In The Times this morning, the 'Saturday Interview' is with Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the Speaker of the House of Commons.  As usual, in a box separate from the main interview, the interviewee is asked to make some snap choices between two options.  Two of Mr Speaker's are as follows:

Rugby League or Cricket?  That is so tough...I love both equally.  Rugby league.

Bolton Wanderers or Warrington Wolves?  One plays summer and one plays winter, so both.

I presume that at some point, sooner rather than later, Sir Lindsay will be guest of honour and trophy presenter at one of our top competition finals, so either the Grand Final or Challenge Cup final.

Now that sounds like one very sensible man.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Lindsay  Hoyle chaired Chorley when  they were kicked  out of the pro game in the direction of the NCL

. Great fellow . Ex shop Steward at Leyland Motors I am told. Held his  clubs corner in front of NCL committee as they tried to assimilate  their semi-pro's  ( we managed it ) into the strictly amateur based NCL Those were the days !!

Google Chorley Lynx for an interesting Wiki read.

In our game we now have the Father of the  House of Lords and the Speaker of the Commons  ( even though they are both Wire ) in our corner at the highest level . Not too bad for a tough honest working class northern  game   so belittled   by our southern  ' superiors  ' for over a hundred years.... and all of them from International coaches  down to players now  learning from us all the time.....

1 hour ago, M j M said:

How old do you have to be to end up the Father of the House of Lords!

The Lord Hoyle of Warrington (aka Doug) is 90.  I am not aware that the description Father of the House of Lords is used, and even if it was, I don't think the title would be held by Lord Hoyle.  Nevertheless, great to see such out-and-out rugby league fans in these places.

Last year I attended a local cricket match at Adlington near Chorley and Lord Hoyle(Doug) was there watching the match and I had a long chat with him about cricket and Rugby League plus  Lindsay’s new role as speaker of the House Of Commons and it was clear that both father and son were both decent people and avid Rugby and Cricket fans.

After about an hour Lord Hoyle’s mobile rang and after the call he said to me “That was Lindsay, he always gives me.some time at the Cricket then he comes and picks me up”

That says a lot about both men.

13 hours ago, del capo said:

In our game we now have the Father of the  House of Lords and the Speaker of the Commons  ( even though they are both Wire ) in our corner at the highest level .

At Warrington we also have Chris Evans, Ross Kemp, Stuart Pearce, Neil Fairbrother and Prince Harry*.

*Disclaimer.   I might have made that last one up.   But it's true that I saw him at a game Warrington were playing in; I think it was a round of the cup.   I remember him smiling and shaking hands with Chris Hill so he must be a Wire.

23 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

At Warrington we also have Chris Evans, Ross Kemp, Stuart Pearce, Neil Fairbrother and Prince Harry*.

*Disclaimer.   I might have made that last one up.   But it's true that I saw him at a game Warrington were playing in; I think it was a round of the cup.   I remember him smiling and shaking hands with Chris Hill so he must be a Wire.

Don't forget Adam Hills.

2 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Don't forget Adam Hills.

And Alastair Campbell. Glamour club.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

20 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

In The Times this morning, the 'Saturday Interview' is with Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the Speaker of the House of Commons.  As usual, in a box separate from the main interview, the interviewee is asked to make some snap choices between two options.  Two of Mr Speaker's are as follows:

Rugby League or Cricket?  That is so tough...I love both equally.  Rugby league.

Bolton Wanderers or Warrington Wolves?  One plays summer and one plays winter, so both.

I presume that at some point, sooner rather than later, Sir Lindsay will be guest of honour and trophy presenter at one of our top competition finals, so either the Grand Final or Challenge Cup final.

Politicians answer - still nice to have someone in the seat of Power who is pro-League

8 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

And Alastair Campbell. Glamour club.

His endorsement is nothing to be proud of.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

I thought Alastair Campbell was a Keighley fan?

He is first of all an Alastair Campbell fan, then a Burnley FC fan especially when they are doing well and/or in the headlines.

Archived