Fans to return to NRL next week!

3 hours ago, Copa said:

We don’t have people moving in or out because we closed the borders to all except permanent residents, citizens and exceptional cases.

Those who come back have two weeks of mandatory quarantine under guard in accommodation chosen by the government.

Some of these people then travel to their home state and require two more weeks of quarantine.

I can’t even depart Australia without permission and I’m an Australian citizen.  Permission is not easy to get either.

My friend in Melbourne told me weeks ago that Australia didn't have anything remotely as bad as the number of covid 19 cases recorded here in the UK. 

Stay safe and well?

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

After everything you said, you compare apples and oranges. One is with Australia with opposite seasons. The other is w 2/3 of N America vs UK as 1 in dozens of Euro nations.

How does UK stack up against Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Russia?

As of today

UK                             40,465

Italy                           33,774

Spain                         27,134

Germany                      8,763

Russia                          5,725

1 hour ago, POR said:

As of today

Let's not try and pretend those figures for Russia are accurate

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Let's not try and pretend those figures for Russia are accurate

No, they're not.

But, by the same token, the ONS figures for the UK are higher as well.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I'm not sure what your point is? If anything you're further emphasising mine.........

My point is only that both the UK and Russia deaths are higher than the official figures there.

Apologies if that repeats something you'd already said.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

My point is only that both the UK and Russia deaths are higher than the official figures there.

Apologies if that repeats something you'd already said.

We've already had 2 examples on this thread (a small subsect of society) whereby deaths are reported due to covid, when that was not the underlying cause.

My point is merely it's completely pointless comparing figures between countries, some are completely manipulated, some just don't capture a lot of the deaths due to lack of testing capacity (and won't do it retrospectively), and others use various forms of reporting (eg. only deaths from hospitals, or all deaths where a patient had covid).

Back on point, let's just be thankful we're finally at a stage where fans can watch live sport again, even if it is the other side of the world. As you pointed out though, we might not notice the difference on our tvs ?

11 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

It's public knowledge. I'm surprised you didn't know. Then again your continuing defense of fumbelball is misguided. Remind me again how many times they have been found with their fabrication of junior playing numbers in NSW and QLD?

Is it? What, he held a press release or something? When was that? I missed it. Do you have a link or something? Sounds intriguing.

I’m not certain AFL has been found to be fabricating playing numbers. When did you hear this? I remember going to a GC Suns clinic at Southport in around 2011/12. I remember estimating around 600 kids there. Then again, maybe I am simply fabricating that number as well...?

13 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Australia doesn't have the transition of people through it anything like the UK , that's why comparisons are pointless 

The Uk didn't close their borders, something we and successful Covid beating nations did months ago.

There's the difference. 

7 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Is it? What, he held a press release or something? When was that? I missed it. Do you have a link or something? Sounds intriguing.

I’m not certain AFL has been found to be fabricating playing numbers. When did you hear this? I remember going to a GC Suns clinic at Southport in around 2011/12. I remember estimating around 600 kids there. Then again, maybe I am simply fabricating that number as well...?

Well I'm glad at long last that you are a fumbleball fan

Here is just one of many examples where the fusion of Gaelic football and 19th century Rugby got caught out.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/afl-accused-of-exploiting-figures-20120723-22knq.html

20 hours ago, POR said:

As of today

Russia stick 2 figures before 5725 and you will get the real figure my oldest boy is teaching in Moscow he tells me its terrible and that the lies from the regime are pathetic.

3 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

Well I'm glad at long last that you are a fumbleball fan

Here is just one of many examples where the fusion of Gaelic football and 19th century Rugby got caught out.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/afl-accused-of-exploiting-figures-20120723-22knq.html

You seem to have a weird fixation on “exposing” me as a fan of AFL. No need, I’ve never hidden the fact. I’m a Bomber fan, through and through. I am equally passionate about the Sharks and Rugby League. I like Supercars and Ice Hockey as well. Also, just in case you are seeking a full disclosure... I am open to watching a little bit of Union as well, but not a lot.

Your article... if you actually read it notes the numbers were not “fabricated” at all. Not that I care less anyway. I have no doubt that participation figures are generous. Similar to the GWS and GC Titans crowd figures.

As to crowds, V’Landys has done well once more to get crowds through the gates from next week. It’s been a very dominant start from him in the infancy of his reign. 

41 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

You seem to have a weird fixation on “exposing” me as a fan of AFL. No need, I’ve never hidden the fact. I’m a Bomber fan, through and through. I am equally passionate about the Sharks and Rugby League. I like Supercars and Ice Hockey as well. Also, just in case you are seeking a full disclosure... I am open to watching a little bit of Union as well, but not a lot.

Knew you were a wrong'un Sports Prophet!!!!! Go take a cold shower!

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Your article... if you actually read it notes the numbers were not “fabricated” at all. Not that I care less anyway. I have no doubt that participation figures are generous. Similar to the GWS and GC Titans crowd figures.

As to crowds, V’Landys has done well once more to get crowds through the gates from next week. It’s been a very dominant start from him in the infancy of his reign. 

A bombers fan. Is that the club where 34 players were caught for doping and where somebody tipped them off that the testers were in town and they destroyed all the evidence as to what was injected into the players?

Being a fan of the game that's fusion between Gaelic Football and 19th century Rugby why do you think they brought in the 3 strike rule for players getting caught with drugs in their systems?

7 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

And you know this how?

If you want to talk about this then we can do so on AOB.

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

It was a fairly simple question.

I'll give you a simple answer then: Russia's figures are about as believable as China's and for much the same reason; the UK's official figure as announced daily is not the actual figure used by the ONS and also excludes, because certainty isn't possible, some 13,000+ excess deaths where there's a good chance there was a covid infection.

On 05/06/2020 at 20:30, POR said:

True 102 deaths compared to 40 261

On 06/06/2020 at 15:07, POR said:

As of today

I wonder how the Conservative constituency’s of Leigh and Wakefield feel now after electing this government. 

20 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

A bombers fan. Is that the club where 34 players were caught for doping and where somebody tipped them off that the testers were in town and they destroyed all the evidence as to what was injected into the players?

Being a fan of the game that's fusion between Gaelic Football and 19th century Rugby why do you think they brought in the 3 strike rule for players getting caught with drugs in their systems?

Mate, start another thread and tag me in it  if you like, we can talk all day about it there.

This one is about the return of fans to NRL matches.

I’ll give you some more ammo as well. I’m a Sharks fan!

News that the AFL will have crowds for fixtures in Qld from this weekend. Stadiums can fill up to 25% capacity but will start small with an aim to have 10k at the Gabba in three weekend’s time. I haven’t heard anything about RL but assuming the option is available for NRL too if they want to take it up...

The NRL will allow stadium crowds of 25% by the end of June. It hopes to be able to allow full crowds by the beginning of August.

Australia, with a population of 25 million, has had only 102 deaths. If Australia had the population of the UK, that would translate into around 270 deaths. This is an astonishing difference with the more than 40,000 dead in the U.K.

No wonder Australia is one of the world’s great sporting nations, and the home for the greatest rugby league competition that the world has ever seen.

Archived