Ealing community club launched

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

That’s great, when did they cease operating?

sort of around 1996, 97 somewhere around then, they played in Roundwood Park, Longtone Rd., Willesden for most of that period, based at the Longstone Social Club, which according to Google street view is now a building site, although they did spend 1990-92 at Northwick Park

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Great news indeed!  Every club (whether in heartland areas or not) should be actively looking to establish new clubs, or help strengthen existing ones, wherever possible.  It will benefit them all in the long run.

I totally agree. In fact I'd go further and make supporting grassroot clubs a requirement of being in SL.

E.g. (only!):

Saints to support two junior clubs in Merseyside - help with coaching, organisational support, purchase kit etc

Wigan to support one each in Bolton and Preston

Hull ... Bridlington and Scarborough

Etc etc

Examples only

7 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

sort of around 1996, 97 somewhere around then, they played in Roundwood Park, Longtone Rd., Willesden for most of that period, based at the Longstone Social Club, which according to Google street view is now a building site, although they did spend 1990-92 at Northwick Park

Was that the Irish social club ? Have vague memories of playing there last match before Xmas one year and were made very welcome, especially when the poteen (check spelling) came round.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

I remember a couple of amateur teams popped up soon after Fulham started....I think Fulham Amateurs and Fulham Travellers, and there might have been another too. For a short time it looked like localised amateur RL could go big and to places previously considered impossible but I think these sides folded soon after Ernie Clay pulled the plug and in so doing destabilised this emerging scene. This would be the early 1980s.

Anyone remember the Fulham amateur sides, who was behind them, and why and when they vanished?

4 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

I remember a couple of amateur teams popped up soon after Fulham started....I think Fulham Amateurs and Fulham Travellers, and there might have been another too. For a short time it looked like localised amateur RL could go big and to places previously considered impossible but I think these sides folded soon after Ernie Clay pulled the plug and in so doing destabilised this emerging scene. This would be the early 1980s.

Anyone remember the Fulham amateur sides, who was behind them, and why and when they vanished?

Remember the Fulham teams who sadly had a reputation for being a bit thuggish, I played for Peckham which were by far the best team in the London league in the early 80,s.

At that time remember also Ealing/London Colonials who were pretty good but used to have big issues raising a team during the Munich beer festival:)

Other teams then Hemel Hempstead/Milton Keynes and maybe 1/2 others but that was pretty much it.

BARLA cup was always good for us and we had a couple of decent runs I think I remember beating Haydock at home and also remember playing for the London representative team v a team from Hull who had a player called Gary Divorty who was brilliant LOL:)

Paul

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Remember the Fulham teams who sadly had a reputation for being a bit thuggish, I played for Peckham which were by far the best team in the London league in the early 80,s.

Any info where those Fulham teams came from....where they rebels from a Union club playing under a different banner?

I knew a lad who played Union for Streatham and Croydon back then....they were a big big club and I think quite a few lads also slipped on the Peckham shirt and played League for Bill Goodwin, of course risking their futures in the ra-ra code back then. A couple of them even turned out for the pro Fulham team....Dave Caudry and Frank Feighen (those spellings might be wrong) but not sure how far they went. I think Bill went on to coach a few of the pro start ups which had become  quite fashionable for a year or so....maybe Kent Invicta at Maidstone and then Southend after that? He was a talisman was Bill, a great leader and an inspiration to many. Any idea what happened to him too? I knew him a bit and thought he was a top bloke.

7 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Fulham Amateurs were the fiefdom of the Snares clan. Ron and Mo ran the club and son Kev was a pretty decent hooker.

11 minutes ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

I knew a lad who played Union for Streatham and Croydon back then....they were a big big club and I think quite a few lads also slipped on the Peckham shirt and played League for Bill Goodwin, of course risking their futures in the ra-ra code back then. 

Back in the day Streatham-Croydon had a loose attitude towards their players playing RL. They also hosted Peckham Pumas. Strange to say that nowadays, in the time of free gangways, S-C refuse to allow RL on their ground!

