EAGLES ADMISSION PRICES

RS50

On 30/05/2020 at 16:31, Griff said:

Cuts down on cash handling on the day.

Lots of clubs offer a discount for online advance sales.  Nothing unusual here.

But, if the extra cost puts off fans from going, is it not harming the club?

It's not an extra cost.  It's a discount for booking early.

I say again, lots of clubs are doing the same.  If it lost them sales, they wouldn't do it.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 02/06/2020 at 18:09, Griff said:

It's not an extra cost.  It's a discount for booking early.

I say again, lots of clubs are doing the same.  If it lost them sales, they wouldn't do it.

I can not see how they would know if it lost them sales. They will know how many went, but not how many stayed away.

The reason I started this conversation, was:

A couple of years ago, I thought I may try to start attending some Eagles matches again. At the time I was recovering from serious health issues, and would not buy an advance ticket, in case I felt too unwell to attend on the day. The thought of having to pay a higher price (especially as I had good reasons for not wishing to commit) was not appealing, and I have not gone to any of their matches. 

1 hour ago, RS50 said:

I can not see how they would know if it lost them sales. They will know how many went, but not how many stayed away.

The reason I started this conversation, was:

A couple of years ago, I thought I may try to start attending some Eagles matches again. At the time I was recovering from serious health issues, and would not buy an advance ticket, in case I felt too unwell to attend on the day. The thought of having to pay a higher price (especially as I had good reasons for not wishing to commit) was not appealing, and I have not gone to any of their matches. 

Well, sorry about your health issues and I hope you've overcome them.

But the fact that most of the clubs in the league are doing the same suggests that it's not as bad an idea as you imply.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2020 at 17:25, Griff said:

Well, sorry about your health issues and I hope you've overcome them.

But the fact that most of the clubs in the league are doing the same suggests that it's not as bad an idea as you imply.

Thanks, my health now OK. I thank you for taking the time to explain the situation, even though I still personally, disagree with the situation.

12 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Thanks, my health now OK. I thank you for taking the time to explain the situation, even though I still personally, disagree with the situation.

I agree with you.But,sadly,this club isn't the only one that does it.

Bradford Bulls were worse.

Super League clubs provide tickets for away games,and the club taking up the option,and sell tickets to away games,retain a percentage.

Lower league clubs don't do that.I think the target audience from the match day - full price charge - is the away club follower.

Please retain your enthusiasm for the sport, and maybe attend a club where they don't employ the method.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

16 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I agree with you.But,sadly,this club isn't the only one that does it.

Bradford Bulls were worse.

Super League clubs provide tickets for away games,and the club taking up the option,and sell tickets to away games,retain a percentage.

Lower league clubs don't do that.I think the target audience from the match day - full price charge - is the away club follower.

Please retain your enthusiasm for the sport, and maybe attend a club where they don't employ the method.

To be clear, you don't want a discount for buying your ticket in advance?

hawk-eye.gif

I'm not seeing the down side of getting in cheaper.

Fair enough, you personally may have, in the past, not been in a position where you say you would be having a good day or a bad day when matchday came around but that's no reason to deny others a discount.

On 16/06/2020 at 16:36, hawk-eye said:

To be clear, you don't want a discount for buying your ticket in advance?

Fairness for all really.

I am also of the opinion that rugby league clubs deserve a bit of financial help.

However,it does seem unfair on the 'away' supporters - if that is who the target audience is.

If home supporters want a discount - it should be available in season ticket form,only.

If supporters cannot pay for a season ticket in one large up-front lump,then the club should arrange for a payment scheme.

I am not aware of other sports now reducing prior to a game - then increasing on match day.

I was of the opinion soccer stopped it,to prevent hooliganism.

I don't think the other code do it - and I don't think cinema and theatre do it.

With the financial hit the country and the sport has taken, maybe things will change.

It must work for Sheffield Eagles so no doubt it will continue.

19 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Fairness for all really.

I am also of the opinion that rugby league clubs deserve a bit of financial help.

However,it does seem unfair on the 'away' supporters - if that is who the target audience is.

If home supporters want a discount - it should be available in season ticket form,only.

If supporters cannot pay for a season ticket in one large up-front lump,then the club should arrange for a payment scheme.

I am not aware of other sports now reducing prior to a game - then increasing on match day.

