Sam Burgess Open Up on RWC Issues - More Context on His Return to RL

• philipw changed the title to Sam Burgess Open Up on RWC Issues - More Context on His Return to RL

1 hour ago, philipw said:

Well, given that ours is known as the RLWC, its pretty much self-evident

Just because they and the media drop the word union doesn't mean it should ever be accepted by League fans.

Was a really good show. A lot was similar to the Out of Your League podcast.

It was interesting from a League perspective to see him talk about wanting to leave Souths and Australia more generally at the end of 2013. Its a shame we couldn't get him in Super League!

Its also interesting to hear about his move to Australia initially and going to Union - that should be a story for Super League clubs when they think about reducing the cap or saying we don't want places like Toronto in the league.

I’m just over half way listening to in during some car journeys. The interviewer seemed very pally with Sam and went to great pains to point out how he defended him and his abilities when chatting with his union ‘Chums’ who criticised Sam. I’m enjoying it so far.

Just been reading through the Twitter comments on this interview.  Burst out laughing when I read this one.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 hours ago, barnyia said:

The one on the left who never smiled once, 

I did only see the 30 seconds not the full interview 

Alex Payne likes him a lot, maybe he just has a that as a resting face but can't say I've ever noticed it

Funniest bit was Haskell saying he'd made 30 tackles in a game!

interesting and enjoyable interview though. And great to see Sam not holding back at all. But there is always two sides to any story. 

I didn't really get how Sam lost so much respect for Mike Ford so quickly. He mentioned he felt Ford was trying to undermine Lancaster via George in the England camp, and had mentioned him a few times in the press, but that alone didn't feel like it warranted a complete loss of respect in him. Maybe there's more that wasn't mentioned.

i noticed in the BBC report on it that both Mike and s George Ford had declined to comment.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

15 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Funniest bit was Haskell saying he'd made 30 tackles in a game!

interesting and enjoyable interview though. And great to see Sam not holding back at all. But there is always two sides to any story. 

I didn't really get how Sam lost so much respect for Mike Ford so quickly. He mentioned he felt Ford was trying to undermine Lancaster via George in the England camp, and had mentioned him a few times in the press, but that alone didn't feel like it warranted a complete loss of respect in him. Maybe there's more that wasn't mentioned.

i noticed in the BBC report on it that both Mike and s George Ford had declined to comment.

I got the sense as well that there was problems at Bath - particularly with not winning the premiership.

There's also the way at Bath under Ford how Burgess had to play 6 when knowing full well that England wanted him to be a 12 - that's certainly a point of contention. There's a thread on the CCF that has a few more links to Ford's attitude to rugby.

I suppose it seems quick but in reality the World Cup camp must have been around 2 months? Plus the 6 Nations and summer/pre-wc games?

21 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

I didn't really get how Sam lost so much respect for Mike Ford so quickly.

I think he’s pointing to the fact that Ford was using him to undermine the head coach so he could climb the ladder.

So yes, I would too have no respect for people like that if true. “Smiling assassins” is my preferred term, rather than ‘snake’.

13 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

So, Burgess is claiming that Mike Ford deliberately tried to undermine from the outside England's chances at the WC 2015, and did so even though his own son was in the squad? All because he wanted the England coaching job - which he never got anyway.

Yep - so not only is MF a snake, he's not even that good at it ? 

I was taken aback by Ford's comments about Burgess when he returned to RUGBY LEAGUE and going by Burggess`s comments now it must have been a bad atmosphere.  

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived