Rugby League museum (Merged Threads)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

In my opinion, the Museum will do well to keep its head above water.  The previous attempt wasn't exactly a gold mine and i'm not convinced a major refurbishment will make much difference to the numbers. 

I genuinely hope I am wrong and although  I am please it stayed in Yorkshire, Leeds would've been better.

From memory entrance was free and they just asked for a donation. Could be wrong. 

But I agree, footfall is everything and the George is in a backwater. The heart has won, the head has lost. 

Be good to see these beauties in one place wherever it is though. Non finer anywhere!

cups.jpg.e66753996ee09d28ac2d31d0a799fd0d.jpg

7 minutes ago, John Rhino said:

From memory entrance was free and they just asked for a donation. Could be wrong. 

But I agree, footfall is everything and the George is in a backwater. The heart has won, the head has lost. 

Be good to see these beauties in one place wherever it is though. Non finer anywhere!

OMG they could make a real trophy in those days LOL, they do look depressing though a cross between a cup and a tea urn ?

P

On 25/06/2020 at 13:54, del capo said:

Was'nt the Soccer Museum moved from Preston  to Manchester because the footfall was simply not good enough to justify the product and it's cost ?

PNE arguably closer to the start of pro soccer than most sites , but the footfall in Manchester is comparatively massive now.

Truth is  museums like this need alternative attractions. What has Huddersfield got to offer? No parking Town centre site miles from any  rugby.   Even visitors to SL games unlikely to make the detour.

Might be a good drop off for the Huddersfield real ale  trail brigade out of Manchester ( great trip by the way ) but for passing interest - forget it .

Another opportunity missed to bring us in to the 21st century. A plaque on the wall would have been quite enough...….

I dont disagree with you, but if you notice my response was purely about the Americans' possible attitude and the post about that not about where it should be, of which I made no comment.. 

On 27/06/2020 at 18:10, John Rhino said:

i do wish they would use the league championship one again, much better than the current trophy

44 minutes ago, RP London said:

I dont disagree with you, but if you notice my response was purely about the Americans' possible attitude and the post about that not about where it should be, of which I made no comment.. 

I had a quick look at the NFL Hall of Fame visitor numbers and they are, relatively speaking, tiny. 200,000 visitors per year.

To put that into context, the observatory level of the Empire State Building has 4,000,000 visitors a year.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

52 minutes ago, meast said:

On the subject of trophies, Huddersfield have got replica's of all the trophies they've ever won, including those above and the likes of the infirmary cup and the European cup!

I wonder if they'd be prepared to loan them to the museum or for an exhibition?

I suggested this earlier in the thread and how great it would be if other clubs followed suit even if just temporarily.

1 hour ago, meast said:

On the subject of trophies, Huddersfield have got replica's of all the trophies they've ever won, including those above and the likes of the infirmary cup and the European cup!

I wonder if they'd be prepared to loan them to the museum or for an exhibition?

Would be a terrific gesture.

I am hoping that interactive and modern attractions can be included as well as historical interest.  Virtual tours which can be done online, so an actual 'visit' is not required.  Kids being able to engage in a virtual game.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I had a quick look at the NFL Hall of Fame visitor numbers and they are, relatively speaking, tiny. 200,000 visitors per year.

To put that into context, the observatory level of the Empire State Building has 4,000,000 visitors a year.

thats true, but the point was that they wouldnt see us having it in the "birthplace" of the sport as an issue.. As i say i dont disagree with the arguments for not having it in huddersfield but just simply that the americans probably wont see it as a problem when you look at where their hall of fame is.

9 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Would be a terrific gesture.

I am hoping that interactive and modern attractions can be included as well as historical interest.  Virtual tours which can be done online, so an actual 'visit' is not required.  Kids being able to engage in a virtual game.

That was in the vision. I hope they stick to it

23 hours ago, RP London said:

i do wish they would use the league championship one again, much better than the current trophy

Dont Wigan own the championship trophy ? 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

• 2 weeks later...

Just to provide something of an update on this Kirklees council are forecasting that the George might reopen no sooner than 2024.

I wouldn't order your tickets for the museum just yet, if I were you.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Just to provide something of an update on this Kirklees council are forecasting that the George might reopen no sooner than 2024.

Presumably this was known about when the decision was made to award the museum to Huddersfield?

When would the Wigan museum have been ready by?

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I would imagine this years budget will be accounted for.  

Next years budget agreed and available, say, late April 2021.  

Feasibility and surveys - comp Sept 2021.

Out to Tender and award agreed Feb/March  2022.  

Start April 2022 - coinciding will more funding allocation.

Could be some structurals and basement works but the job shouldn’t take more than 1 year (don’t know the scope of work obvs) - April 2023.

If roofwork/founds/underpinning etc that could increase by a few months.  Heritage permissions might also be involved.

Anyway, these will be part of the strategy.

Archived