I was of the opinion soccer stopped it,to prevent hooliganism.

I don't think the other code do it - and I don't think cinema and theatre do it.

With the financial hit the country and the sport has taken, maybe things will change.

It must work for Sheffield Eagles so no doubt it will continue.

The Eagles website makes advance tickets available to all, please check it out prior to your next visit.

Why should home supporters only have the option of buying a season ticket to obtain a discount, "Fairness for all really"?

Some home supporter may have family or work commitments which means a season ticket is not value for money.

Frankly, I don't care what other sports may, or may not, offer, I care deeply about the Eagles maximising their gate and staying in business. The evidence is that the current structure works.

hawk-eye.gif

22 minutes ago, hawk-eye said:

The Eagles website makes advance tickets available to all, please check it out prior to your next visit.

Why should home supporters only have the option of buying a season ticket to obtain a discount, "Fairness for all really"?

Some home supporter may have family or work commitments which means a season ticket is not value for money.

Frankly, I don't care what other sports may, or may not, offer, I care deeply about the Eagles maximising their gate and staying in business. The evidence is that the current structure works.

Yea.Good luck with it.

As a former Eagles "committed and regular" supporter, who gradually got out of the habit of going, I must say that the thought of paying extra, unless buying advance ticket, does not encourage me to return to the fold.

I can not see how "saves on cash handling on the day" can be a reason. My bank cards do not stop working on Eagles match day.

Also, the less committed supporters, who may not wish to buy advance tickets, are also be less likely to buy one at a higher price. While the more committed supporters are of more value to the club, the lesser committed still have some value.

Would also like to ask. If a match is called off, are all monies, for pre-paid tickets, returned?

On 20/06/2020 at 15:40, RS50 said:

My bank cards do not stop working on Eagles match day.

How long are you prepared to queue ?  We haven't got much of a ground at the moment, let alone bank card technology on every turnstile. In fact, we haven't even got turnstiles.

Is it just Sheffield you've singled out or have you complained about every other club with a similar discount offer ?

Have you contacted the Board ?  What did they say ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2020 at 16:43, Griff said:

How long are you prepared to queue ?  We haven't got much of a ground at the moment, let alone bank card technology on every turnstile. In fact, we haven't even got turnstiles.

Is it just Sheffield you've singled out or have you complained about every other club with a similar discount offer ?

Have you contacted the Board ?  What did they say ?

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate you giving your views, although not quite the same as mine.

Did not realise things were that bad re turnstiles. Last time I went to see Eagles was around 2013 when they played at Owlerton.

I did not realise that this price differential was commonplace.I watch a different sport where it is not commonplace (and probably never will be). I only mentioned it on the Eagles forum, as, with Sheffield being my local club, probably the only team I would be going to support. I am not "anti" Sheffield Eagles in any way (apart from pricing policy). 

I have thought about going to some Eagles matches in the last few years. However, this price differential, was one of a few things putting me off from going, and I am sure that the club would welcome extra supporters/income.

Maybe they'll gain more supporters who'll see it as a discount than they lose by them seeing it as an extra charge.

You seem like a glass half empty guy.  Cheer up.  Look on the Brightside.

Featherstone have done this for a couple of years now. It's not an increase in admission price it's a  discount for buying early. It is also available for away supporters to buy on line. We can also buy tickets to away matches in advance from the club shop. These are not discounted but the club receives 20% of each sale. Non of the tickets are refundable so you take your chance.

5 hours ago, Mach said:

Featherstone have done this for a couple of years now. It's not an increase in admission price it's a  discount for buying early. It is also available for away supporters to buy on line. We can also buy tickets to away matches in advance from the club shop. These are not discounted but the club receives 20% of each sale. Non of the tickets are refundable so you take your chance.

Some clubs with a large travelling support do provide for their supporters to purchase away tickets from their home club.

Booking online incurs additional charges - so in some in some cases it means one pays more.

Anyway,post covid19  and the reduction of money exchanging hands, and perhaps the changing from tickets to cards, some new ideas may come into practice.

Trying to attract lapsed supporters may be a good idea.

• 4 months later...
On 26/11/2020 at 10:58, SHYTALK said:

If and advance ticket is purchased, how do you prove on match day that you have done so?. Presume the club will not want the expense of posting tickets.

You get an email with a QR code on it, which you can either print off or show at the gate :-)

Archived