Rugby League Retro

• 7 months later...

Just watching the 2007 Magic Bradford vs. Leeds game on Sky. 

So much to enjoy about the game but it did make me smile when Eddie and Steve were talking about the young kids on show (Ryan Hall, Sam Burgess, Lee Smith etc) and then the ball went to Gareth Ellis and Eddie says "plenty of experience there".

Then 13 years later the guy was still playing at the top level. Incredible.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

If you wanted the DNA to build the perfect all round RL player you’d look no further than Ellis. Big enough, fast enough, strong enough and skilful enough to do almost anything required on a pitch. He even played S/O at Wakey a couple of times and wasn’t bad.

However it’s what he’s made from that matter, granite I think.

To think Wakey only signed him to make up the numbers. At the time nobody else was even remotely interested. Had we got the junior we really wanted Ellis would probably never of been heard of again. It really is difficult to spot talent at that age.

On 29/01/2021 at 07:51, Johnoco said:

I remember the final whistle. I was going absolutely crackers and almost exploded. We were sat near the team officials, spare players etc and was shouting at them to go and sort it out, blatant robbery etc etc 🤣🤣🤣

I must have looked a right maniac. But was soon in a Cardiff bar dancing with some Umpah Lumpas so it was all good in the end.  

I bet all your stories end like that. 

Archived