Rugby League museum (Merged Threads)

It's only 10 to 15 minutes on train so I'm ok with that .Even if it was Wigan or anywhere I would still visit, its getting done that's the main thing 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Geographic location probably why Joseph Platt,  son of Oldham,  Father of Rugby League,  chose it. But we all know where the real home of the 13 man game is. 

The game doesn't have a home, it has a birthplace, which is Huddersfield.

Anyone could claim anywhere as a home.

A home is where the heart is after all.

18 minutes ago, meast said:

The game doesn't have a home, it has a birthplace, which is Huddersfield.

Anyone could claim anywhere as a home.

A home is where the heart is after all.

That's one view. However for the first 27 years it was run and organised from Queen st , Oldham.  A period when it was nurtured and in 1906  the 13 man game was formulated. So if someone wants to claim anywhere else as 'home' then go ahead let's see the pedigree.

7 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

It's only 10 to 15 minutes on train so I'm ok with that .Even if it was Wigan or anywhere I would still visit, its getting done that's the main thing 

Getting it done is the main thing.

I think the fact that Kirklees Council will own the George Hotel and it's part of the £250 millions 10 year regeneration plan for Huddersfield town centre might have swung the decision.

Let's hope it's not down the list of the 10 year plan!

Work on the hotel itself is due to start in the 'coming weeks'.

Also, according to this, It's not going to be stuck in the basement as before -

Chris Rostron, Head of Rugby League Cares, said the charity was planning on using the hotel's basement, ground floor and first floor as the basis of the museum.

It being central to the heartlands right next to the train station may also have played a part in the decision just like the original decision to hold that 1895 meeting there.

As to where the 'spiritual' home of RL is as a Giants fan I've always thought being the 'birthplace' as a double edged sword.

We've had plenty of stick re crowds being ###### in the 'birthplace' of RL.

The decision to vote to break away from the Rugby Football Union was taken at the George Hotel and that's an indisputable fact.   

It could have been anywhere but it wasn't - it was at the George Hotel.

I believe the spiritual home was in all the areas of all those originating clubs with undoubtedly Joseph  Platt driving it all forward.

In a recent survey when the people of Huddersfield were asked by the council which buildings in Huddersfield they would most like to see as part of the rejuvenation plan the George Hotel was at the top of the list so there's plenty of 'people power' behind it.

My only real concern is that when it opens will it be able to provide a decent pint of real ale...

22 hours ago, noobiefana said:

I don't have a vested interest to argue for any particular town but in my opinion Leeds is the sensible place if only because it is by far the biggest city in which the game thrives.

Transport links exist. Hotels, infrastructure etc.

On another point I wouldn't worry about American or other "new fans". Fact is that the heartland of the game is what it was 30 years ago and will be 30 years in the future. By all means try to appeal to others but when I got into the game I knew very well that places like Widnes, Warrington, Batley and Dewsbury were not Las Vegas. Grit and northern townscapes are part of the game's history.

If the Americans are happy to have the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohion a town of about 70k then I think they will be more than happy to have this one in Huddersfield especially as the reasoning is very similar. 

7 minutes ago, RP London said:

If the Americans are happy to have the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohion a town of about 70k then I think they will be more than happy to have this one in Huddersfield especially as the reasoning is very similar. 

Was'nt the Soccer Museum moved from Preston  to Manchester because the footfall was simply not good enough to justify the product and it's cost ?

PNE arguably closer to the start of pro soccer than most sites , but the footfall in Manchester is comparatively massive now.

Truth is  museums like this need alternative attractions. What has Huddersfield got to offer? No parking Town centre site miles from any  rugby.   Even visitors to SL games unlikely to make the detour.

Might be a good drop off for the Huddersfield real ale  trail brigade out of Manchester ( great trip by the way ) but for passing interest - forget it .

Another opportunity missed to bring us in to the 21st century. A plaque on the wall would have been quite enough...….

3 hours ago, TBC said:

Chris Rostron, Head of Rugby League Cares, said the charity was planning on using the hotel's basement, ground floor and first floor as the basis of the museum.  

Good stuff.

It’s vital that it’s worth a day out (school trips etc). I’d be likely to drive up from Kent for a weekend with family to visit (and take in a game somewhere, of course!).

4 hours ago, del capo said:

Was'nt the Soccer Museum moved from Preston  to Manchester because the footfall was simply not good enough to justify the product and it's cost ?

PNE arguably closer to the start of pro soccer than most sites , but the footfall in Manchester is comparatively massive now.

Truth is  museums like this need alternative attractions. What has Huddersfield got to offer? No parking Town centre site miles from any  rugby.   Even visitors to SL games unlikely to make the detour.

Might be a good drop off for the Huddersfield real ale  trail brigade out of Manchester ( great trip by the way ) but for passing interest - forget it .

Another opportunity missed to bring us in to the 21st century. A plaque on the wall would have been quite enough...….

Nonsense. I work in Huddersfield and there is parking and I always walk from the town centre to the ground, it’s not far at all. 

Given only Wigan and Huddersfield bid for it, I’m very happy it was the latter, particularly if the much vaunted town centre development plans materialise, which will make a big difference and an attractive place to visit 

16 hours ago, TBC said:

I think the fact that Kirklees Council will own the George Hotel and it's part of the £250 millions 10 year regeneration plan for Huddersfield town centre might have swung the decision.

