Derek Beaumont accuses delay tactics being set to prevent Championship return

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Does that not ruin any integrity of a league structure though if we’re saying that 4-5 clubs can play each other and everyone else in the same league can’t? 

What if it was the individuals club choice to play or not, join in or stay out, it would be the same as any league with lop sided fixtures who don't play every other team an equal number of times, something akin to SL's loopy fixtures. In that league it is accepted there will be a champion and there will be a relegated team,  but realistically is that fair especially to the relegated team if they had what could be deemed as 'harder' fixtures than thise who finish one place above?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Ok I apologise for the banter. This is something that really annoys me in this sport as you have said. Not one person in 3 months has come up with anything. Not even tried anything. Just left furloughing players/staff to save, yes saving. No innovation whatsoever. I'm embarrassed as again the sport has shown just how useless it is at marketing.

Your wrong and this just shows how insular your view is. Clubs are doing all kinds of things, just go on social media and you can see it. My club have had at the most basic level things like raffles, merchandise sales etc. Then they have also had an online live chat each sunday with loads of RL people involved where donations can be made in several different ways, buying virtual pints, then there are things like social media draws etc. The fact you seem to think all these people running clubs, many of which are volunteers who donate their time for free, are just sitting twiddle their thumbs shows just how ignorant a person you are.

26 minutes ago, dkw said:

How will clubs survive playing in front of no crowd, while paying players, coaches, rent, utilities, insurance and countless other bills?

But, if some clubs wish to take that gamble and play for promotion how would that affect those who would rather be patient, protect what they have and sit it out? 

In normal times this would never come into consideration, but these are not normal times and extraordinary measures should be allowed are at least given some consideration, on the opposite side I bet there are a few SL clubs praying that this situation we are in will extend to such a start date that it will be impossible to complete a fixture list and why, self preservation is the answer, not for the good of the game or what is fair or not fair it is simply looking after numero uno and is that any different to those teams in the Championship who have speculated to gain promotion, they all know they have competition for just the one promotion spot available but were ready to take that chance.

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Does that not ruin any integrity of a league structure though if we’re saying that 4-5 clubs can play each other and everyone else in the same league can’t? 

The ones that can/want to play could play

Exceptional times. Make it a one off cup/trophy. Day out for the fans on Boxing day for the final and some silverware for the cabinet 

18 hours ago, Fev1983 said:

How can they make a profit without fans and games?

His claim, not mine. I have no idea what his basis was.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

15 hours ago, SL17 said:

At least he’s making an attempt. Your point?

Mking an attempt at what? Imroving the integrity of the game and the sporting morale of the RL public, or getting Leigh into SL?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Morning Princey, from your previous comments on the subject I recall that you are very much in favour of a stand alone SL, the best time that could be effected is with a new TV contract in 2022, that being so the incumbants in SL at the end of the 2021 season would most likely be the one's granted a position.

Question, do you think that Mr Beaumont know's something those who criticise him don't and plans are in place to effect a closed shop, do you consider that is why he has speculated on buying a squad to challenge this season for the available promotion spot and that is why he keeps striving for P&R to be maintained?

If we do revert back again to licensing or whatever it is called, would he be more annoying or self centered than any SL owner who would vote for a closed shop, especially those clubs who would/could not survive without the appropiate funding heading their way?

Straw men Harry.

14 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The ones that can/want to play could play

Exceptional times. Make it a one off cup/trophy. Day out for the fans on Boxing day for the final and some silverware for the cabinet 

They can have their own little tournament if they so wish but because it’s not the Championship, it shouldn’t be rewarded with promotion. It’s effectively like the Yorkshire Cup the other pre-season. 

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

The question? is can't or wont?

Or simly refusing to drink the Kool Aid.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

So what innovation will help those clubs that dont have a rich investor? 

He doesn't know as is quite clear.

10 minutes ago, SL17 said:

He wants the game to continue. Are you blind man! Or just bloody ignorant.

I am neither. I also don't believe that the virus will "go away" by the end of July. Please define ignorance.

Surely this would only be a headline or story worth reading if it was ......

"Derek Beaumont Praises Work of RFL and Super League!"

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Who Johnny?

You ask so many question Harry, yet get so few answers.

19 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

They can have their own little tournament if they so wish but because it’s not the Championship, it shouldn’t be rewarded with promotion. It’s effectively like the Yorkshire Cup the other pre-season. 

No it isn't, I have already posed the question to you, re lop sided fixtures, answer that please.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

And why is that? 

You tell me.

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You tell me.

One of two, either my questions carry no relevance to the subject matter, or they go against the myopic thoughts of those absent of any peripheral vision to consider there could be alternatives to the way they think.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No it isn't, I have already posed the question to you, re lop sided fixtures, answer that please.

It is. It’s not the Championship, it’s a competition that a few clubs have made themselves, much like the re-incarnation of the Yorkshire Cup a year or two ago. 

The Championship no longer is The Championship when the competition changes and not all of its participants are taking part in the way some are suggesting here. It then becomes its own competition and one that cannot see promotion rewarded to the winner. 

Your question has no relevance to this discussion. It’s about an entirely different competition. 

5 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Back on topic.. What grounds will be used for the resumption of Championship/L1. LSV must be one..

It doesn't really matter where any games are played SL or Championship if played behind closed doors, the main consideration has to be the available facilities of multiple numbers of changing rooms or space to draft in portakabin's.

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It is. It’s not the Championship, it’s a competition that a few clubs have made themselves, much like the re-incarnation of the Yorkshire Cup a year or two ago. 

The Championship no longer is The Championship when the competition changes and not all of its participants are taking part in the way some are suggesting here. It then becomes its own competition and one that cannot see promotion rewarded to the winner. 

Your question has no relevance to this discussion. It’s about an entirely different competition. 

As I said in response to DKW, these are extraordinary times, which would never ever be considered in normal operations so if some clubs wish to take the gamble of losing money through playing in empty stadia and have the prize of promotion available whilst others would not entertain that thought at all, let them get on with it, everyone gets what they desire win, win all round.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As I said in response to DKW, these are extraordinary times, which would never ever be considered in normal operations so if some clubs wish to take the gamble of losing money through playing in empty stadia and have the prize of promotion available whilst others would not entertain that thought at all, let them get on with it, everyone gets what they desire win, win all round.

Can you want to play for promotion but also fear that playing in front of no one would be financially troubling? Because I’m sure there will be some who fall into that category. And what about the team(s) in League One who wanted to play for promotion to the Championship? Can they just decide they’re promoting themselves? 

IMO, once the full quota of Championship teams aren’t playing, the competition is no longer the Championship and promotion and relegation is no longer valid. Of course, the powers that be may say it is. 

10 minutes ago, SL17 said:

You need to get out of this no fans scenario and start looking at alternatives. Clubs will be required to pay 20% of furloughed players and staff from August. 

Small but sweet innovations will pay for that. You can’t just sit there and ignore it.

And what are those “alternatives”?

As it stands the government are unlikely to let the game go ahead without a testing program in place. The fact that a lot of semi pro players also work another job make any sort of testing program for them beyond the realms of most teams finances. If, and thats a big if at the moment, the testing requirements are loosend a little then and only then can they really look at putting something together to get the game moving again outside of SL.

Archived