Replacing this year’s series with Australia?

What would you replace this year’s Australia series with?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What would you replace this year’s Australia series with?

• England vs Rest of World invitational (made up of exile SL players/France/Wales/Ire/Sco)
    • England vs Wales
    • England vs France
    • Nothing
    • County representative matchup

1 minute ago, mrfranco said:

Yes, I like the England vs Super League idea (at least given the options this year...)

England get first pick on any English players, but Super League can pick absolutely any SL players who are not in the named England squad

Would give players a bit of an incentive to show England what they’re missing. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Would give players a bit of an incentive to show England what they’re missing. 

Yes exactly, everybody has something to play for. Good chance for French and Welsh players to show what they can do against England too...

2 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I think it would if this was a genuine RotW team. By that I mean one that is made up of many of the best players from the rest of the world. That's what the concept is normally about. I don't think it really works when it's a RotW team made up of players who just happen to play in England.

It’s impossible right now and everyone understands that 

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It’s impossible right now and everyone understands that 

Yes, I know. My point was that since it can't be done in the usual manner, why cheapen the established concept of a RotW team by doing it at a time when you haven't got access to the best players?

I agree with your basic point that England vs RotW resonates more than England vs Exiles - but that's only (in my opinion) when the star players are available for the RotW team.

In football, you wouldn't create a RotW team if you didn't have access to the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, etc.

Right now, Exiles or Other Nationalities would surely be a better team name.

54 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Yes, I know. My point was that since it can't be done in the usual manner, why cheapen the established concept of a RotW team by doing it at a time when you haven't got access to the best players?

I agree with your basic point that England vs RotW resonates more than England vs Exiles - but that's only (in my opinion) when the star players are available for the RotW team.

In football, you wouldn't create a RotW team if you didn't have access to the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, etc.

Right now, Exiles or Other Nationalities would surely be a better team name.

I’m thinking average sports fans on Sky or BBC might question, “who the hell are Exiles?!”

Whereas Rest of the World is self explanatory and in my mind just resonates more in the U.K. 

Rugby League is pretty low profile right now so the missing NRL stars won’t matter at all.

Of course the important thing is England gets a decent test!

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Whereas Rest of the World is self explanatory and in my mind just resonates more in the U.K.

Yes, I agree. You've persuaded me on this.

A couple of things though - are we assuming that this game will be behind closed doors (e.g. no crowd)?

Also, would the RotW team be likely to include Inglis, Sonny Bill Williams, and the other top non-English players?

5 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Yes, I agree. You've persuaded me on this.

A couple of things though - are we assuming that this game will be behind closed doors (e.g. no crowd)?

Also, would the RotW team be likely to include Inglis, Sonny Bill Williams, and the other top non-English players?

Not sure on either point.

Shaun Wane has suggested there’s probably a strong RoW/Exiles team that could be put together in theory from Northern Hemisphere based players 

On 04/06/2020 at 17:44, Eddie said:

England v France, a proper test match. X v Rest of the World games are just gimmicks and not to be taken seriously by players or fans. The strongest French team with all players available would be decent. 

England v France...

Even if no one turned up to watch the point is to give players (and the coach) a run out.  us gave England v Exiles ... for the same reason.

But really we should have Wests  v Easts, to offer competition for places.

9 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m thinking average sports fans on Sky or BBC might question, “who the hell are Exiles?!”

Or more ominously, "what were they exiled for and why on earth would England play them"?

On 04/06/2020 at 16:50, Gerrumonside ref said:

So this year’s series with Australia is off and England could still probably do with a tune up ahead of the World Cup.

How should it be replaced?

See poll

Options 1,2,3 to weak

Option 4, maybe depending on how and when or if the season re-commences

Option 5, same as 4

WHAT ABOUT A 6th option, England Possibles v England Probables, obviously it would be minus all the NRL players but so would all the other options, but it would give most of those in Mr Wane's thoughts a run out.

10 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Wales or France. 

A real test match or series of. 

The last thing England needs is more brand dilution.

A real test in name only, either wouldn't be much better than an opposed training run for England, they would be good mind for Wales or France but that is not the point of the excersize. 

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Options 1,2,3 to weak

Option 4, maybe depending on how and when or if the season re-commences

Option 5, same as 4

WHAT ABOUT A 6th option, England Possibles v England Probables, obviously it would be minus all the NRL players but so would all the other options, but it would give most of those in Mr Wane's thoughts a run out.

I think it would have merit in terms of testing the players, but I’m not sure our broadcast partners would want to be involved in showing it.

None of the options are ideal.

7 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think it would have merit in terms of testing the players, but I’m not sure our broadcast partners would want to be involved in showing it.

None of the options are ideal.

Yes it would be a test of tge player's, and depending how it is sold it could be well recieved, Mate against Mate - where have I heard that before - and the prize of a National jersey should be all the desire and passion the opposing player's require to result in a full intesity contest.