It being central to the heartlands right next to the train station may also have played a part in the decision just like the original decision to hold that 1895 meeting there.

As to where the 'spiritual' home of RL is as a Giants fan I've always thought being the 'birthplace' as a double edged sword.

The decision to vote to break away from the Rugby Football Union was taken at the George Hotel and that's an indisputable fact.   

I believe the spiritual home was in all the areas of all those originating clubs with undoubtedly Joseph  Platt driving it all forward.

In a recent survey when the people of Huddersfield were asked by the council which buildings in Huddersfield they would most like to see as part of the rejuvenation plan the George Hotel was at the top of the list so there's plenty of 'people power' behind it.

My only real concern is that when it opens will it be able to provide a decent pint of real ale...

When I've passed on the train I've always thought that station bar looked like it had good ale 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

I was right.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 hours ago, TBC said:

I sometimes think people get confused by Huddersfield, the town being the birthplace and Huddersfield, the club being the mother who gave birth, it was born in Huddersfield due to sheer ease of access, nothing more, however it's something we should and are very proud of as a town, the George itself is a wonderful building and the focal point of a fantastic square!

Oldham, Wigan etc may have historic links and claim to be spiritual homes but Huddersfield is the birthplace.

And let's hope the museum is the catalyst for Kirklees to up their game a bit and make the town centre a centre of culture etc.

7 minutes ago, meast said:

I sometimes think people get confused by Huddersfield, the town being the birthplace and Huddersfield, the club being the mother who gave birth, it was born in Huddersfield due to sheer ease of access, nothing more, however it's something we should and are very proud of as a town, the George itself is a wonderful building and the focal point of a fantastic square!

Oldham, Wigan etc may have historic links and claim to be spiritual homes but Huddersfield is the birthplace.

And let's hope the museum is the catalyst for Kirklees to up their game a bit and make the town centre a centre of culture etc.

Yep, Huddersfield was the place that give birth to the northern union, the maternity ward. . BUT, and it's a big but, Oldham is where it learned to talk, walk and be confident. Where the greatest game realised that it could throw off the shackles, that it could be open, fast and ,as I heard the great Alex Murphy say , the simplest game in the world. 'When you have the ball you attack, when you don't,  you defend".  

31 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Yep, Huddersfield was the place that give birth to the northern union, the maternity ward. . BUT, and it's a big but, Oldham is where it learned to talk, walk and be confident. Where the greatest game realised that it could throw off the shackles, that it could be open, fast and ,as I heard the great Alex Murphy say , the simplest game in the world. 'When you have the ball you attack, when you don't,  you defend".  

But the game wasn't born in Oldham it was born in Huddersfield, it doesn't say on Oldham's badge, " not the birthplace of rugby league but some people believe it's the spiritual home of rugby league" ?

• John Drake changed the title to Rugby League museum (Merged Threads)
On 25/06/2020 at 18:48, fieldofclothofgold said:

When I've passed on the train I've always thought that station bar looked like it had good ale 

The station has a pub either side of it, the Head of Steam and King's Head- both got plenty of good beers (I prefer the King's Head myself).

I was more hoping the George itself would stand up to 'real ale' plate then you would have 3 choices within 50 yards metres of each other.

In my opinion, the Museum will do well to keep its head above water.  The previous attempt wasn't exactly a gold mine and i'm not convinced a major refurbishment will make much difference to the numbers. 

I genuinely hope I am wrong and although  I am please it stayed in Yorkshire, Leeds would've been better.

17 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

In my opinion, the Museum will do well to keep its head above water.  The previous attempt wasn't exactly a gold mine and i'm not convinced a major refurbishment will make much difference to the numbers. 

I genuinely hope I am wrong and although  I am please it stayed in Yorkshire, Leeds would've been better.

What’s actually in the museum collection?

Is it a large collection or could a small part of it go on a roadshow at times to Wigan, Manchester or Leeds?

Maybe those clubs and others could also lend part of their private collection to the museum in return?

Imagine walking into a room full of all the classic trophies and winners medals in rugby league even if it was done just once.

5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What’s actually in the museum collection?

Is it a large collection or could a small part of it go on a roadshow at times to Wigan, Manchester or Leeds?

Maybe those clubs and others could also lend part of their private collection to the museum in return?

Imagine walking into a room full of all the classic trophies and winners medals in rugby league even if it was done just once.

Its been a while since I was there but Mick Stephenson was there and it was interesting but in poor condition.  I would not have recommended it to anyone other than for the pictures.

Hopefully, the artifacts and memorabilia will be upgraded and modern methods can be used to display it and educate.  

8 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Its been a while since I was there but Mick Stephenson was there and it was interesting but in poor condition.  I would not have recommended it to anyone other than for the pictures.

Hopefully, the artifacts and memorabilia will be upgraded and modern methods can be used to display it and educate.  

This might seem like a stupid question, but do the individual clubs have their own private collections?

I just wonder whether to give the Huddersfield museum a boost it might be an idea to pool all the rugby league silverware from as many clubs as possible for a single weekend/day.

Maybe coincide it with a media event like a Challenge Cup draw or match and then showcase it to the public briefly.

I think some of our trophies are magnificent and to see others not normally on show would make me visit Huddersfield.

9 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

This is a completely different thing; it's not the heritage centre being reopened, it's the RFL-backed national museum spread over a much larger area of the building.

Archived