Rugby League museum (Merged Threads)

25 minutes ago, dboy said:

The station is closing???

The line is going to be widened for a few miles so the whole of the current transpennine route will be closed. Trains between Manchester and Leeds will be diverted along the northerly route completely bypassing Huddersfield and Dewsbury.

At least that is the published plan.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Ah! Wimbledon. That's where Richard Lewis works, I believe. Had a great day I hospitality at Henly..in 1992, though. My attitude to Oldham is based purely on three years full time as a student at OCFE. 

Was called Oldham tech when I was a lad. Now, and your not going to believe this, it's the University Campus Oldham , gaining it's degrees from, amongst others, Huddersfield. Yep that's right Huddersfield. Pinching our thunder yet again. ?

39 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Was called Oldham tech when I was a lad. Now, and your not going to believe this, it's the University Campus Oldham , gaining it's degrees from, amongst others, Huddersfield. Yep that's right Huddersfield. Pinching our thunder yet again. ?

Pah. A good part of "Oldham" is actually in Huddersfield (53%).

Saddleworth has always been, and remains, in Yorkshire!

My view is that the museum should be sited where the general sports fan can access it and be educated. Needs to be in a big city. Us hard liners will be prepared, I'm convinced, to travel to the flesh-pots of Manchester or Leeds to see it. 

Last bit of Oldham thread drift. 

Could you have ever imagined that  the maths behind the tunnel diode, Schrodinger, Heisenberg, and the Wave Function being on a college syllabus there? That was tough going, trust me. 

Anyone recall the incident around 1966/7 when the fountain outside the then new tower block was filled with foamer and there were clouds of bubbles all over the place?Extensively featured by the Oldham Chron at the time. 

13 minutes ago, JohnM said:

My view is that the museum should be sited where the general sports fan can access it and be educated. Needs to be in a big city. Us hard liners will be prepared, I'm convinced, to travel to the flesh-pots of Manchester or Leeds to see it. 

Last bit of Oldham thread drift. 

Could you have ever imagined that  the maths behind the tunnel diode, Schrodinger, Heisenberg, and the Wave Function being on a college syllabus there? 

Well professor Brian Cox , although not educated at said establishment, is another son of Oldham, so yes I could. ?

Parochialism usually wins, it will probably end up nowhere, or no one will ever support it where ever it might go.

Perhaps the best place is the wide bit between the carriageways of the M62... the bit where the landowner would not sell.

Yes I know I'm not being fair.  

I'm not really worried about where, rather that it might encourage itself to be worthwhile. It strikes me that its exhibits would change somewhat over time, it should have some vibrancy.

Have it wherever will give it enough funding to do a museum justice. It has to be entertaining enough to give kids a day out. If it’s just a few trophies and shirts in a room, it is likely to fail. 

If it’s not going to be an attraction in its own right, just have it at a stadium. 

13 hours ago, JohnM said:

Understandable. Wigan is the spiritual home of Rugby League, with the most successful team of all time. 

We might get to see the superb Championship Trophy that Maurice Lindsay allegedly allowed Wigan to keep at the advent of SL.

5 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Well professor Brian Cox , although not educated at said establishment, is another son of Oldham, so yes I could. ?

Yes, quite so, but I left and got married the year before he was born, still not competent with the maths involved.  Anyway, site the museum in the right place -in a place already popular - for education of the many as well as the worship by the few, so it's an attraction for the wider public and "Things Can Only Get Better".  

Just now, dboy said:

Yet the actual evidence says otherwise.  Ya know, the facts...

http://whiterose.saddleworth.net/stillpart.htm

Wasn't the last Yorkist king found under a carpark in Leicester ? The Red Rose took over after that.

And the current Saddleworth Chair Terry Flanaghan played for Lancashire before his pro career...…...

Rumour has it the old boundary actually ran through the middle of the Greenfield rugby field but the canal was paid for by Manchester business men as the other side were too tight......

Just now, del capo said:

The Red Rose took over after that.

Yeah the Welsh one!

Of course the obvious answer has always been Huddersfield and apart from giving up the Lancs Cup what does Wigan have to offer exactly.

Then again if Wigan is the only possible place to make this work I think it should be put there.

I'll believe it when I see it!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Right then, time to throw my hat in. Swinton is the oldest continual club in existence, William Webb Ellis was born in Salford (Legend, I know), so given the Millions of people desperate to glimpse some sweaty shorts from 1950's tour, why not somewhere on the Quays.

2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

William Webb Ellis was born in Salford (Legend, I know)

Not the Salford bit, just the rest.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

23 hours ago, meast said:

The spiritual home and the birthplace of the game is the George Hotel, the Hotel was chosen in 1895 because of it's central location to most clubs, and that's still the case,

As I always suspected, the geographical situation of being the most convenient place to 'hold a meeting' earns Huddersfield the right to be called the "Birthplace of Rugby League"

Technically speaking, the decision of that meeting at the George was to form the Northern Rugby Football Union, In 1906, the Northern Union changed its rules, reducing teams from 15 to 13 a side and changed its name to the Rugby Football League, presumably as the games governing body was housed in Oldham and all the decisions appertaing to the game were held the official home of the sport, one could say Rugby League was born in Oldham.

21 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Not really. The George hotel's main business was as a hotel, the 'museum'  was an after thought. A room on the side.

It wasn't very good, it looked as though it had been "done on the cheap"

If I was a league mad Aussie who had travelled to these shores on holiday or any one else from anywhere for that matter and had made a specific trip to go and visit the George, I would have been most underwhelmed it just gave out the wrong vibes. 

17 hours ago, dboy said:

Pah. A good part of "Oldham" is actually in Huddersfield (53%).

Saddleworth has always been, and remains, in Yorkshire!

Possibly but it was never a part of Hudderfield.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

16 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Parochialism usually wins, it will probably end up nowhere, or no one will ever support it where ever it might go.

Perhaps the best place is the wide bit between the carriageways of the M62... the bit where the landowner would not sell.

Yes I know I'm not being fair.  

I'm not really worried about where, rather that it might encourage itself to be worthwhile. It strikes me that its exhibits would change somewhat over time, it should have some vibrancy.

That is as true as the Webb-Ellis legend. See how these things perpetuate and grow?

Haven't SL  the RFL now relocated to Media City in Salford or is it the Manchester City complex? Whatever how about setting it up there ? 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived