Which NRL team are you following most?

Which NRL team are you following most?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which NRL team are you following most?

• Melbourne Storm
    • Canberra Raiders
    • Cronulla Sharks
    • St. George-Illawarra Dragons
    • Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
    • Wests Tigers
    • Parramatta Eels
    • Penrith Panthers
    • South Sydney Rabbitohs
    • Sydney Roosters
    • Manly Sea Eagles
    • Newcastle Knights
    • Brisbane Broncos
    • Gold Coast Titans
    • North Queensland Cowboys
    • New Zealand Warriors

Given that the NRL is the only rugby league competition that we can watch for the next two months, most members of this forum probably have a preferred NRL team

With a significant number of English players now playing in the NRL, there is much to be interested in at specific clubs. 

Canberra has the most English players (George Williams, John Bateman, Elliot Whitehead, Josh Hogdson, Ryan Sutton). However there are other Englishmen at other clubs, most notably James Graham (St George-Illawarra), Tom Burgess (Souths), Herbie Farnworth (Brisbane), and Ryan Hall (Sydney).

Does the presence of a particular Englishman influence your choice of a club to follow? Or do you follow a particular NRL club for other reasons?

56 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Given that the NRL is the only rugby league competition that we can watch for the next two months, most members of this forum probably have a preferred NRL team

With a significant number of English players now playing in the NRL, there is much to be interested in at specific clubs. 

Canberra has the most English players (George Williams, John Bateman, Elliot Whitehead, Josh Hogdson, Ryan Sutton). However there are other Englishmen at other clubs, most notably James Graham (St George-Illawarra), Tom Burgess (Souths), Herbie Farnworth (Brisbane), and Ryan Hall (Sydney).

Does the presence of a particular Englishman influence your choice of a club to follow? Or do you follow a particular NRL club for other reasons?

I enjoy watching most of the games because of the technical quality. 

Ultimately though I don’t follow an individual team over there as I have zero ties with Australia/New Zealand.

In most games I tend to hope to be entertained - if you really pushed me I’d like an underdog to do well.

53 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I've not watched any, but due to family connections, Melbourne Storm are my favourite team.

Why haven’t you watched any games? Many of them have been very entertaining. Don’t you have Sky Sports? 

I will be watching pretty much every game from every round but if I had to choose I would always prioritize the games (and support the teams) with the largest English contingent.

So this year it is Canberra but I will also want Souths, St George, Roosters and Brisbane to win each week.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

33 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

I wonder why so many Englishmen are supporting the Parramatta Eels?

And why is nobody who has voted following the heroic New Zealand Warriors?

After Canberra Raiders, New Zealand Warriors are my second choice. They were good last weekend.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I will be watching pretty much every game from every round but if I had to choose I would always prioritize the games (and support the teams) with the largest English contingent.

So this year it is Canberra but I will also want Souths, St George and Brisbane to win each week.

So why don’t you include Sydney Roosters? Rugby league’s leading maths wiz, former Leeds and England international, Ryan Hall,, gets his start for 2020 in 20 minutes from now. 

1 minute ago, Manfred Mann said:

So why don’t you include Sydney Roosters? Rugby league’s leading maths wiz, former Leeds and England international, Ryan Hall,, gets his start for 2020 in 20 minutes from now. 

Thank you. Yes, an oversight on my part. I will edit.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

Was given a shirt as a gift from a relative after an Aus vacation. They became my Aus team. The shirt still gets the odd run out at Lamport.

13 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Why haven’t you watched any games? Many of them have been very entertaining. Don’t you have Sky Sports? 

I rarely watch RL unless it's England/GB or the Grand Final (or old matches on YouTube). I do plan to watch Origin this year though. My affinity with Melbourne Storm is also pretty weak. I like your positivity though, so I might try and catch the odd game.

I watch as much as I can. I do a tipping competition with my Dad, so every game has something riding on it personally, which makes it better to watch. Also depends on if I’ve had a bet too. That said, I have a team that I follow but still take a look over as much as I can. 

8 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

That's who I've been to most when my Son first emigrated to Australia but he's in Brisbane now so we go there when i go but Eeels will always be the team i want to do well. 

Balmain/West.  I have fond memories watching Balmain on a mates satellite dish but I first followed them in the early 80’s.  Stand outs for me were Benny Elias and the non stop efforts of Wayne Pearce and a great fullback in Garry Jack plus Blocker was always good for a blue.  Obviously Ellery ended up there, Schofield and Lee Crookes but they seemed to go astray when Alan Jones got the coaching job.

When the clubs merged they lost their name and we ended up with West’s Tigers, so I ended up following them really. Still played at the same ground and some great players in Brett Hodgson, Pat Richards.  Matt Sing ended up at Hull at one stage too.  

The enigma that is Benji Marshall was always fascinating to see.  He brought moves, steps and feigned passes at will and I think was the first player to use the eyes in one direction and pass in another move that we see close to the opposition line these days.

I've always wanted the Warriors to do better, just because they're an outpost club. But as long as I've been able to follow the game Down Under, my favourites have been the Raiders.

And hasn't that been frustrating for so many years? No trophies (yet) from the current crop, but the Green Machine are so much closer to the early glory days than they've been in ages.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lived in Manly for 3 years, 2nd best place on earth after East Hull, member at the Sea Eagles during the first Hasler era so nobody else for me.

Nowt better than a beer on the hill in the sunshine at Brookie watching Steve Matai smash someone up - rugby league heaven 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

On 04/06/2020 at 09:27, Manfred Mann said:

5-10 years ago there would have been loads of votes for St George and Brisbane and hardly any for Canberra!

How times change

Archived