Fri 5 Jun: NRL: Penrith Panthers v New Zealand Warriors KO 9am BST (Sky Sports)

Who will win?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Penrith Panthers
    • New Zealand Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/20 at 08:30

This could be one of the closer games this weekend.

If they both played like they did I round 3 then the Warriors should come out on top - their execution was almost perfect last week while the Panthers struggled to break down a gutsy Newcastle.

But one thing we know about the Warriors is they are hot and cold - after being 100% perfect in completion last week for 70 minutes I wouldn't be surprised to see them fall away badly this week.

I have gone for the Panthers in a close game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Penrith currently 10:0 up.

Cardboard cutouts of The Last Leg presenters spotted in the 'crowd'.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, I have just been watching the pre-match show on WatchNRL.com by mistake wondering why it hasn't kicked off yet!

Missed the whole first half.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The Warriors are playing a familiar sloppy game. Penrith looking very good, leading 26:0.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Slowly changing my mind on this six again rule. 

Big scores are going to be the flip side of 6 again.  

Many wanted rid of the wrestling/looking at the Ref for ‘held’ etc etc for a cleaner game around the ruck.  This is now happening but I don’t think coaches have fully realised the impact it would have on their team.  Some clubs may not have the roster to deal with it either. 

Interesting that in this game the Warriors were awarded six set restarts to the Pathers two yet the Panthers still came away with a 26-0 win.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Interesting that in this game the Warriors were awarded six set restarts to the Pathers two yet the Panthers still came away with a 26-0 win.

Having a faster, more mobile team that can chase back and cover could go a long way towards defending the repeat sets.  I haven’t seen the game yet even though I now know the score, but are the Warriors a bigger side?

The Warriors leave a lot to be desired.

They could/should be a major force in the NRL but always seem to find a way to under perform year on year.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

The Warriors leave a lot to be desired.

They could/should be a major force in the NRL but always seem to find a way to under perform year on year.

Indeed. After a thoroughly professional performance last week, it was almost inevitable they would be underwhelming this week.

11 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Having a faster, more mobile team that can chase back and cover could go a long way towards defending the repeat sets.  I haven’t seen the game yet even though I now know the score, but are the Warriors a bigger side?

I agree that the threat of the repeat set has led to a faster play the ball overall and so the mobile packs are benefiting. 

My point earlier is that the repeat sets being 'won' will not necessarily lead to blow out scores in themselves as the Warriors won three times as many repeat sets yet were still nilled. 

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Agreed; the way the Warriors played today, a nilling would have been likely under the old rules too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I agree that the threat of the repeat set has led to a faster play the ball overall and so the mobile packs are benefiting. 

My point earlier is that the repeat sets being 'won' will not necessarily lead to blow out scores in themselves as the Warriors won three times as many repeat sets yet were still nilled. 

Maybe, maybe not.  I haven’t watched it yet, but there is more to it than just that basic statistic.  

Whether an offending side then defends well enough is another factor as is whether the attacking side takes the right options (i.e quick PTB and direct attack into a glut of Warriors forwards over taking a better option) and managing that time.

We shall see.  It’s fascinating for me watching how this is unfolding.  I have my own views on how to deal with it but no doubt they’ll be shot to bits in the next few weeks.

6 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Maybe, maybe not.  I haven’t watched it yet, but there is more to it than just that basic statistic.

Yes, that's what I said.

Sadly the Warriors while not lacking in effort are deficient talent wise. They remain a banana skin for any side that plays them less than full tilt but they will be nowhere near the Top 8.

I have experience of watching a side just like that over here last year ?

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Well, I have just been watching the pre-match show on WatchNRL.com by mistake wondering why it hasn't kicked off yet!

Missed the whole first half.

There is  no reason for you to miss any part of any game if you have WatchNRL.com. All you need to do if you are late for the kickoff is to go to the match box, and where it asks  “go from start” or “go live” you click on the former. You will then see the whole match, even if it is not in real time. Simple really.

The Warriors lack sufficient strike power. The team is currently missing with injury  three potent outside backs in the form of classy wingers Ken  Maumalo and David  Fusitua, and the very good centre Peta  Hiku. The only capable strike weapons playing yesterday were ace full back Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and five eighth Kodi Nikorima, and the latter had a very quiet game. The demonstrably incompetent coach Stephen Kearney made a huge mistake in releasing star half Shaun Johnson 18 months ago. For although Johnson’s form was and remains inconsistent, on his day Johnson can tear opposing defenses to shreds.

16 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

There is  no reason for you to miss any part of any game if you have WatchNRL.com. All you need to do if you are late for the kickoff is to go to the match box, and where it asks  “go from start” or “go live” you click on the former. You will then see the whole match, even if it is not in real time. Simple really.

Yes, I know that thanks.

But seeing as though I was planning to watch two games while I was supposed to be working, I thought that may have been taking things a little too far.

18 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

The Warriors lack sufficient strike power. The team is currently missing with injury  three potent outside backs in the form of classy wingers Ken  Maumalo and David  Fusitua, and the very good centre Peta  Hiku. The only capable strike weapons playing yesterday were ace full back Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and five eighth Kodi Nikorima, and the latter had a very quiet game. The demonstrably incompetent coach Stephen Kearney made a huge mistake in releasing star half Shaun Johnson 18 months ago. For although Johnson’s form was and remains inconsistent, on his day Johnson can tear opposing defenses to shreds.

What I saw, the Warriors seemed to be super keen on dropping off tackles at one stage.  I think 2 errors, 1 involving RTS led to tries.  I don’t think Kearney will be coaching that.

The game previous, v St.George they missed tackle after tackle but won well and got plaudits.

I never know what to make of that team.

Archived