Yorkshire v The Rest of Britain?

11 hours ago, silverback said:

Bring it on,who we playing first. and have never heard of a flour cake,

Its a T cake in our local bakery,and if its got currants in its a fruit T CAKE.

its not a bun/bread roll.a balm cake/or even a flatbread or ovan bottom cake.

and if its got a fishcake in its a fishcake buttie,fish chips n peas and a T cake please.

That is exactly the same in Oldham, which is in Lancashire. Yes I know 52% of the borough is in t'other county, but the town itself, AKA God's Acre , is in the county Palatine. Once worked in Huddersfield and was surprised that they knew the difference between a tea cake(plain) and a current Tea cake.  Think it might be a pennine thing rather than strict Lancs/York's thing.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Lancashire is too small to compete. 

in cricket your county is effectively your club..

I still address Leigh, Lancashire in any correspondence, not Gt Manchester whch is the administrative part of the old County, which administrative part of old Yorkshire do you favour North, South, East or West?

I go to watch Lancashire CCC who still reside in Gt Manchester, I have also seen them play as late as 2017 at Aigburth in Liverpool, Merseyside where they have played quite a few fixtures.

Also have a look at the proposed lockdown 3 match series v the West Indies venue Lancashire County Cricket Ground, Emirates Stadium, Old Trafford, Manchester.

It would be pointless. Lancashire is a joke county nowadays. What is it anyway - Bolton and Blackburn or something? The big cities of Liverpool and Manchester don't want anything to do with them. At least Yorkshire is a proper county with some proper big cities.

That's why a Roses match won't work - Lancashire is too small to compete. 

Just to add some reality to the debate.

*"The Government at that time stated that the "new counties" were administrative areas only, and that the boundaries of traditional counties such as Lancashire had not been changed. Unfortunately, the media refer to these administrative areas all too frequently and ignore the fact that places such as Barrow-in-Furness, Liverpool, Manchester, Warrington, etc. are still in Lancashire.

If administrative areas had not been called counties much of this confusion would have been avoided. The Royal Mail has at last dropped the use of administrative county names in postal addresses, and names such as Cumbria and Merseyside do not appear in the current Royal Mail Postal Address Book"

*http://www.forl.co.uk

Poor old Yorkshire, they cannot get over the fact that they lost the war 

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

13 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

You can’t force positivity. It would be a mess. 

You’re missing my point a bit here.

I’m saying if we were in the position to play a meaningful North vs South match in the future due to better talent farming down there then it would be a tremendous advance.

I’m not saying play a North vs South match in 2020!

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

There are no professional RL clubs in Lancashire.

Just saying.

In the historic boundary there are.

There’s more of a point to be made about the general interest level.

I’d be more inclined to replace this year’s  Ashes with England vs Rest of the World games even if it was just northern hemisphere players in exile plus France and Wales.

1 hour ago, Welsh RL & RU watcher said:

Where 3 possibly 4 countries can win? An 8 team WC, 2 groups of 4 going straight into the semi-finals, I'd put up with that. But IMO have a club WC instead. Have an Ashes Series in England every 4 years.  

Sorry, disagree. The minor nations will love the chance to play in the World Cup, even if they know they have no realistic chance of winning.

Saying that, I bet Tonga reckon they have a chance in 2021.

Scrapping it for another club competition would be a backwards step in my opinion.

I’m very disappointed not have an ashes test this year though!

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

That is exactly the same in Oldham, which is in Lancashire. Yes I know 52% of the borough is in t'other county, but the town itself, AKA God's Acre , is in the county Palatine. Once worked in Huddersfield and was surprised that they knew the difference between a tea cake(plain) and a current Tea cake.  Think it might be a pennine thing rather than strict Lancs/York's thing.

I spent a lot of time in my younger days in Sheffield, brought up in Holmfirth,  I was used to teacakes, currant teacake and fishcakes, imagine my horror to find out that in the Sheffield area all 3 of those are totally different to what i was used to getting.

Ordering a "fishcake teacake" anywhere in Huddersfield , they knew what i was asking for and i knew what i was getting, however, it was a totally different thing in Sheffield, they had no idea what i was asking for!

I don't really get this debate that because Greater Manchester now exists that somehow diminishes the tie of being from Lancashire? Pretty much half of the people I'm friends with are from over that way and we've had this discussion many times and it's pretty clear the only ones who are overly happy that it's now GM are...the ones from Manchester, which makes sense. Most from outside don't mind it being GM and understand why it was changed but certainly still class themselves as being from Lancashire. It'll very likely happen in the next 10-20 years that Leeds will completely swallow up everything around it (Bradford, Wakefield etc) as Manchester did and become a version of 'Greater Leeds' - I can't imagine a time where those people will stop identifying with Yorkshire? 

