Derek Beaumont accuses delay tactics being set to prevent Championship return

6 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Does that not ruin any integrity of a league structure though if we’re saying that 4-5 clubs can play each other and everyone else in the same league can’t? 

No. Maybe just ask what sides fancy it

The fans get some rugby, players get a run out and clubs get money 

As I said hold it around October onwards so crowds can come

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

No. Maybe just ask what sides fancy it

The fans get some rugby, players get a run out and clubs get money 

As I said hold it around October onwards so crowds can come

Personally, I think it does. 

To me, it’s not the Championship if not all of the Championship sides from 2020 compete. It’s a different competition entirely and as such, should not be rewarded with promotion. 

21 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Personally, I think it does. 

To me, it’s not the Championship if not all of the Championship sides from 2020 compete. It’s a different competition entirely and as such, should not be rewarded with promotion. 

Neither do I.... I don't think it should have promotion linked with it

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

His claim, not mine. I have no idea what his basis was.

I think he basically ignored the costs of staging games, the cost of paying players when they returned to training, the costs of testing, costs of putting other 'safety' procedures in place.......

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

As it stands the government are unlikely to let the game go ahead without a testing program in place. The fact that a lot of semi pro players also work another job make any sort of testing program for them beyond the realms of most teams finances. If, and thats a big if at the moment, the testing requirements are loosend a little then and only then can they really look at putting something together to get the game moving again outside of SL.

TBH there don't seem to be many noises coming out of SL either with regard to restarting. Michael Carter was quoted recently as saying there had been no costing of a return despite structure options being proposed and Leeds were disappointed to learn that once players returned to training they would have to return to paying them.

12 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I think he basically ignored the costs of staging games, the cost of paying players when they returned to training, the costs of testing, costs of putting other 'safety' procedures in place.......

Well now you are just nitpicking LTS. Where is you vision, innovation, boldness, ambition (insert any other unquantifiable words here)?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

I remembered it when I posted and it took me two weeks to recover at the time.

I'm one of the few who seem to like Derek by the way and the Doc.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Thanks for the link, I thought I’d remembered something along those lines, but thought maybe I was dreaming.

The thing is when you compare what Derek is saying in that quote with what he was quoted as saying this week, it does rather seem like ‘I love RFL when they are doing what suits me, but not when they make decisions that don’t suit me’

And that’s why exactly we need a stronger governing body in the sport - otherwise the tough decisions, ones that are for the overall good of the game rather than a select few clubs - will never get made.

Will crowds be back?

If you don't have a season ticket, do you have the disposable income to go watch a game?

There a lot of people who have lost their job recently or may do once they are back from furlough.

It's going to be tough, especially going into the world cup year too.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

13 hours ago, SL17 said:

The cost of testing will be free by the time the game gets going.

What makes you think that? Ive not seen any indications by any of the companies developing the tests that suggests they will make them and distribute them for free. The only way I could see it happening is if the government would stand the costs, which I feel is unlikely for our sport, or if our governing body would stand the cost. I think the latter has a higher probability but is hampered by the fact its unlikely they can afford to do it for all teams, all players families, and in the case of semi pro the people the players work with. I can see a SL restart before the end of the year but I fear a Championship restart will be the 2021 season.

8 hours ago, SL17 said:

I haven't seen the figures on how many have lost their jobs, only figures on how many are furloughed. I can see redundancies on the horizon but not whilst furlough is in place. So where do get a lot of people have lost their jobs from?

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/03/24/how-covid-19-affecting-british-opinions-jobs-and-w

Id be interested to see what an updated poll would look like with firlough in full flow.

9 hours ago, SL17 said:

I haven't seen the figures on how many have lost their jobs, only figures on how many are furloughed. I can see redundancies on the horizon but not whilst furlough is in place. So where do get a lot of people have lost their jobs from?

The new furough rules kick in in August at which point you can expect employers to start looking at the long-term viability of their employees. There will be a lot of jobs losses.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

What makes you think that? Ive not seen any indications by any of the companies developing the tests that suggests they will make them and distribute them for free. The only way I could see it happening is if the government would stand the costs, which I feel is unlikely for our sport, or if our governing body would stand the cost. I think the latter has a higher probability but is hampered by the fact its unlikely they can afford to do it for all teams, all players families, and in the case of semi pro the people the players work with. I can see a SL restart before the end of the year but I fear a Championship restart will be the 2021 season.

Yes, and remember it isn't just testing but tracing as well. That might be relatively straightforward for FT players but very complicated for those on PT contracts - most Championship players in other words.

What makes you think that? Ive not seen any indications by any of the companies developing the tests that suggests they will make them and distribute them for free. The only way I could see it happening is if the government would stand the costs, which I feel is unlikely for our sport, or 1 if our governing body would stand the cost. I think the latter has a higher probability but is hampered by the fact its 2 unlikely they can afford to do it for all teams, all players families, and in the case of semi pro the people the players work with. I can see a SL restart before the end of the year but I fear a Championship restart will be the 2021 season.

1The Premier League invested £4million to acquire coronavirus testing kits as part of wide-ranging health protocols to ensure its Project Restart plan is implemented safely. So if we want the game to restart  the RFL SHOULD  cover the cost

2 the'ave got 16 million burning a hole in their back pocket surely some of this this should be used to get the game back up and running

5 minutes ago, POR said:

1The Premier League invested £4million to acquire coronavirus testing kits as part of wide-ranging health protocols to ensure its Project Restart plan is implemented safely. So if we want the game to restart  the RFL SHOULD  cover the cost

2 the'ave got 16 million burning a hole in their back pocket surely some of this this should be used to get the game back up and running

The cost of testing Championship players and matchday staff twice a week until the end of the season would be  considerably less than 1 million pound.About 15% to 20% of players would probably have had it with no or very few side affects so they would not need regular testing.I think Super League clubs with no or limited crowds are in the brown sticky stuff.The Championship and League 1 clubs are in a better position.

11 minutes ago, POR said:

The 16 million is an accessible repayable fund. Its designed to be last resort for individual clubs not to get the Championship going for Fev and Leigh. 

The RFL know as we all do that the cost of restarting the Championship without crowds will send some clubs under unnecessarily. There's no point wasting the 16 million on something avoidable because 2 teams out of 12 (so far as we know in Fev and Leigh) want to start asap. 

Stick Leigh and Fev into a 14 team SL for 2021 as they are obviously too ambitious for the Championships, take the money not going to TW, plus the parachute and T2 in Championship money and divide between Leigh and Fev - let battle commence in a 14 club 27 fixture SL with the only repeat fixture being Magic - if kept. Everybody is a winner.

17 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Stick Leigh and Fev into a 14 team SL for 2021 as they are obviously too ambitious for the Championships, take the money not going to TW, plus the parachute and T2 in Championship money and divide between Leigh and Fev - let battle commence in a 14 club 27 fixture SL with the only repeat fixture being Magic - if kept. Everybody is a winner.

Rather London and Toulouse, thanks. 

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Couldn’t agree more. It’s seems every season Wigan play Warrington 5 times - twice in the league, and then invariably get drawn in the challenge cup, loopy fixtures and then the play-offs. Also this year they would have played at magic weekend, so possibly 6!! Surely it would be better with the addition of 2 ambitious clubs from the likes of Leigh, Fev, Widnes, Toulouse, London and York?

Archived