Has the rugby league scoring system always been like this?

I seem to remember that at one time (19th century) soccer also had the fair catch and mark rule.  The one time you could handle the ball in the field of play. I believe Aussie rules still has the mark as does GAA

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

2 hours ago, Griff said:

They're very mathematical in Australia.

So why is the loose forward called a lock and not a three eighth back ?

They went metric before we did didn't they? Surely a stand off should be a 0.625 and a loose forward 0.375?

47 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I seem to remember that at one time (19th century) soccer also had the fair catch and mark rule.  The one time you could handle the ball in the field of play. I believe Aussie rules still has the mark as does GAA

Yes, Australian Rules still has a mark, but you need not be on the ground to claim it; indeed, it is the most spectacular feature of the game that marks are taken by very airborne players, often gaining purchase and time by 'riding' on the back of an opponent or team-mate.

No, unless things have changed since I played a little GAA, there is no mark in Gaelic Football.  In recent years, I have seen games on satellite TV, and do not recall marks being claimed.

That said, marks are allowed in the hybrid 'international rules' matches between the Aussie Rules footballers of Australia and the GAA footballers of Ireland.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Honestly, I'm just trying to clarify why you would say (about using the term field goal) "but, as with anything else, because they do it then we have to follow" when we obviously haven't followed them and still continue to use drop goal as we always did.

RLDWSS is very precious about these things I wouldn't bother being too worried

The answer to why Aussie influence has spread over when British namings has done less so is almost certainly because Australians have spread more - coaches, players and administrators. 

More people in the professional game have been coached by Australians meaning their terminology takes over even if in general we aren't a nation under their cultural influence (as New Zealand or the Pacific could be seen). That said I don't think its anything like as prevalent as is made out by some. They sound awfully like the English football fans who were resistant to changing the WM, or later the 4-4-2, as it would somehow risk sullying the purity and heritage of the game.

A common one is calling defence "D". Which may be an Ozzie borrowing from America for all I know. That its generally a term by the coaches and players (ie the professionals) rather than the fans shows how it is professional parlance where Australian influence is especially prevalent.

Language is never static in spite of what we in the moment think. It changes over time and with the global village we live in now will probably change even quicker.

18 hours ago, POR said:

regards scoring

in 1897

• The value of a drop goal was reduced from four points to two points
  • The value of a penalty goal was reduced from three points to two points.
  • The value of a goal from mark was reduced from four points to two points
  • The value of a field goal was reduced from four points to two points.

in 1971

Value of a drop goal was reduced from two points to one point

in 1983

The value of try was increased from three points to four points

It’s interesting to see the common origins of a lot of the football variants in scoring systems eh, the field goal from a fair catch is basically the main scoring mechanism in Aussie Rules today. At one point rugby & football didn’t have the same offside concepts they do now either, making them even similar in practice and tactics to AFL

On a similar thought, I think Football also used to have the concept of a near-miss too, marked by flags either side near the goal - again, like the ‘behind’ in Aussie Rules 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

I think a lot of Aussie RL terminology has migrated via RL coaches into Union.  Terms such as "hit" "hard yard" "money ball"  "line speed" were terms never heard in RU until the advent of RL coaches.  And TBF present day Union looks a lot like unlimited tackle RL used to look.  The endlessly repeated "phases" are very reminiscent of the way teams would probe the defence  of their opponents with repeated charges at their line. They commit more players to the defensive line than they used to also.  The only difference is the lack of a 5 metre gap.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

17 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

It’s interesting to see the common origins of a lot of the football variants in scoring systems eh, the field goal from a fair catch is basically the main scoring mechanism in Aussie Rules today. At one point rugby & football didn’t have the same offside concepts they do now either, making them even similar in practice and tactics to AFL

On a similar thought, I think Football also used to have the concept of a near-miss too, marked by flags either side near the goal - again, like the ‘behind’ in Aussie Rules 

Canadian football still has a rouge point for a kick that misses the goal but goes dead in (or through?) the endzone.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 31/05/2020 at 16:08, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

That said, marks are allowed in the hybrid 'international rules' matches between the Aussie Rules footballers of Australia and the GAA footballers of Ireland.

You're out of date.  There is a mark in GAA but only on a trial basis.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Archived