Brisbane Firehawks

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

That name sounds stupid 

That's what I thought at first, but after realising what a ''Firehawk'' is, I don't mind it. Uniquely Australian and better than the other bid name ''Bombers,'' imo.

Just now, MattSantos said:

The other team names are relatable things we know.

Firehawks one minute, the bombers the next.

Journalism is really poo isnt it.

They are just reporting on the different bid options which may appear.

Your issue?

58 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

That's what I thought at first, but after realising what a ''Firehawk'' is, I don't mind it. Uniquely Australian and better than the other bid name ''Bombers,'' imo.

Well? What is a Firehawk?

19 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Well? What is a Firehawk?

It is a name given to at least three species of raptors (back kite, whistling kite, and brown falcon) native to Australia.

firehawks.thumb.jpg.b6d4bffcc260c3d091ab7cae3a8891a1.jpg

These birds act as propagators of wild fires, picking up burning sticks from one fire and taking them to another area to try and lure out prey.   The name 'firehawk' was given to these birds by Australia's indigenous population who have stories dating back thousands of years around the practices of these birds.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s different, has a bit of meaning within Australia and isn’t following the mundane route of an alliterated name. 

Indeed, so much better than Rhinos, Tigers etc. The first response to this thread was so typical of this forum it made me laugh. 

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Indeed, so much better than Rhinos, Tigers etc. The first response to this thread was so typical of this forum it made me laugh. 

While there may be no Lions roaming the streets of North-West Manchester these days (M27), at least we had an excuse for our name.

12 hours ago, Copa said:

The name feels a bit tone deaf for Australia. 

The natural disasters that hit Brisbane are floods. The bushfires are typically bigger issues in the southern states.  

Easts are famous for their orange and black jersey. If they can’t call themselves the Tigers but want to keep their historic colours then I can understand going with a fire theme.

17 minutes ago, GreenAndGold said:

The natural disasters that hit Brisbane are floods. The bushfires are typically bigger issues in the southern states.  

Easts are famous for their orange and black jersey. If they can’t call themselves the Tigers but want to keep their historic colours then I can understand going with a fire theme.

Always thought Wests Tigers should have stuck with the classic Balmain jersey rather than trying to be all things. If Brisbane Easts make a joint bid with Redcliffe that would mean orange, black, red and white. Avant-Garde jersey designers will be priming their spray-guns.

Forget about a second Brisbane team, what's required first are teams in Perth and Adelade.A second team in Brisbane will only split the Bronco's gates.

As genuine and indigenous as a firehawk may be, it just sounds like the marketing manager has 8 of 12 credits in an Introduction To Marketing PT TAFE course.

Which is more than I can say for those responsible for thinking Brisbane Bombers is a good name.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Always thought Wests Tigers should have stuck with the classic Balmain jersey rather than trying to be all things. If Brisbane Easts make a joint bid with Redcliffe that would mean orange, black, red and white. Avant-Garde jersey designers will be priming their spray-guns.

Though I guess it's not impossible, a merger between Easts and Redcliffe would make little sense. Redcliffe is from the very north of Brisbane and Coorparoo (where Easts are from) is south of the river, so it'd be a bit like Manly merging with St. George Illawarra, it'd be a bit disjointed and wouldn't make much sense.

It'd make more sense if they made a joint bid with Wynnum Manly or Souths Logan.   

BTW if Wests had stuck with Balmain stuff, and the merger effectively became a hostile takeover of the Magpies by the Tigers, then they probably wouldn't exist today.

Balmain wen't broke about a decade ago, so had they pushed Western Suburbs out (which is what would have happened if they didn't make some concessions), the NRL club would have gone broke with them.

1 hour ago, frank said:

Forget about a second Brisbane team, what's required first are teams in Perth and Adelade.A second team in Brisbane will only split the Bronco's gates.

No it won't

Plenty of people in Brisbane cannot stand the Broncos and it would allow there to be a game every weekend in a City that loves Rugby League more than just about anywhere else.

There are lots of people from the southern states living in Qld and Brisbane that would go to the games as the  away teams fans.

Adelaide would need propping up for decades before they made any money.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

9 minutes ago, Allora said:

No it won't

Plenty of people in Brisbane cannot stand the Broncos and it would allow there to be a game every weekend in a City that loves Rugby League more than just about anywhere else.

There are lots of people from the southern states living in Qld and Brisbane that would go to the games as the  away teams fans.

Adelaide would need propping up for decades before they made any money.

The last time you made this claim I asked for some evidence to back it up. I'm not doubting that a lot of people don't follow the Broncos, but I'm still yet to see any concrete information, beyond anecdotes, that these people would support a new NRL club.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

29 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

The last time you made this claim I asked for some evidence to back it up. I'm not doubting that a lot of people don't follow the Broncos, but I'm still yet to see any concrete information, beyond anecdotes, that these people would support a new NRL club.

What evidence do you want? Because it seems unrealistic to expect something like a survey or a study into people in Brisbane that don't like the Broncos lol.

What he says is true, there're huge groups of people in Brisbane that hate the Broncos with a passion for all different reasons (the main groups are the ex-BRL and QRL fans, and ex-pats), and many of them are just waiting for an alternative to support.

Now I admit that there are to many conflicting interests to get all of those people to support a single alternative, but done right a second Brisbane club could be the second biggest club in the NRL (behind the Broncos) from the get go.

Archived