Wane to take over at St George?

Watching the Dragons game the other day and hearing the talk of the last few weeks about McGregor being moved on i thought Shaun Wane might throw is hat in so to speak.

All the talk is St. George needing an experienced coach, not a coach whose you and up and coming, though Flanagan does fit that description. Would love to see Shaun Wane get a crack in the NRL.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

McGregor hasn't gone yet. 

His number 2 is Shane Flanagan, a Premiership winning coach, so he's probably in the box seat should Mary go.

Wane won't get the gig.

He can’t be a head coach til 2022

Shane Flanagan has been denied the right to return as an NRL head coach until 2022 by the NRL itself.

Shaun Wane will surely be considered as a replacement for Paul “Mary” McGregor at St. George-Illawarra Dragons in four weeks time, given Wane’s considerable success in the UK, and given the success in Australia of another former successful Wigan coach named Michael “Madge” McGuire.

13 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Shane Flanagan has been denied the right to return as an NRL head coach until 2022 by the NRL itself.

Shaun Wane will surely be considered as a replacement for Paul “Mary” McGregor at St. George-Illawarra Dragons in four weeks time, given Wane’s considerable success in the UK, and given the success in Australia of another former successful Wigan coach named Michael “Madge” McGuire.

I’m not sure any NRL team is going to appoint an English based coach mid-season when there is International flight restrictions in place. 

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m not sure any NRL team is going to appoint an English based coach mid-season when there is (sic) International flight restrictions in place. 

Shaun Wane would have to spend two weeks in quarantine upon arrival in Australia. But after that Wane would be free to work in Australia. He would not need to be flying in or out of Australia again until the NRL season ends in late October. 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

IIf I were him, I'd go all out to get the job and make a permanent move to Aus. 

Anything to get away from the small minded and inward looking parochialism that infects the sport here. 

With his knowledge of British rugby league, Shaun Wane would know the best English and Welsh players to bring to Australia. There is a possibility that if Shaun Wane was to get a coaching position in the NRL, then he could, along with Ricky Stuart's impressive English recruits at the Canberra Raiders, assemble the core of the English national rugby league team playing in the NRL.

6 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

With his knowledge of British rugby league, Shaun Wane would know the best English and Welsh players to bring to Australia. There is a possibility that if Shaun Wane was to get a coaching position in the NRL, then he could, along with Ricky Stuart's impressive English recruits at the Canberra Raiders, assemble the core of the English national rugby league team playing in the NRL.

They could be rebranded the St George Knights and be an English franchise in the NRL.

(Of course this would mean the Newcastle Knights would have to become the Newcastle Newts but that's cool)

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

20 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Doubt it... Wonder if Wane would take an assistant role in the NRL to get his foot in the door though? 

Might depend on the club. Assistant at the Storm or Roosters is probably more enticing than being second banana at the Titans or St George.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Might depend on the club. Assistant at the Storm or Roosters is probably more enticing than being second banana at the Titans or St George.

Wasn't Steve McNamara second banana at the Roosters for a while.

I'll get my coat.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

20 hours ago, JohnM said:

IIf I were him, I'd go all out to get the job and make a permanent move to Aus. 

Anything to get away from the small minded and inward looking parochialism that infects the sport here. 

I can’t see him leaving England until after the World Cup and certainly not before coaching a single England game.

20 hours ago, Dunbar said:

They could be rebranded the St George Knights and be an English franchise in the NRL.

(Of course this would mean the Newcastle Knights would have to become the Newcastle Newts but that's cool)

Do they have a drinking culture problem?

Was listening to Phil Gould on one of the NRL chat shows the other day, who apparently has been consulting for the Dragons recently, and none of his recommendations involved getting rid of McGregor, and he's openly said, in his opinion, switching coaches won't necessarily help the Dragons out of their current slump.

That being said, if the team isn't winning and shows no sign of winning, the coach will go.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

Was listening to Phil Gould on one of the NRL chat shows the other day, who apparently has been consulting for the Dragons recently, and none of his recommendations involved getting rid of McGregor, and he's openly said, in his opinion, switching coaches won't necessarily help the Dragons out of their current slump.

That being said, if the team isn't winning and shows no sign of winning, the coach will go.

That explains their form, Gould as a consultant. The man who in his last coaching position had one of the best, young playing rosters at a club for many a year but couldn't install a discipline ethic into them. Just look at what has happened to many of the Gould era Panthers since, so many have crashed and burned mainly down to poor application and discipline issues that should have been instilled earlier in their careers. Maybe if he had spent more time at the Panthers and less on his own media career things might have worked out differently.

13 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

That explains their form, Gould as a consultant. The man who in his last coaching position had one of the best, young playing rosters at a club for many a year but couldn't install a discipline ethic into them. Just look at what has happened to many of the Gould era Panthers since, so many have crashed and burned mainly down to poor application and discipline issues that should have been instilled earlier in their careers. Maybe if he had spent more time at the Panthers and less on his own media career things might have worked out differently.

This can’t be right . Gus is the fountain of all rugby knowledge who is the greatest rugby guru ever...

Archived