Rugby League museum (Merged Threads)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

As I always suspected, the geographical situation of being the most convenient place to 'hold a meeting' earns Huddersfield the right to be called the "Birthplace of Rugby League"

Technically speaking, the decision of that meeting at the George was to form the Northern Rugby Football Union, In 1906, the Northern Union changed its rules, reducing teams from 15 to 13 a side and changed its name to the Rugby Football League, presumably as the games governing body was housed in Oldham and all the decisions appertaing to the game were held the official home of the sport, one could say Rugby League was born in Oldham.

I don't think Huddersfield won the bid,Huddersfield and  the George Hotel was just the most convenient place, sorry

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

As I always suspected, the geographical situation of being the most convenient place to 'hold a meeting' earns Huddersfield the right to be called the "Birthplace of Rugby League"

Technically speaking, the decision of that meeting at the George was to form the Northern Rugby Football Union, In 1906, the Northern Union changed its rules, reducing teams from 15 to 13 a side and changed its name to the Rugby Football League, presumably as the games governing body was housed in Oldham and all the decisions appertaing to the game were held the official home of the sport, one could say Rugby League was born in Oldham.

Exactly, the crux of our argument.  

What I do know is that you can't get decent pies in Huddersfield. That should swing it I reckon.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I'd say put it in Manchester or Leeds

There are plenty of weekend travellers to these cities anyway. Fans of the code from non heartland areas would go there if they happened to be up north I reckon... Know I would

Having said that I went to the old basement place in Uddy..... Had been at Warrington for an away game so I went out of my way so I guess any real fans will go anywhere it is

28 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'd say put it in Manchester or Leeds

There are plenty of weekend travellers to these cities anyway. Fans of the code from non heartland areas would go there if they happened to be up north I reckon... Know I would

Having said that I went to the old basement place in Uddy..... Had been at Warrington for an away game so I went out of my way so I guess any real fans will go anywhere it is

well personally I wouldn't go with that soul purpose, but would prefer a City such as Manchester or Leeds. Then it may be viewed by more "non-real" committed  people.

I guess it depends upon what is trying to be achieved.

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Curry house Ive been to there us nice  from memory

There are more than 50 the majority of which are very good.

But there are no decent pies.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Wigan is on a crossroads of the second most populated part of the country, Liverpool to the West, Manchester and on to Yorkshire in the East. The West Coast Main Line connecting London to Scotland is the North South connection. The M6 runs by the town and it is a thirty minute drive to Manchester Airport and Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

It will go to Huddersfield, the bottleneck of transport and an isolated region because it is "the home of RL".

That is like saying the British Museum should be in Salisbury because that is where stonehenge is.

It will be in Huddersfield. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

12 hours ago, Padge said:

Wigan is on a crossroads of the second most populated part of the country, Liverpool to the West, Manchester and on to Yorkshire in the East. The West Coast Main Line connecting London to Scotland is the North South connection. The M6 runs by the town and it is a thirty minute drive to Manchester Airport and Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

It will go to Huddersfield, the bottleneck of transport and an isolated region because it is "the home of RL".

That is like saying the British Museum should be in Salisbury because that is where stonehenge is.

It will be in Huddersfield. 

I presume that makes Wigan the easiest to get away from - an understandable attraction.

17 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

What I do know is that you can't get decent pies in Huddersfield. That should swing it I reckon.

Get round ta local farm shop Johnny loads of delicious pies ? 

2 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

For the reasons you mention (e.g. only taking half an hour to get round etc.) I would have thought that quite a lot of people who attend will do it as an extra to going to a match in that location. I'd imagine that's also the case with the football museum, with away fans going to Old Trafford/Etihad also making time to visit the museum. So, perhaps somewhere close by to an existing team's stadium would be best.

The soccer museum is next to Victoria Station, to walk into the city centre it is on the direct route. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

No matter where it is I hope they do it well .I'm looking forward to visiting now I've time on my hands not just match away days when it would just be a rush job 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Kirklees council have agreed a deal to purchase the George Hotel according to Love Rugby League

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/kirklees-council-agrees-deal-to-purchase-george-hotel-after-national-rugby-league-museum-bid/?utm_content=buffere99f9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer&fbclid=IwAR1g3Wdv4QI62aVxcRBYERObg0tuKnHfyf1varlWISHv7hyWDaXNyWwuzk4

Even if the National Rugby League Museum bid fails its still got to be good news for the building

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

On 08/06/2020 at 13:02, JohnM said:

Please God...anywhere but Oldham. Imagine the game taking off in the US (NRL games being shown across the US at present, I think) and them seeing the spiritual home as a wet and weary fog bound former mill town. I realise that the same accusation will be aimed at Wigan or Huddersfield, which would bring modern cities like Manchester and Leeds into the reckoning. 

As opposed to a grid locked former pit town you mean?  Robin Park?  It's easier to get to Leeds from Wigan than it is to Robin Park

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

On 08/06/2020 at 18:45, JohnM said:

Vaguely. Some pictures and exhibits on a wall? Somewhere in Yorkshire.?

A bit more than that, but in the wrong place anyway

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

On 08/06/2020 at 21:51, dboy said:

Pah. A good part of "Oldham" is actually in Huddersfield (53%).

Saddleworth has always been, and remains, in Yorkshire!

Their area badge has a white rose on it. Delph CC still play in the Huddersfield League, and there was a proposal not that long ago to hold a referendum about the area rejoining Yorkshire.  As you way up to 1974, the Oldham County Borough boundary was with the old West Riding County Council.

Clement Attlee.

On 09/06/2020 at 15:33, 17 stone giant said:

What happened to Bradford? It says they were chosen four years ago, but that little progress was made.

Yup.  Odsal's vacant.  Build a museum, on Rooley Ave.  Fill in the bowl for car parking, and Bob's your uncle.  At last Odsal will be useful.

Clement Attlee.

On closer examination the plans don't look all that special.

...the museum would be in a single room, in the basement that would also house a spa & plant/machinery. 96 square metres space https://www.kirklees.gov.uk/beta/planning-applications/search-for-planning-applications/filedownload.aspx?application_number=2019/91506&file_reference=749154

On 15/06/2020 at 10:03, Blind side johnny said:

I presume that makes Wigan the easiest to get away from - an understandable attraction.

As far as access goes Wigan is a njghtmare.  Take it from someone who commuted nearly every day from Yorkshire to Lower Ince for over twenty years.

Clement Attlee.

Archived