‘Six more tackles’ to be considered by RFL

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good what little I've seen of it but that is when the attacking team is in the opposition's half. The one draw back is that if you got a "six again" on your own 20 mtr line you'd be better off with a pen, kick to touch and start the set around the half way/40 mtr line.

Worth considering for 2021 but I don't like changing the rules once a season has started. 

1 hour ago, silverback said:

i think its a great  way to keep game flowing,and am loving those cardboard crowds there ace,idea nicked of kayakman i reckon,:kolobok_preved:

And i think that right at the 50 m line, 10 rows up, with a circle of empty seats around him, there should be a picture of William Webb Ellis sitting proudly watching THE GAME OF THE BETTER CODE WHICH HE INVENTED!

Wouldn't that get the Union Boys upset.

william-webb-ellis-granger.jpg

From the 4 matches I’ve seen, it looks good so far.

Need to keep an eye on the numbers though, intuitively feels like an easier decision to make than a penalty - wouldn’t want referees to be able to unduly help an attacking side get a roll on through quick decisions on ‘maybe’ ruck infringements - if the volume is higher than previous penalty counts I’d be concerned 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Seems to have speeded things up here.  Refs seem to find it easier to call 6 penalty as well, so those marginal calls which let teams like the Storm push the rules to the limit really hurt them. The main difference is the reintroduction of fatigue - there are times when defenders would happily give away a penalty to give them a short breather/time to reset the line.  Its far harder to slow the game down when the attackers can just keep going.

Something has to be done to stop the players and coaches from totally destroying the game. At present,virtually every single tackle could be penalised for trying to slow the game. If referees are not prepared to sin bin players from the first minute,then from the couple of Australian games I've seen,six again is the best solution.Congratulations to the Australians for apparently finding a solution.The players had stopped my enjoyment of the game,as either they slowed the game or the poor referee had to continually blow his whistle. Ofcourse then,it was the referee who was criticised,not the coachesand players.

12 minutes ago, Forever Trinity said:

I don't think our ruck area is clean enough for this with the holding down and wrestling, sort that out and yes. At the moment one team would have possession for 40 minutes!

Teams would have to learn and adapt very quickly then...

I wasn't too sure on the ruing when i first saw it being used in the Brisbane V Parra game, but in the subsequent games its grown on me. Still think it's something that needs a few more weeks to see its real impact, but good signs initially.

That being said, i'm not that confident we'd see a similar response from the teams in the SL. I think we'd see some real blow outs initially and some failing to grasp the attacking opportunity ie lots more hit ups down the middle. Maybe i'm just being a bit over critical of SL, but im not as confident of our teams adapting in the same positive way the NRL teams have.

I'd much rather we sort out the PTB (get a foot on it!) for the remainder of this season, then announce any changes such as the 6 again rule, and if we do switch, which is likely, all the teams have a full pre-season of preperation, not just in adapting to the rule change, but also in terms of any additional fitness, which will be needed by many.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

According to The Australian newspaper:

Players in the Roosters-Rabbitohs match on Friday night had almost 55 minutes with the ball in play. That’s six minutes more than the average last year. Six minutes more value for your money.“

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-leagues-transformation-should-worry-union/news-story/68ee570198e5316fb089b2bd21a9897b

6 hours ago, cookey said:

Something has to be done to stop the players and coaches from totally destroying the game. At present,virtually every single tackle could be penalised for trying to slow the game. If referees are not prepared to sin bin players from the first minute,then from the couple of Australian games I've seen,six again is the best solution.Congratulations to the Australians for apparently finding a solution.The players had stopped my enjoyment of the game,as either they slowed the game or the poor referee had to continually blow his whistle. Ofcourse then,it was the referee who was criticised,not the coachesand players.

Slowing the game (or the attacker) down has been going on for a very long time.  Certainly up the the 60’s.  It’s not new and was more blatant then in my opinion.

We forget that in this modern age, the attacker is coached to ‘win’ a penalty.  It’s carp but it’s just professionalism.

I think its generally been a good introduction in the NRL and if introduced in SL should see teams cut out a lot of the messing around in the ruck (O'Loughlin might as well retire now ? )

One element I haven't seen used yet is the penalising of the attacking team for milking. The commentators mentioned that this was also an option for the Ref now if they committed an infringement in the ruck in an attempt to milk a penalty (or get 6 more tackles)

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

6 hours ago, Copa said:

According to The Australian newspaper:

Players in the Roosters-Rabbitohs match on Friday night had almost 55 minutes with the ball in play. That’s six minutes more than the average last year. Six minutes more value for your money.“

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-leagues-transformation-should-worry-union/news-story/68ee570198e5316fb089b2bd21a9897b

‘The result is a game transformed. V’landys promised to make rugby league more entertaining with more opportunity for the truly skilled players to shine and he has succeeded.

’While NRL fans are loving it, over in the troubled world of Australian rugby union, they will be beside themselves. When the domestic-only Super Rugby competition — mired in endless penalties, five-minute scrums and rolling mauls — finally gets going, how boring will it look in comparison to the new-look rugby league?’

Good article. Six-again (and one ref) is a bit of a great leap forward for the NRL and very exciting. It promises to make every game a good watch.

I’m rapidly coming to the conclusion this should be a worldwide rule ASAP so it’s in place for the World Cup.

it strikes me, as the other thread on this does too, that those who have watched it have a different view to those that have not.. theory and practice are not always the same.

7 minutes ago, RP London said:

it strikes me, as the other thread on this does too, that those who have watched it have a different view to those that have not.. theory and practice are not always the same.

Indeed.  

I'm happy for people to have different opinions but at least base your opinion on actually watching the law change in question rather than just making assumptions.  It's like a juror not bothering to listen to the case because they know already what would have happened.

It's infuriating.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

59 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

‘The result is a game transformed. V’landys promised to make rugby league more entertaining with more opportunity for the truly skilled players to shine and he has succeeded.

’While NRL fans are loving it, over in the troubled world of Australian rugby union, they will be beside themselves. When the domestic-only Super Rugby competition — mired in endless penalties, five-minute scrums and rolling mauls — finally gets going, how boring will it look in comparison to the new-look rugby league?’

Good article. Six-again (and one ref) is a bit of a great leap forward for the NRL and very exciting. It promises to make every game a good watch.

I’m rapidly coming to the conclusion this should be a worldwide rule ASAP so it’s in place for the World Cup.

I`m not convinced that the decline in Super Rugby is due to the usual Union shortcomings like "five-minute scrums and rolling mauls". Most SR games are open and high-scoring, but that might be their problem. It looks like glorified sevens, too much space, too easy to score. When they initially put this more superficial product on the market it was very popular, but over time tailed off, and has kept tailing off. 

The NRL should be careful. A more transparently "entertaining" product could yield short-term benefits, but getting the right balance between attack and defence will retain interest long-term.

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Slowing the game (or the attacker) down has been going on for a very long time.  Certainly up the the 60’s.  It’s not new and was more blatant then in my opinion.

We forget that in this modern age, the attacker is coached to ‘win’ a penalty.  It’s carp but it’s just professionalism.

Defenders are often in the moment when making and completing a tackle. They`re not necessarily thinking strategically, just looking to win this discrete contest.

A lot of ruck penalties are not simple cases of holding on too long, they are more technical matters relating to the body positions at the point of completion of the tackle. Even when the illegality is sheer length of time, defenders will rightly go to the edge of what`s allowed. It`s no more their job to facilitate quicker ruck speed than it is to obligingly step aside to let the ball- carrier through unopposed.

We've only had one round of it so far. Let's see if some of the coaches figure out crafty ways of gaming the new rule.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Key stats: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/why-annesley-not-v-landys-deserves-credit-for-ruck-revolution-20200601-p54yfr.html

‘There were 303 play-the-balls for the round; that’s 30 more than the average in rounds one, two and the 2019 average.

Nine penalties per game; down from an average of 13 in 2019 and 14 in rounds one and two. There were 72 penalties across the round compared to 101 in round three last year.

The ball was in play an average of 57 and a half minutes per match. That’s up four minutes on round three last year. The Panthers-Knights game had 72 minutes of ball-in-play, albeit with 10 minutes of extra time.

There were 6.25 tries per game, which is half a try per game up compared to rounds one and two but still less than the average 6.6 in 2019.

There were eight line-breaks per game, which is 0.6 a game higher than 2019 and 2.75 per game higher than in rounds one and two.

The drop to one referee did not slow down ruck speeds relative to 2019 averages. The average play-the-ball speed was 3.45 seconds in round three compared to 3.48 seconds across 2019.’

DEA78FC0-8DED-4F6F-9AF2-AB08EA86E3B5.png

Archived