Cardboard Fans

BC4D0DE9-D961-4258-8A1A-82A036D48F55.thumb.jpeg.bdb4688f1cce1cd8ccee7100c2e3d56d.jpeg

Did you spot them? The cardboard cutout fans in shot in the games so far this weekend. There were a few comical ones. 
Great idea though... fans can pay $22 (plus tax) and have their photos put on recyclable cardboard fan blanks.  
What next... cardboard commentators and summarisers ? Maybe you think some of them have been for some time? Not Vossy of course!

“For just $22 plus GST, NRL members and rugby league fans can have their photo printed on a 100% recyclable cut-out and placed in their team’s current home venue,” a press release stated. A $1 donation will be made from every purchase towards the Gotcha4Life Foundation.

Strict biosecurity measures introduced in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic exclude fans for now, although the NRL has set an ambitious target date of 1 July to welcome back at least a limited number.“

23 hours ago, Graham said:

BC4D0DE9-D961-4258-8A1A-82A036D48F55.thumb.jpeg.bdb4688f1cce1cd8ccee7100c2e3d56d.jpeg

Did you spot them? The cardboard cutout fans in shot in the games so far this weekend. There were a few comical ones. 
Great idea though... fans can pay $22 (plus tax) and have their photos put on recyclable cardboard fan blanks.  
What next... cardboard commentators and summarisers ? Maybe you think some of them have been for some time? Not Vossy of course!

“For just $22 plus GST, NRL members and rugby league fans can have their photo printed on a 100% recyclable cut-out and placed in their team’s current home venue,” a press release stated. A $1 donation will be made from every purchase towards the Gotcha4Life Foundation.

Strict biosecurity measures introduced in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic exclude fans for now, although the NRL has set an ambitious target date of 1 July to welcome back at least a limited number.“

I'm tempted with doing it myself this week! 

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm tempted with doing it myself this week! 

Great idea... well worth it. It is better when they are put close together like a real crowd (pre virus) would be.

I believe I saw some set out in shots of AAAMI Park where they were more spread out - socially distanced? - which I didn’t feel had the same impact.

52 minutes ago, Graham said:

Great idea... well worth it. It is better when they are put close together like a real crowd (pre virus) would be.

I believe I saw some set out in shots of AAAMI Park where they were more spread out - socially distanced? - which I didn’t feel had the same impact.

I see the Dominc Cummings one ended up in some of the papers.... Fantastic

Sadly, News.com.au report an image of Harold Shipman  spotted in today's Panthers/Knights game.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

1 hour ago, Irish Saint said:

Sadly, News.com.au report an image of Harold Shipman  spotted in today's Panthers/Knights game.

Now that is a downright nasty thing to do.

There’s absolutely no humour in that at all. It is a totally misjudged and disgraceful choice to make, if it is true.

If it is true it should be destroyed immediately.

After what you told me Irish Saint I checked it out and it’s true. I saw the evidence captured on a tv screenshot.

I will not show it on here and ask that no one tries to show it on this or any other forum.

I know a family that lost a young family member to this Shipman monster. He caused more permanent distress than can be imagined, the sort that can never be got over.

Some people need to get a grip on reality and realise that some things can never ever be funny. That cardboard cut out is one of them.

What an appalling  decision to commission it, to use it and to let it be seen in the context of a decent family game like ours.

2 hours ago, Graham said:

After what you told me Irish Saint I checked it out and it’s true. I saw the evidence captured on a tv screenshot.

I will not show it on here and ask that no one tries to show it on this or any other forum.

I know a family that lost a young family member to this Shipman monster. He caused more permanent distress than can be imagined, the sort that can never be got over.

Some people need to get a grip on reality and realise that some things can never ever be funny. That cardboard cut out is one of them.

What an appalling  decision to commission it, to use it and to let it be seen in the context of a decent family game like ours.

That is why I didnt post the link.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

It gets worse ... 

