Rugby League museum (Merged Threads)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Understandable. Wigan is the spiritual home of Rugby League, with the most successful team of all time. 

Think you'll find the spiritual home is Oldham. From where the greatest game was run for the first 25 years of its existence.  As this article says, from 1910, without joseph platt the game wouldn't be what it is. Oldham was the place where the game was nurtured , from where the new format was formulated . Joseph Platt a son of Oldham, father of Rugby league.

Screenshot_20200602-124852_Drive.jpg

Please God...anywhere but Oldham. Imagine the game taking off in the US (NRL games being shown across the US at present, I think) and them seeing the spiritual home as a wet and weary fog bound former mill town. I realise that the same accusation will be aimed at Wigan or Huddersfield, which would bring modern cities like Manchester and Leeds into the reckoning. 

24 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Please God...anywhere but Oldham. Imagine the game taking off in the US (NRL games being shown across the US at present, I think) and them seeing the spiritual home as a wet and weary fog bound former mill town. I realise that the same accusation will be aimed at Wigan or Huddersfield, which would bring modern cities like Manchester and Leeds into the reckoning. 

What a dreadful attitude 

Wigan, Huddersfield and Headingley have the best claims if we're going to judge it on history of the sport. Not sure if that's the criteria or not.

Given it's there and available and easy to access (by rail at least) it's still hard to look past the George Hotel.

The spiritual home and the birthplace of the game is the George Hotel, the Hotel was chosen in 1895 because of it's central location to most clubs, and that's still the case, although we would have probably liked the game to have shifted away from or included former textile and mining towns in the North of England in a wider geographical spread, but we haven't.

So the hotel is the birthplace of the game, it's centrally located in the heartlands of the sport, it's next door to a mainline railway station with links to a lot of the clubs, fan base and visitors, it's easily accessible from big cities like Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Bradford, Newcastle, York, Hull, and Sheffield,  for any overseas visitors, there's a direct service from Manchester airport and Glasgow, Edinburgh, London and the Midlands are only one change of station away.

It's located in a large cosmopolitan town, which has reinvented itself from an industrial powerhouse to a place of learning and commerce mainly thanks to the University and it's recent links with the far East, a town that could promote itself and the game well.

Lots of RL fans across the world and even non RL fans are aware of the George hotel and Huddersfield as being the birthplace of the game, and for me, it should be the only place any museum or any RL themed place should be located.

I've not read the article yet so if its Wigan will and where will it be situated? Huddersfield have a ready made facility and dont rule out Saints .when you think of RL these are the type of towns you imagine.  Just wait for the sleeve to put his head above the parapet . 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Leeds would be my choice, big, modern city in a decent location transport links wise and the home of one of the most successful teams. George Hotel would be a fantastic location as well with the history link. 

If it is decided to place it in the George Hotel then I look forward to its grand opening sometime around 2030.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Partially money.  Partially the heritage issue.  For us older fans that is important, though for younger fans, newer fans and fans as yet unborn, it's the future of the game that is the most important, in my view. 

Yes we need to be aware of the history but it's the game that's the thing, laying, watching, arguing, discussing.

Common sense says it won't be Wigan (despite their immense presence and contribution to the longevity of the game) or Oldham.

Anyone who has ever visited the Tolpuddle Martyrs museum will surely testify that hiding away a heritage out of public view is a recipe for forgetfulness. 

Look forwards and upwards, not downwards and backwards. Kill the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch. 

2 hours ago, meast said:

The spiritual home and the birthplace of the game is the George Hotel, the Hotel was chosen in 1895 because of it's central location to most clubs, and that's still the case, although we would have probably liked the game to have shifted away from or included former textile and mining towns in the North of England in a wider geographical spread, but we haven't.

So the hotel is the birthplace of the game, it's centrally located in the heartlands of the sport, it's next door to a mainline railway station with links to a lot of the clubs, fan base and visitors, it's easily accessible from big cities like Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Bradford, Newcastle, York, Hull, and Sheffield,  for any overseas visitors, there's a direct service from Manchester airport and Glasgow, Edinburgh, London and the Midlands are only one change of station away.

It's located in a large cosmopolitan town, which has reinvented itself from an industrial powerhouse to a place of learning and commerce mainly thanks to the University and it's recent links with the far East, a town that could promote itself and the game well.

Lots of RL fans across the world and even non RL fans are aware of the George hotel and Huddersfield as being the birthplace of the game, and for me, it should be the only place any museum or any RL themed place should be located.

Was it a success\popular when it was previously in Huddersfield?

Bloody hell, yeah, at Oulton.

Another rubbish venue.

I have a fair dislike for the Huddersfield, the club and it's shonky claim to be the birthplace of RL, just because that's where a meeting took place.

However, it is THE ideal place for the museum (for the same reason as that's where the 1895 meeting took place), - it's central to the northern spread of the game and it has that indelible (if circumstantial), connection to the great split. 

And it's a nice enough town centre for a few beers.

9 minutes ago, dboy said:

Bloody hell, yeah, at Oulton.

Another rubbish venue.

I have a fair dislike for the Huddersfield, the club and it's shonky claim to be the birthplace of RL, just because that's where a meeting took place.

However, it is THE ideal place for the museum (for the same reason as that's where the 1895 meeting took place), - it's central to the northern spread of the game and it has that indelible (if circumstantial), connection to the great split. 

And it's a nice enough town centre for a few beers.

It will only be a hiatus I know but if the rail improvement plans go ahead then the station will close down for two years (or more). When (if) this might happen is anyone's guess.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

It will only be a hiatus I know but if the rail improvement plans go ahead then the station will close down for two years (or more). When (if) this might happen is anyone's guess.

The station is closing???

Archived