Since pulling statues down seems to be all the rage, I wonder if someone would be good enough to do my home town a favour and pull down the travesty of a statue that's supposed to be Ernie Wise

ernie wise.jfif

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In deepest Suffolk, our statues are far more resonant with popular culture and true heroes of society:

The Giles cartoon family:

Ipswich - Giles' Family

The Major Statue, no purpose but to jokingly keep flies away from the public toilets it's built on. Seriously... Still, better than most statues out there...

Ipswich: Carr's tweet flushes out sculpture views | Ipswich Star

Bobby Robson

Ipswich: Statues of legendary Town bosses Sir Bobby Robson and Sir ...

And for some reason that eludes me to this day, Prince Alexander Obolensky at the butt-end of the Ipswich high street

Dsc00493 - 1066 A Medieval Mosaic

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I believe Palmerston North in New Zealand is the childhood home of Richard O'Brien, creator of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" and to comemorate this they've built a statue of him in the middle of the town square.

I say in the middle in fact it's just a jump to the left.....

Ill Be Here All Week GIFs | Tenor

3573970488.jpg.gallery.thumb.jpg.1e9137c19310a6ed5b73de1bcbd1c108.jpg

'It's a statue that has puzzled many people over the years, but Workington’s so-called “monkey lion” now has an explanation.  An information plaque has had to be placed next to the sculpture, on the corner of Vulcan’s Lane and Oxford Street, to explain what it is.'

'It was erected by Workington Town Council in 2002 to mark the Queen’s Golden Jubilee. The sculpture, by Shawn Williamson, is actually based on a holy relic called the Mandylion of Edessa, which appears to show a miraculous image and likeness of Christ’s face.'

If you have to put a plaque up to explain what it is, I think it's got to go.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

4 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

Mandylion of Edessa

Never before seen in the same room .....

Mandilion_Russie_1677-1.jpg          image.png.72fbbafe7ab2f15498815fd35e36665d.png

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

Never before seen in the same room .....

Mandilion_Russie_1677-1.jpg          image.png.72fbbafe7ab2f15498815fd35e36665d.png

I suppose if you squint, into the sun, at a certain angle, they could look simil ... no, you win, I think the sculpture had a plinth, a spare gorillas head, stuck them together and thought  'Those West Cumbrians won't notice.'

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

5 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

'Those West Cumbrians won't notice.'

Steady, Paul Charlton's one of them Cumbrians and I won't have a bad word said about him.+ Lorry (pronounced Lurry!) loads of others who've played for SRD.

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

Steady, Paul Charlton's one of them Cumbrians and I won't have a bad word said about him.+ Lorry (pronounced Lurry!) loads of others who've played for SRD.

Thank you for correcting me, I should have typed 'Those West Cumbrians won't notice, except for Paul Charlton.'  (My childhood hero.)

Broke my heart when he went down south to that there Salford.

1 hour ago, Niels said:

This is the Kadikoy Bull statue in Istanbul, which of course beats the same name as the city's Rugby League team.

img_2879-1-1.jpg

Animals do make better statues than people and have far more reality and truth behind them.

"A city’s public art and monuments should reflect its values." and I think most commemorative edifices do do just that.

The quote is from an open letter to Oriel College in Oxford.

22 hours ago, silverback said:

And we have lee gilmore at start of bradford road dewsbury, in cast iron holding a rugby ball,looks naff as legs are far too big for lee.:kolobok_scratch_one-s_head:

Lee Gilmore was in the same year as my daughter at Woodkirk High School, which is in Morley.  Presumably he was from Soothill or the area around the Babes in  the Wood (a pub)

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

BB_sm_IMG_0203.jpg

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

If you're going to make a statue, go BIG.

5d8d1fad2e22af0ce33d5382?width=1136&form 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived