Oliver Gildart NRL Bound

Good luck to him and every other English player that goes to the NRL. Can earn twice as much money whilst playing in a better standard competition, with better facilities and a higher profile.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

A quick google search suggests this has already got some response in the media. And some chat on a Wests Tigers forum.

Best of luck to him if he makes the switch.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

The Sydney Roosters will need a centre and a winger if the Morris twins retire at the end of this year. If the Sydney Roosters want Oliver Gildart, the Sydney Roosters will get Oliver Gildart.

I think he will need to build up his size if he wants to compete day in, day out in the NRL. 

When you see the NRL backs they're all massive in comparison to Gildart and a lot of other English backs.

I do wonder if this is because of superior gym facilities at lower age ranks perhaps, or if it's because the NRL just have a bigger talent pool so more big guys.

27 minutes ago, Click said:

I think he will need to build up his size if he wants to compete day in, day out in the NRL. 

When you see the NRL backs they're all massive in comparison to Gildart and a lot of other English backs.

I do wonder if this is because of superior gym facilities at lower age ranks perhaps, or if it's because the NRL just have a bigger talent pool so more big guys.

Bigger playing pool there the top athletes. But what does really help from a size perspective is having a high population of Pacific Islanders in Aus and NZ.

11 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Speculation this is the case after he signed with Australian player manager Sam Ayoub.

He has to play yet this season.  

He may not have size of these fat islanders, but he has pace and elusiveness.  

Wigan will be getting fed up of these fat transfer fees from desperate Aussie clubs.  Unlike Warrington who throw money away at past it never was centres.

53 minutes ago, Click said:

John Bateman was "not big enough" too. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Let's keep trying to reduce the UK salary cap so we can send all our outstanding young players to the NRL ? 

having watched bulldogs - manly- the dragons etc this weekend there are a lot of very ordinary players in their comp and not many outstanding youngsters

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

18 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

having watched bulldogs - manly- the dragons etc this weekend there are a lot of very ordinary players in their comp and not many outstanding youngsters

Theres not many outstanding youngsters?

Are you on drugs? 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

On 01/06/2020 at 10:52, Click said:

Or is it the ethnicity of most of the players these days that populate the NRLat one time it was generally descendants from these isles not so much these days more Pacific region influence.

The sad truth is that the NRL clubs can pay these young English lads more money, and with a short career, and a restrictive cap on earnings in the UK, then they are going to go.

I don't necessarily think it's a great thing that more players are starting to go over. The game is on it's backside as it is without taking all the best players out of it.

Plus, I don't get this "It's great for the England team". Is it? What is the point of having a competitive England team if the majority of the players are drawn from Australian clubs whilst our clubs are slowly dying?

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Or is it the ethnicity of most of the players these days that populate the NRLat one time it was generally descendants from these isles not so much these days more Pacific region influence.

I was more so comparing him with White Australians rather than the pacific islander players where genetics are moreso a factor.

The young Aussie backs tend to have more bulk to them compared to ours.

4 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

The sad truth is that the NRL clubs can pay these young English lads more money, and with a short career, and a restrictive cap on earnings in the UK, then they are going to go.

I don't necessarily think it's a great thing that more players are starting to go over. The game is on it's backside as it is without taking all the best players out of it.

Plus, I don't get this "It's great for the England team". Is it? What is the point of having a competitive England team if the majority of the players are drawn from Australian clubs whilst our clubs are slowly dying?

If the England national team is better for having the players ply their trade in the NRL and we're regularly beating the Aussies then it'll get more eyes on our sport, and hopefully get more spectators and kids playing it. If the national team is doing great then clubs can capitalise on that.

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If you look at the 'new' NRL from this weekend then being a lighter centre may well be a distinct advantage going forward 

I think I fear that he isn't as quick and elusive as Papenhuyzen, who isn't very big but is very good - but more in the vein of the Penrith or St George fullbacks at the weekend, who were ineffective as they got dominated in the tackle easily and lose yards on contact.

A centre needs to make more impact running the ball back nowadays, especially early in the set

Just now, Click said:

I think I fear that he isn't as quick and elusive as Papenhuyzen, who isn't very big but is very good - but more in the vein of the Penrith or St George fullbacks at the weekend, who were ineffective as they got dominated in the tackle easily and lose yards on contact.

A centre needs to make more impact running the ball back nowadays, especially early in the set

The last 30 minutes of games in the NRL are going to be fitness tests and bigger centres are going to blow.... Gildarts size means he should be able to come into his own in that part of the game. I also think his footwork may may make mince meat out of a tired bigger player who ain't gonna have the energy to make tackles never mind dominate them

Archived