13 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Probably fear.

No. There's one guy at the club who really dislikes RL, and unfortunately he's very influential around the place. Plenty of folk at S-C would be happy to see RL back but they won't act. To be fair to this guy, on most other things he's a thoroughly decent chap.

Edit: He refuses to allow even Masters, despite the fact many of the players are also S-C Vets!!

38 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Fulham Amateurs were the fiefdom of the Snares clan. Ron and Mo ran the club and son Kev was a pretty decent hooker.

That was Fulham Travellers set up by as you say the Snares who used to travel to Fulham's away games hence the name, Fulham Amateurs were a bunch of guys who were rumoured to be in and out of jail, the women with them were scarier than the blokes and opposition wingers often would get tripped by someone on the touch line, they used to turn up in a London bus. Nobody liked to play them and before one London AGM all the other clubs agreed to vote them out. One guy proposed this but when it was asked for a seconder everyone looked at their feet, the motion failed and the proposer got 'mugged' on his way home.

13 hours ago, BJW said:

Was that the Irish social club ? Have vague memories of playing there last match before Xmas one year and were made very welcome, especially when the poteen (check spelling) came round.

If you mean the Longston club, yes, but you highlighted Northwick Park, which is the playing fields behind the hospital (handy enough) and next to the tube station, I cannot remember where we went after matches there.

Just had a look at the League Tables in the 1992 London Cup Final programme (Which Ealing Won BTW against S. London),

The Bowl was played between Bexley & Peckham, with a curtain raiser between Cubitt Town & Churwell

Division 1...... In finishing order

S. London 1

London Colonials

St. Marys (which based at Twickenham)

Fulham Travellers

Ealing

Peckham

Hemel Hempstead

Division 2

Bexleyheath

S. London 2

Essex Scimitars

Met Police

Surrey Heath

Bognor Regis

Cambridge City Tigers

Rotherhithe

21 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Actually it was called the Roundwood Club, on Longstone Road, Harlesden

16 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

That was Fulham Travellers set up by as you say the Snares who used to travel to Fulham's away games hence the name, Fulham Amateurs were a bunch of guys who were rumoured to be in and out of jail, the women with them were scarier than the blokes and opposition wingers often would get tripped by someone on the touch line, they used to turn up in a London bus. Nobody liked to play them and before one London AGM all the other clubs agreed to vote them out. One guy proposed this but when it was asked for a seconder everyone looked at their feet, the motion failed and the proposer got 'mugged' on his way home.

I don't know the Snares name, but I used to drink with some of the Fulham supporters after games at Craven Cottage in one of their local pubs, and they were proper gangsters. I remember one huge guy called Jimmy Gadd producing a gun out of his pocket in the pub for no reason and waving it around and another bloke Phil Lewis spouting some of the most extreme racist and nationalist stuff I have ever heard. These guys were dangerous criminals,one and all,but not sure if they played rugby. If they did, you wouldn't want to have played against them. They were psychopaths.

4 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Paul

According to my programme

London Cup wins were....

Ealing 1970/71/73/74/82

Hillingdon 1972

Peckham 1975/76/77/78/79/80/81/83

London Colonials 84/85/88

S. London 86/87/89/90/91

London ARL Bowl winners were

Peckham Pumas 2 1985

West London Inst. 1986

Hornsey Lambs 1987

Surrey Heath 1988

Peckham 1989/91

Ealing 1990

5 minutes ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

I don't know the Snares name, but I used to drink with some of the Fulham supporters after games at Craven Cottage in one of their local pubs, and they were proper gangsters. I remember one huge guy called Jimmy Gadd producing a gun out of his pocket in the pub for no reason and waving it around and another bloke Phil Lewis spouting some of the most extreme racist and nationalist stuff I have ever heard. These guys were dangerous criminals,one and all,but not sure if they played rugby. If they did, you wouldn't want to have played against them. They were psychopaths.

I have never heard of these guys but the Snares were a lovely Family. 

Archived