Yorkshire v The Rest of Britain?

17 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’d rather see a county of origin Lancs v Yorks game personally, if it was taken seriously. 

You wouldn't be able to get a professional team of lancashiremen together, it would be a whitewash to yorkshire

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Just wrong on so many counts. In Machester a barm cake, muffin, teacake and currant teacake are all distinctive and different. When I was a lad you could buy each of them from the same bread shops.

At last a sensible answer.

But that was a long way to go for you just to go to bread shop, or did you emigrate o'er t'hill?

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

I was born in Salford, Lancashire. Lancashire CCC still play most of it's games in Greater Manchester or Merseyside

But for several generations after you they wasn't born in Lancashire and don't have an affinity to Lancashire. Liverpool is the same. 

IMO Lancashire was split up as we genuinely could have split off the be a seperate wealthy country. Divide and conquer has certainly worked

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Historic counties, obviously. 

Then what's the point. Lancashire is no longer what it was and people do not have a loyalty to Lancashire.

In Merseyside alone you have Liverpool; wools, and them from over the water. None under the age of 50 will ever refer to themselves as Lancastrians

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Just wrong on so many counts. In Machester a barm cake, muffin, teacake and currant teacake are all distinctive and different. When I was a lad you could buy each of them from the same bread shops.

Quack quack oops, wrong. In Manchester a tea cake is what I would call a current Tea cake.  To them a barm cake is what I would call a tea cake. Worked there in the centre for most of my life. 

3 minutes ago, yipyee said:

But for several generations after you they wasn't born in Lancashire and don't have an affinity to Lancashire. Liverpool is the same. 

IMO Lancashire was split up as we genuinely could have split off the be a seperate wealthy country. Divide and conquer has certainly worked

As the Maternity Unit in Salford closed about 15 years ago, nobody will be born there, unless they have a home birth, then they will have to register in Manchester, as it is their midwifery services.

4 minutes ago, yipyee said:

And I will have less of the "Several Generations" remark thank you, I am not that old

8 minutes ago, yipyee said:

You wouldn't be able to get a professional team of lancashiremen together, it would be a whitewash to yorkshire

But you have to let player's in born and bred from towns that have won the professional version of the Lancashire cup just to keep up the tradition, just the same as those from the County of Yorkshire clubs not North, South, East & West Yorkshire.

8 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Quack quack oops, wrong. In Manchester a tea cake is what I would call a current Tea cake.  To them a barm cake is what I would call a tea cake. Worked there in the centre for most of my life. 

Oh No It Isn't..............

31 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Then what's the point. Lancashire is no longer what it was and people do not have a loyalty to Lancashire.

In Merseyside alone you have Liverpool; wools, and them from over the water. None under the age of 50 will ever refer to themselves as Lancastrians

What if Merseyside had been called West Lancashire and Greater Mcr called East Lancashire instead, with the rest called North Lancashire?  Or what if West and South York’s had been called different things, eg Donside and Greater Leeds? 

There are actually three types of counties.  Just to complicate things.

There are proper, geographical counties. Pretty much unchanged since before the Norman Conquest.  Still exist now, despite parts of Yorkshire being under the jackboot of occupation by the likes of Durham, Cumbria (whatever that is), Lancashire and Greater Manchester.

Then there are these 1974 councils which, despite the signs you keep seeing, put up by pompous, self important councillors in the 1970s, are nothing more than letting you know which council to complain to when your bin's not been emptied.  All a bit random these days.  West Yorkshire, for example, was only around for about ten minutes before the council was abolished and the responsibilities split up between the districts.

And there are Ceremonial Counties which have a Lord Lieutenant who shows the Queen round when she visits.  Not the same boundaries as either of the other two types.

I blame Royal Mail.  Middlesex was absorbed into Greater London in 1952 but I didn't see it disappearing from postal addresses.  No idea why they made all these changes in 1974.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_England

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Yorkshire and Lancashire are historic lands of centuries' standing.

Britain joined the EEC in 1971. Greater Manchester, Tameside etc were  created in  1974.  In the annals of history, both these events can be regarded as 1970's  temporary hiccups. Like blokes wearing stack heels and women having clothes with American-football-like padded shoulders.

Meanwhile, I have availed myself of any excuse to show this again:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Let's face it...

Unless either Wales or France get up to speed to play England competitively each season, then there is literally nothing that's going to plug the gap between club level, and playing Australia or New Zealand.

Besides, Yorkshire isn't even a proper county anymore either. Parts of Yorkshire were annexed into Greater Manchester, Lancashire, and Cumbria. And now you have four separately governed counties based on different geography (one of which used to be called Humberside, now bizarrely called East "Riding" of Yorkshire)

On 03/06/2020 at 22:09, 17 stone giant said:

It would be pointless. Lancashire is a joke county nowadays. What is it anyway - Bolton and Blackburn or something? The big cities of Liverpool and Manchester don't want anything to do with them. At least Yorkshire is a proper county with some proper big cities.

That's why a Roses match won't work - Lancashire is too small to compete. Yorkshire would crush them. Might as well play Yorkshire vs Norfolk, for all the good that Lancashire are.

Queensland vs NSW is a proper rivalry.

If you use the historic county of Lancashire inc Salford Warrington* and St Helens it might work

*now they play north of The Mersey

14 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Yorkshire and Lancashire are historic lands of centuries' standing.

Britain joined the EEC in 1971. Greater Manchester, Tameside etc were  created in  1974.  In the annals of history, both these events can be regarded as 1970's  temporary hiccups. Like blokes wearing stack heels and women having clothes with American-football-like padded shoulders.

Meanwhile, I have availed myself of any excuse to show this again:

I still tell visitors to "warp tha bluddy feeeat" ?

9 hours ago, burningmuscles said:

Let's face it...

Unless either Wales or France get up to speed to play England competitively each season, then there is literally nothing that's going to plug the gap between club level, and playing Australia or New Zealand.

Besides, Yorkshire isn't even a proper county anymore either. Parts of Yorkshire were annexed into Greater Manchester, Lancashire, and Cumbria. And now you have four separately governed counties based on different geography (one of which used to be called Humberside, now bizarrely called East "Riding" of Yorkshire)

What constitutes a ‘proper’ county?

Known as East Riding from at least 1577 as it is clearly identified on one of Christopher Saxtons atlas drawings.  

Not sure in between these times but East Riding County Council was borne 1889.   The district of ER became Humberside between 1974 - 1996 thereafter reverting back to East Yorkshire as a District.  

18 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

At last a sensible answer.

But that was a long way to go for you just to go to bread shop, or did you emigrate o'er t'hill?

I am here in a missionary capacity.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

18 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Really? I bet that they called things with chocolate chips in a muffin too.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived