 years ago - this translated into loads of youngsters getting xblade boots. I know I was one of them! Kev Sinfield was sponsored by Canterbury in his final few seasons and of course we have SBW with his Adidas agreement now. I think everyone realises there is massive room for growth in that area.

Characters like Konrad Hurrell, (pre incident Anthony Gelling), JJB would in football have managers who would direct some of their social media content etc to maximise the value. 

Its a constant battle to be interesting and relevant. 

Good points ,  some of the stuff is so easy but we just dont seem to try and break out of our natural domain

Archived