19 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I don't really get this debate that because Greater Manchester now exists that somehow diminishes the tie of being from Lancashire? Pretty much half of the people I'm friends with are from over that way and we've had this discussion many times and it's pretty clear the only ones who are overly happy that it's now GM are...the ones from Manchester, which makes sense. Most from outside don't mind it being GM and understand why it was changed but certainly still class themselves as being from Lancashire. It'll very likely happen in the next 10-20 years that Leeds will completely swallow up everything around it (Bradford, Wakefield etc) as Manchester did and become a version of 'Greater Leeds' - I can't imagine a time where those people will stop identifying with Yorkshire? 

Of course, if people feel strongly enough about it, it can go the other way. Rutland achieved its independence, we in Worcestershire broke free from the hated Herefordian oppressor yoke of the abomination that was Hereford and Worcester, and supplies are still sent to the resistance movement in Huntingdonshire to aid their fight. 

#prayforsaddleworth

11 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Why are the moderators allowing all this Lancastrophobic hate speech. Shocking!

I must confess that I wasn't expressing my true feelings about Lancashire. I was just trying to unite the Lancashire 'clans' and drum up a desire to prove themselves against Yorkshire, in the hope that an Origin series might be viable.

Top professional County games should 'never' be a thing again. Ever. If you want RL to look even more parochial than go ahead and bring it back!

It does not nor never will compare to Origin in Oz.

Im from Warrington, which apparently is as Lancashire town, but my postal address says Cheshire. I have no affinity with Lancashire, or want to support a team called Lancashire.

RL should concentrate on a European Championship with at least Wales and France, and give it flippin time to grow, and a real place in the calendar each year. I don't even mind for the first years for the Welsh (even Ireland, Scotland or whoever else involved) use heritage players, as long as the long term goal is to grow home grown players.

I also don't know why the Exiles concept was abandoned. Union has the Barbarians. Exiles worked well in light of no northern hemisphere competition for England.

15 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

It would be pointless. Lancashire is a joke county nowadays. What is it anyway - Bolton and Blackburn or something? The big cities of Liverpool and Manchester don't want anything to do with them. At least Yorkshire is a proper county with some proper big cities.

Lancashire is the county that everyone wants to leave and pretend they live in Cumbria or Cheshire.

Only one city in Yorkshire doesn't have a Rugby League club.

Only one city in the proper, Millom to Mersey, Lancashire has one.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

53 minutes ago, The British Lion said:

Im from Warrington, which apparently is as Lancashire town, but my postal address says Cheshire. I have no affinity with Lancashire, or want to support a team called Lancashire.

Ach - what have I just said ???

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

16 hours ago, Welsh RL & RU watcher said:

I'm probably not the biggest fan of international sport on here, and I've said in the past that there shouldn't be a RLWC, or an Olympics come to that. Have an Ashes Series and a Kangaroos v Kiwis Series, yes. How about a 3 Match Series of Yorkshire v The Rest of Britain? 

Yorkshire v Rest of Britain/The World is a mentality that is normal in Yorkshire.

1 hour ago, The British Lion said:

Ah, this is why the Hundred is for you! If you're from the NW and have no affinity with Lancashire, the ECB has cracked how to make it relevant to you. Get yourself over to watch the Manchester Originals.

1 minute ago, iffleyox said:

Ah, this is why the Hundred is for you! If you're from the NW and have no affinity with Lancashire, the ECB has cracked how to make it relevant to you. Get yourself over to watch the Manchester Originals.

I was born in Salford, Lancashire. Lancashire CCC still play most of it's games in Greater Manchester or Merseyside

2 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

No, there's a distinction between a tea cake,  what mancs call a barm cake and pie eaters call a flour cake, and a muffin. A muffin is flatter and has a ring around it. The best muffins ever, seem local to oldham only, are declerq muffins.

Just wrong on so many counts. In Machester a barm cake, muffin, teacake and currant teacake are all distinctive and different. When I was a lad you could buy each of them from the same bread shops.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, iffleyox said:

Ah, this is why the Hundred is for you! If you're from the NW and have no affinity with Lancashire, the ECB has cracked how to make it relevant to you. Get yourself over to watch the Manchester Originals

Cricket just doesn't take my interest. Fair play to them though.

Archived