Happy Wiltshire Day

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the thread, Wiltshire Rhino.

I must confess, I had overlooked the fact that it is Wiltshire Day today. 

No cider, I'm afraid, but some Wiltshire brewed real ale.  Today, I have made my - by now - regular, lockdown Friday 'drinks' run to get fresh, full-fat farm milk from a dispensing machine at Nunton (just off the Salisbury -  Bournemouth road) and four pints of beer from the off licence at Downton Brewery.

I shall raise a glass shortly to the great bustard!

Wiltshire is known for chalk hills in the south and rich pasture dairy land in the north, and cheese production was once a well established part of Wiltshire life. Wiltshire is where the phrase "as different as chalk and cheese" ordinates from. 

If you like your cheese and you'd like to try the Wiltshire Loaf...

https://www.brinkworthdairy.co.uk/product/wiltshire-loaf/

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

While I am very happy for you, we should also praise the bigger picture.

Being from Wiltshire is not OK. Nor is Swindon, nor being from Swindon.

I write this as a friend. Unless you are from Wilshire. Or Sweden, #dirtySweden.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

8 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I write this as a friend. Unless you are from Wilshire. Or Sweden, #dirtySweden.

Jealousy is a terrible thing Bob. ?

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Jealousy is a terrible thing Bob. ?

That post smells of Swindon.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It’s also got a lovely cathedral which is especially popular with Russian agents 

Thanks for mentioning that, David.  I didn't as it would seem as though I was bias, which, as I work there two days a week (in 'normal' times!), of course I am!

Credit where it's due; the Russian agents had done their homework, and knew it had the tallest spire in the country!

11 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

That post smells of Swindon.

My favourite Swindon anecdote relates to the time a few years ago when I was approaching my 65th birthday and wondering about the practicalities of getting an old fogey's travel pass, so went on the Wiltshire County Council website.  At the time, bus pass schemes were a local matter, with the format determined by each local authority charged with the responsibility.  The Wiltshire website helpfully noted that "the pass can be used throughout Wiltshire (this includes Swindon)"

Then the government standardised the offer and made sure that there was a scheme in all parts of England (though there may have been already) and hence, although it was still your local authority that issued and funded the pass, it could be used throughout the country.

Some bright spark at County Hall, Trowbridge, opted for minimal change to the Wiltshire website, which, when I revisited it, now read "the pass can be used throughout England (this includes Swindon)".  I was really grateful for this clarification!

5 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

...the pass can be used throughout England (this includes Swindon)".  I was really grateful for this clarification!

We're very exclusive up here in the North of the Shire ?

Just now, Johnoco said:

Are The Wurzels from Wiltshire? 
if so, it’s not all bad.

I am the first to stick up for Wiltshire whenever it would have done anything good.

But, no, not even them.

6 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Happy Wiltshire Day to my fellow "Moonrakers", @Wiltshire Warrior Dragon @Wiltshire Giant and @Shadow, plus anyone else who lives in the Great County of Wiltshire. 

Now to dress like a yokel, eat lardy cake, drink cider, rake the moon out of a pond and say "Oooooaaaaarrrr". ?

So no different to the rest of the year....

3 hours ago, Bob8 said:

What about being from Wiltshire and Sweden?

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

He's only saying that because Denmark was recently voted the happiest place to live.

I thought it was because I was born in Sweden and live in Wiltshire 

I am doubly blessed

not triply blessed as I can’t get a Swedish passport, I checked

43 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I am doubly blessed

You can always move into an Ikea?

Ikea is a Swedish acronym 

roughly translated it means “Viking raids are frowned on so let’s #### with them some other way”

don’t tell anyone I told you or I’ll end up as meatballs 

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

I am doubly blessed

I had forgotten that.

I am sure the Swedishness is washed out by now.

And living in Wiltshire is fine. Just don't drink the water. Nor touch the walls.

16 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Are The Wurzels from Wiltshire? 
if so, it’s not all bad.

'Fraid not.  They are from Somerset.

Wiltshire's claims to pop music fame some decades ago was Dave Dee, Dozey, Deaky, Mick and Titch, who were a Salisbury group.  The Troggs came from not far away - Andover - but that is in Hampshire.

35 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Is Wiltshire part of Wessex . Do people still think of Wessex as a place ?

The Royal Wessex Yeomanry are a Salisbury based Tank Regiment.

There's a Wessex Hotel in Winchester, which was the capital of Wessex but I don't think it's a thing, there's no "Home Rule for Wessex" movement and there's no historic animosity to them baaarstids in Mercia 

Archived