Vote for your favourite rugby ground ever

Maureen T-k

Apart from the obvious my favourite ground is the old Barley Mow, at Bramley.

Uneven ground to say the least and the players got changed at the Barley Mow pub.

Worst ground must be Hull,  Leaving the car park is dreadful. Takes ages to get out.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't believe no one has nominated old Craven Park. 

The home fans were always very warm and welcoming as you got off the coach. Often shaking hands with arriving fans.

The impartiality and bonhomie of the HKR  fans is something that I'll never forget. The safety and enjoyment of visiting fans always paramount in the forefront of the minds of our Humberside cousins.

And what a shrine the stadium was, magnificent matching stands that blocked out the winds sweeping off of the Humber. 

Always generous applause from the locals as their opponents went over for a score. 

New Craven park though beautifully designed doesn't quite hold that welcoming feeling to visiting fans like the old one did. You still get the friendly East Yorkshire welcome, but something that I can't quite put my finger on has gone from the old stadium. 

So Old Craven Park is my nomination. 

5 minutes ago, Andrew Vause said:

Can't believe no one has nominated old Craven Park. 

The home fans were always very warm and welcoming as you got off the coach. Often shaking hands with arriving fans.

The impartiality and bonhomie of the HKR  fans is something that I'll never forget. The safety and enjoyment of visiting fans always paramount in the forefront of the minds of our Humberside cousins.

And what a shrine the stadium was, magnificent matching stands that blocked out the winds sweeping off of the Humber. 

Always generous applause from the locals as their opponents went over for a score. 

New Craven park though beautifully designed doesn't quite hold that welcoming feeling to visiting fans like the old one did. You still get the friendly East Yorkshire welcome, but something that I can't quite put my finger on has gone from the old stadium. 

So Old Craven Park is my nomination. 

You know what you are don't you!!! ????????

As an aside, whilst the demise of RL grounds is rarely a thing to be celebrated, I can't be the only one glad that we have steadily seen the back of RL grounds with either an athletics track or a speedway track round the perimeter. My binoculars went into cold storage when big screens were installed at most racecourses, and myopic RL fans no longer have to contend with many of them.

Don Valley and Owlerton, old Craven Park and now Odsal are gone, there's still Derwent Park and South Leeds Stadium left, not sure if there are any others?

17 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

As an aside, whilst the demise of RL grounds is rarely a thing to be celebrated, I can't be the only one glad that we have steadily seen the back of RL grounds with either an athletics track or a speedway track round the perimeter. My binoculars went into cold storage when big screens were installed at most racecourses, and myopic RL fans no longer have to contend with many of them.

Don Valley and Owlerton, old Craven Park and now Odsal are gone, there's still Derwent Park and South Leeds Stadium left, not sure if there are any others?

The Athletic Ground at Rochdale where you needed a Hubble telescope. 

One can never forget the delights of a relaxing couple of hours in the late 70s at the scenic Alt Park the home of Geoff Fletcher's Huyton. Huyton who years later even had a player called Arthur Daley playing for them. 

Now Alt Park was the pinnacle of all sporting amphitheatres. Rumour has it that when Sky TV produced Chernobyl they wanted to use the old site of Alt Park as the town of Prypiat but Ukrainian advisors said that Huyton was too austere and would make the series seem too desolute to be realistic. 

Yes, one does miss the metropolis of Huyton the town that brought us the delights of Peter Reid band Joey Barton. 

Hearing the names of these old grounds conjurers up all kinds of memories.

The old Fartown ground in Huddersfield where we Leeds in the ,67 semi.

The old Crown Flat at Dewsbury were on a supporters bus we couldn't find the ground.

Happy days.

Good thread to follow.

21 minutes ago, Andrew Vause said:

Not forgetting the once in a lifetime trip to Tattersfield. That was a ground and a half. 

Screenshot_20200621_191141.jpg

My first trip there was in the 80s. Fev had a blank weekend having been knocked out of the cup so I went to donny v Workington game. It rained. 

41 minutes ago, Andrew Vause said:

Not forgetting the once in a lifetime trip to Tattersfield. That was a ground and a half. 

Screenshot_20200621_191141.jpg

A still, I suspect, from the greatest sporting documentary of all time - edited to bold the allusion that I had missed in the original post...

I was there that day. That looks like John Marsden in the wing position he was to reprise to such good effect a few years later in the triumphant Cup run of 1983.

54 minutes ago, Andrew Vause said:

One can never forget the delights of a relaxing couple of hours in the late 70s at the scenic Alt Park the home of Geoff Fletcher's Huyton. Huyton who years later even had a player called Arthur Daley playing for them. 

Now Alt Park was the pinnacle of all sporting amphitheatres. Rumour has it that when Sky TV produced Chernobyl they wanted to use the old site of Alt Park as the town of Prypiat but Ukrainian advisors said that Huyton was too austere and would make the series seem too desolute to be realistic. 

Yes, one does miss the metropolis of Huyton the town that brought us the delights of Peter Reid band Joey Barton. 

I went to Huyton away and remember the front of the main stand had school chairs, the players walked across the pitch in a big line looking for broken glass or anything un towards on the pitch AND they locked the gates when the match kicked off. Always stuck in my mind as it was so different to other away games. 

1 hour ago, Bryan S Taylor said:

Hearing the names of these old grounds conjurers up all kinds of memories.

The old Fartown ground in Huddersfield where we Leeds in the ,67 semi.

The old Crown Flat at Dewsbury were on a supporters bus we couldn't find the ground.

Happy days.

Good thread to follow.

Seeing as it's Father's Day, one memory my dad used to tell me was about that game at Fartown in 67. My eldest brother then 16 went with my dad. They were in earshot of Eddie Waring's commentary the whole game. 

Waring was waxing lyrical about Leeds all game, saying that they were the better team, that Fev would tire, that Leeds' class would come through. 

At the final whistle my brother said dad went up to Mr Waring  and asked 'What price Leeds now Eddie?'.

Thanks for mentioning the Old Spotland Ground at Rochdale. Remember going over there in the mid 80's to watch Rochdale against York in the Challenge cup. Freezing day and at half time got a couple of hot drinks. I got to my place and was quickly followed by the Fella from the stall with my change. There's honesty for you. York won that day and went on to beat Waley in the second round and C#S in the third round.

1 hour ago, Bryan S Taylor said:

Thanks for mentioning the Old Spotland Ground at Rochdale. Remember going over there in the mid 80's to watch Rochdale against York in the Challenge cup. Freezing day and at half time got a couple of hot drinks. I got to my place and was quickly followed by the Fella from the stall with my change. There's honesty for you. York won that day and went on to beat Waley in the second round and C#S in the third round.

I'd be surprised if it was Spotland Bryan. 

York beat CAS in 84 or 85. Rochdale still played at Athletic Ground then. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 21/06/2020 at 18:15, The Phantom Horseman said:

Speedway track has now been removed at Derwent Park and new pitch laid.

Agree that the Owlerton was awful and totally lacked atmosphere but I still prefer the old grounds over the modern breeze block ones.Give me Cougar Park,Mount Pleasant and Craven Park Barrow any day.

Archived