Will the Championship be resuming?

9 hours ago, SL17 said:

Guys there is an opportunity to open the game. Why are people sat waiting?

Again! Why are people waiting for answers   Instead of creating them?

Is it because of this coronavirus thing ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

The essence of RL is that it is a spectator sport, this being the reason for the 1895 split. Without spectators there is no Championship RL.

What are you proposing to open, exactly?

I actually think that it'd be quite insulting to supporters to play without spectators.

It's like saying "there's a game on but you can't watch it."

12 hours ago, SL17 said:

Was but not now.  Go  read the rules..

You can still work if furloughed.. Just this sport can’t see it or ignores it.

If you are furloughed , you can work for somebody else , but not for the employer furloughing you 

Well that's how I understand it , happy to be proven wrong 

15 hours ago, SL17 said:

So it’s not impossible to resume play. Given the government will be funding 60% of their wages.

You misunderstand the recent change. The government will pay 80% of the salary (falling to 60% by October) of contracted hours not worked. They won't pay part of any contracted hours that are worked. So players - even part-time ones - won't get any part of their wages paid by the government if they are doing what they are contracted to do.

The only way the government would pay part of a player's wage is if the clubs asked them to do less work than normal - that means play fewer games or train less often. Neither of which would work in this scenario.      

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

If you are furloughed , you can work for somebody else , but not for the employer furloughing you 

Well that's how I understand it , happy to be proven wrong 

Yeah - you were right.

But now you're not.  There were changes announced last week, taking effect next month.

Try to keep up.......?

22 minutes ago, Griff said:

Yeah - you were right.

But now you're not.  There were changes announced last week, taking effect next month.

Try to keep up.......?

I'm self employed so I haven't really been bothered

Either way ,championship isn't happening this year 

36 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

The Championship will be played Autumn/Winter if not earlier

No it won't.

Hardly anyone wants to play and there won't be any promotion for those who do.

Not adding much to this debate but I’m really missing live rugby league which means either Championship or L1 in London. 

2 hours ago, Griff said:

No it won't.

Hardly anyone wants to play and there won't be any promotion for those who do.

So a lot of fans will probably think why waste their time and money on  what inefect are friendlies. 

10 hours ago, DEANO said:

So who’s going to pay for all the tests

I saw it suggested that it would cost clubs about £3K to do a batch of tests.That is an expense that Championship or Championship 1 clubs on top of paying the players wages once again as they would be off furlough....and without gate money simply cannot afford to do.

You don’t need to be a genius at maths to work that one out.

Still don’t see the motivation for the Championship and League 1 to resume. As someone has already pointed out there’s likely to be no promotion or relegation, players would need to be brought out of furlough, there’s the cost of testing, plus the complication of most of the players being part time, no possibility of fans being allowed for some months and if that’s not enough there’s no broadcaster insisting they fulfill a contract, so no need to play to satisfy a TV deal. So can someone please tell me what the Championship and League 1 have to gain from playing, because I can’t for the life of me work out what it is.

13 hours ago, MADREDNIGE said:

So a lot of fans will probably think why waste their time and money on  what inefect are friendlies. 

If they're allowed to go.

Which is a big assumption.

8 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Still don’t see the motivation for the Championship and League 1 to resume. As someone has already pointed out there’s likely to be no promotion or relegation, players would need to be brought out of furlough, there’s the cost of testing, plus the complication of most of the players being part time, no possibility of fans being allowed for some months and if that’s not enough there’s no broadcaster insisting they fulfill a contract, so no need to play to satisfy a TV deal. So can someone please tell me what the Championship and League 1 have to gain from playing, because I can’t for the life of me work out what it is.

Hallelujah.

Someone else speaks the same language as me.

And you are right.

Championship and Championship 1 clubs have got absolutely nothing to gain,unfortunately from resuming the season and playing again.

And if these clubs were to resume then very soon they would be in serious financial trouble.

14 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

Hallelujah.

And you are right.

Championship and Championship 1 clubs have got absolutely nothing to gain,unfortunately from resuming the season and playing again.

And if these clubs were to resume then very soon they would be in serious financial trouble.

Nothing to gain , but plenty to lose 

Restart on Boxing day , giving time to comfortably get through a full season and prepare for a hopefully succssessful World Cup 

58 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Nothing to gain , but plenty to lose 

Restart on Boxing day , giving time to comfortably get through a full season and prepare for a hopefully succssessful World Cup 

OK - so what we're saying is that we've 20 games of the 2020 season to fit in between Boxing Day and the end of January.  A game every other day will just about do it.  I'm not seeing the  Div 2 and 3 clubs going for it.

Just now, Griff said:

OK - so what we're saying is that we've 20 games of the 2020 season to fit in between Boxing Day and the end of January.  A game every other day will just about do it.  I'm not seeing the  Div 2 and 3 clubs going for it.

No , I mean start the 2021 season on boxing Day , hopefully with decent attendances , an extra 5/6 weeks will give time for a full season , and whatever C Cup and 1895 matches to be held at the weekends and finish in time for some proper preparation for the WC , don't forget plenty of Championship part timers play for the home nations 

In terms of what needs to be done to even facilitate training right now, this 4 post thread from a non league football team may be useful:

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Hallelujah.

And you are right.

It's really all about the likes of Derek Beaumont holding out for the hope that promotion and relegation might still happen.

The best thing that could happen to end the uncertainty would be a clear statement from the RFL that there won't be any promotion and relegation this season. At that point, any talk of the season starting up will vanish like the mist...

9 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

It's really all about the likes of Derek Beaumont holding out for the hope that promotion and relegation might still happen.

The best thing that could happen to end the uncertainty would be a clear statement from the RFL that there won't be any promotion and relegation this season. At that point, any talk of the season starting up will vanish like the mist...

I will go along with that.

5 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

For me I don't understand how the season doesn't start for the championship/1 December to July then the club going up have a chance etc... 

it used to happen etc 

And that club then goes 6 months without a game. Bit daft, really. 

15 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

I think thats a pretty frank analysis of the situation. 

Nobody wants to make rash arguments like that though.

19 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

No , I mean start the 2021 season on boxing Day , hopefully with decent attendances , an extra 5/6 weeks will give time for a full season , and whatever C Cup and 1895 matches to be held at the weekends and finish in time for some proper preparation for the WC , don't forget plenty of Championship part timers play for the home nations 

Start in March.

Play less games.

I don't understand this enthusiasm for standing out in the cold.

Archived