Another plus factor would be for the assistant coaches who would have a direct responsibility in preparing one of the teams.

England v France and Wales, proper tests and time together in camp. Exiles shouldn't be a post-season game, as a lot of Australian/Kiwi players will want to go back home for a break. England v Exiles to start the next super league season with a bang might be a better idea? It's an exhibition game similar to NRL all stars, so why not?

Shaun Wane’s remit isn’t to grow the game of Rugby League, much like it wasn’t Wayne Bennett’s, despite journalists thinking to the contrary. Wane is here, I assume, to win a World Cup and to get England to inside the top two and then number one of the World Rankings. Wane’s thinking will be about who will give them the best test and let’s be honest, that’s not France, Scotland, Ireland or Wales at the minute.

He’s publicly backed the Exiles return, so I don’t see why we wouldn’t go with that. It’s not ideal and it’s not Australia but given the circumstances, it’s the best we can hope for. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

that’s not France, Scotland, Ireland or Wales at the minute.

And they won't be for a long time, they would not even be a contest for the Knights,  why not the suggested possibles v probables? 

They worked a long time ago, and in effect the State of Origin was somewhat of an international trial for the Aus national team, that works.

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And they won't be for a long time, they would not even be a contest for the Knights,  why not the suggested possibles v probables? 

They worked a long time ago, and in effect the State of Origin was somewhat of an international trial for the Aus national team, that works.

It’s an option, definitely, but if I were England coach, I wouldn’t want the possibility of losing against a team of blokes you didn’t pick. The embarrassment of that going into a World Cup would be quite high. Higher than the Italy defeat in 2013.

The problem with the attitude that there isn't anyone good enough is that no England administration is ever going to see anything but Australia or NZ as worthy opponents. 

We have played Scotland once since they made the quarters of the WC and they were confidently leading at half time. Instead of building on a decent team as rivals we never played them since. 

Ireland were desperate for a test match to continue the momentum of the 2017 world cup side, did we give them it? No, we offered "the knights" as a sop and they quite understandably wouldn't risk their world cup qualifying for a B Team.

Test matches in England against France have been jokes all round. Why should the French take them seriously when we don't? Interestingly when we played them on a weekend in Avignon they gave us a good game and had a capacity crowd.

Wales have undoubtedly gone backwards since Crusaders left Super League. It has taken a lot of rebuilding to lay foundations that may be fruitful going forward with indirect junior development.

We have Samoa, PNG, Tonga, Fiji and Lebanon who are all very capable Rugby League sides yet have England even entertained the idea of hosting test matches in England? No of course not, "we want ashes series and games against NZ all the time" obviously.

Someone seriously needs to take the Northern Hemisphere game by the scruff of the neck regarding internationals, and tell the RFL that the globe has more places on it than ?????????&??

16 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s an option, definitely, but if I were England coach, I wouldn’t want the possibility of losing against a team of blokes you didn’t pick. The embarrassment of that going into a World Cup would be quite high. Higher than the Italy defeat in 2013.

Mr Wane and his seconds would still be selecting all the player's involved in the game.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The problem with the attitude that there isn't anyone good enough is that no England administration is ever going to see anything but Australia or NZ as worthy opponents. 

We have played Scotland once since they made the quarters of the WC and they were confidently leading at half time. Instead of building on a decent team as rivals we never played them since. 

Ireland were desperate for a test match to continue the momentum of the 2017 world cup side, did we give them it? No, we offered "the knights" as a sop and they quite understandably wouldn't risk their world cup qualifying for a B Team.

Test matches in England against France have been jokes all round. Why should the French take them seriously when we don't? Interestingly when we played them on a weekend in Avignon they gave us a good game and had a capacity crowd.

Wales have undoubtedly gone backwards since Crusaders left Super League. It has taken a lot of rebuilding to lay foundations that may be fruitful going forward with indirect junior development.

We have Samoa, PNG, Tonga, Fiji and Lebanon who are all very capable Rugby League sides yet have England even entertained the idea of hosting test matches in England? No of course not, "we want ashes series and games against NZ all the time" obviously.

Someone seriously needs to take the Northern Hemisphere game by the scruff of the neck regarding internationals, and tell the RFL that the globe has more places on it than ?????????&??

Do any of the Southern Hemisphere nations aside from Australia and NZ have the finances to come up here aside from when there’s a World Cup? I’d happily watch us play any of those nations though. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Do any of the Southern Hemisphere nations aside from Australia and NZ have the finances to come up here aside from when there’s a World Cup? I’d happily watch us play any of those nations though. 

I don't think its ever been looked at properly. PNG were rumoured to tour France a few years ago, AFAIK the Kiwis get paid to come here? Judging by the way we've barely entertained playing our local opposition I'm more inclined to think that extends to the rest of the world too. If we can guarantee decent crowds, 20 to 25k realistically, a tour would surely make money?

If we think about it we only played NZ, Tonga and PNG on the last Great Britain tour because Australia said no.

Archived