What started out as a fun and inclusive initiative has turned sour after the NRL’s scheme to put cardboard cut-outs of fans in stadiums was hijacked.

Over the weekend a photograph of mass murderer Harold Shipman made an appearance in the stands, then a TV sketch featured an image of Adolf Hitler, prompting furious criticism from Australia’s Jewish community.

The broadcaster and the show’s host subsequently apologised, while the NRL said it would review its screening process.

6 minutes ago, Graham said:

Sensible limitations should be applied.

I'm not sure how you would moderate it?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Maybe have somebody with some nouse receiving the images to be used and some sort of statement signed that it must not cause offense or it will be scrapped. I presume that somebody is vetting them already? E.G. there's no nudity or obscenity depicted.

There's always a chance that something will get through any system. Every effort should be made within reason. 

I would imagine the backlash against these images will already have concentrated the minds of the  people in clubs concerned in selling these cut outs. After all these things reflect on the clubs showing them as well as the idiots who think it's a lark.

25 minutes ago, Graham said:

Maybe have somebody with some nouse receiving the images to be used and some sort of statement signed that it must not cause offense or it will be scrapped. I presume that somebody is vetting them already? E.G. there's no nudity or obscenity depicted.

There's always a chance that something will get through any system. Every effort should be made within reason. 

I would imagine the backlash against these images will already have concentrated the minds of the  people in clubs concerned in selling these cut outs. After all these things reflect on the clubs showing them as well as the idiots who think it's a lark.

Maybe wrong but surely the clubs or NRL  put together the actual cut out from pictures provided so they should know or someone should twig when something’s dodgy ?

Matty John's has had to apologise  after super imposing an image of Hitler over one of the cut outs. Fox apologised for the offence it caused on his show. Matty has now come out and apologised as as he states " this is still a raw issue".  Then why did you do it?

Again I will not post the guardian link and Matty Johns shows are easily found on you tube

4 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

Matty John's has had to apologise  after super imposing an image of Hitler over one of the cut outs. Fox apologised for the offence it caused on his show. Matty has now come out and apologised as as he states " this is still a raw issue".  Then why did you do it?

Again I will not post the guardian link and Matty Johns shows are easily found on you tube

Because he’s idiotic but thinks he’s a comedian 

The Hitler one as Irish Saint reported was a pathetic shot at humour by Matty Johns and Co. 
Politics is a risky one to allow. The Dominic Cummins one may not be the most offensive one but it is political and opens the door to all sorts. The Shipman one needs investigation. I see no one has owned up to that abomination yet. It is being treated as genuine by the media to this point.

8 hours ago, Welsh RL & RU watcher said:

I though that Cummings and Shipman were photo shopped on there by someone in England. That Shipman one isn't genuine, is it? I don't think it is. 

I saw the Shipman one whilst watching the coverage of the game so it was genuine.

15 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

I saw the Shipman one whilst watching the coverage of the game so it was genuine.

I stand by my condemnations above and call for more oversight of the commissioning of these cutouts by clubs to stop the idiots running the show.
There is no possible justification for using this cruel multi-murderer’s face on these cutouts.

On 01/06/2020 at 23:22, Graham said:

The Hitler one as Irish Saint reported was a pathetic shot at humour by Matty Johns and Co. 
Politics is a risky one to allow. The Dominic Cummins one may not be the most offensive one but it is political and opens the door to all sorts. The Shipman one needs investigation. I see no one has owned up to that abomination yet. It is being treated as genuine by the media to this point.

Why does it need an investigation?

It's obvious what happened in both the Shipman and Cummins cases; your average punter in Australia doesn't have a clue who they are, so when their images came up to be printed they didn't realise anything was wrong and just assumed that they were some random blokes like the rest of the pictures. 

I mean put it this way, would you or your average pom know who Ivan Milat and Michael McCormack were just by looking at their picture, probably not right.

Now that it's happened the restrictions on what gets printed will be tighter.

Archived