The 2020 NRLW Season will go ahead!

It`s also been announced that the NSW women`s premiership will resume in early July. No encouraging word yet about the Queensland statewide women`s competition. This had only seven rounds scheduled, one of which had been played. Surely the QRL could fit in the completing six rounds in time for NRLW and women`s SOO.

The virus has deferred resolving the dilemma of how to expand the NRLW, whether with more teams or more games with the same teams. The NRL deserves all plaudits for keeping the Roosters and Warriors on board after both seemed likely to withdraw. This year, just treading water represents big success.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

How about the hype surrounding the NRLW.

Major sponsor for 3 years. Telstra.

Live on free to air, Foxtel and Kayo plus Telstra streaming.

St. George signing Papua New Guinea Captain this week.

Signing a heap of stars from Rugby sevens, including a girl ranked the best rugby sevens player in the world today by the Roosters.

Loads of positive media coverage, with shots of fit looking gals, even on the National Broadcaster.

Absolutely can`t wait. Give them three SOO`S last couple of years they have been brilliant.

14 hours ago, The Rocket said:

How about the hype surrounding the NRLW.

Major sponsor for 3 years. Telstra.

Live on free to air, Foxtel and Kayo plus Telstra streaming.

St. George signing Papua New Guinea Captain this week.

Signing a heap of stars from Rugby sevens, including a girl ranked the best rugby sevens player in the world today by the Roosters.

Loads of positive media coverage, with shots of fit looking gals, even on the National Broadcaster.

Absolutely can`t wait. Give them three SOO`S last couple of years they have been brilliant.

I`ve already had a go at this on the cross-code section. But to amplify, I`m not enamoured of the Rugby 7s signings. Don`t object so much to those who played club RL this year to put themselves in the frame, but to offer contracts to some who (as far as I know) have never played RL ahead of players who`ve regularly impressed in League comps this year is unforgiveable.

Charlotte Caslick is the Roosters signing you allude to. Again with the caveat, as far as I know, if she takes the field next week it will be the first formal game of RL in her life. It`s not consistent with the promotion of the NRLW as an elite competition to play someone with zero experience. She will either be a flop, or go back to the ARU with an enhanced reputation. The latter made more likely by the certainty of NRL.com`s journalists puffing up superficial successes, whilst lacking the knowledge to notice more numerous but less obvious shortcomings. Whatever the outcome it will not benefit women`s RL long-term.

Before NRLW, this Sunday it`s the NSW final, North Sydney/Central Coast. Let`s hope the Livestream works. I`ve mentioned elsewhere that female players seem to suffer more injuries, particularly leg injuries, than men. There will be a number of players who will be praying they don`t incur something that rules them out of NRLW. The NSW RL have got their timing wrong with this. The QLD comp finished weeks ago.

Saw a TV item about RL in Albury, where they are strongly growing their women`s section via the medium of League Tag. I know I go on a lot about Tag, but it`s further proof of how useful a development tool it is, given this is traditional Aussie rules territory.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I`ve already had a go at this on the cross-code section. But to amplify, I`m not enamoured of the Rugby 7s signings. Don`t object so much to those who played club RL this year to put themselves in the frame, but to offer contracts to some who (as far as I know) have never played RL ahead of players who`ve regularly impressed in League comps this year is unforgiveable.

Charlotte Caslick is the Roosters signing you allude to. Again with the caveat, as far as I know, if she takes the field next week it will be the first formal game of RL in her life. It`s not consistent with the promotion of the NRLW as an elite competition to play someone with zero experience. She will either be a flop, or go back to the ARU with an enhanced reputation. The latter made more likely by the certainty of NRL.com`s journalists puffing up superficial successes, whilst lacking the knowledge to notice more numerous but less obvious shortcomings. Whatever the outcome it will not benefit women`s RL long-term.

Before NRLW, this Sunday it`s the NSW final, North Sydney/Central Coast. Let`s hope the Livestream works. I`ve mentioned elsewhere that female players seem to suffer more injuries, particularly leg injuries, than men. There will be a number of players who will be praying they don`t incur something that rules them out of NRLW. The NSW RL have got their timing wrong with this. The QLD comp finished weeks ago.

Saw a TV item about RL in Albury, where they are strongly growing their women`s section via the medium of League Tag. I know I go on a lot about Tag, but it`s further proof of how useful a development tool it is, given this is traditional Aussie rules territory.

I hope you noticed the ranking I gave each of the recent developments in the NRLW, with the signing of the rugby sevens players deliberately put after the signing of the young lady from P.N.G.

I noticed that you were quite irate in the post you mentioned from another thread. I can only say that the media exposure on the ABC, the National Broadcaster, has been, to be quite frank, incredible. For a network  which so often appears to be anti League and pro afl, to run several really positive stories over the last two weeks has been a godsend. The articles showed articulate, fit , healthy and might I add attractive young ladies. I am sure that a lot of ABC viewers will have their prejudices challenged. I can`t speak for other channels I rarely watch them.

The NRL have got it right running the Women in League Week celebrations leading into the the start of the NRLW.

I know you don`t like it , but the signing of the union sevens players has just added to the hype. It`s all set for the girls to do their talking on the field now and with the improvement witnessed over the past few years I don`t think they are going to let anyone down. Culminating with SOO which was a hit on and off the field last year. Was it a total viewing audience of 700 000. They will push a million this year.

You never have to apologise to me for relaying stories about the development of League Tag. We are firmly in agreeance on the usefulness of that form of our code. Even to the point where I may concede that you may have successfully fended me off on the topic of including the fend ! But just as I fended off our school representative fullback in the annual yr11 vs. yr12 grudge match all those years ago, he caught up with me 40 metres down field and put me airborne  over the sideline, I might come back at you.

I`ll end with a quick quote from James Gordon Editor of LoveRugbyLeague in his correspondence to me ;

" I would be happy from a LoveRugbyleague point of view to visibly back a `Tag League`, through coverage, maybe even sponsorship, and potentially even entering a team that could travel around the country in the various leagues". This was in response to my emailing him and urging him to read a certain Touch/Tag Rugby League TTRL thread on the Total Rugby League Forum. Without necessarily referring to this forum you should send him an email yourself saying that you saw the mailbox last week and in your own erudite(not too erudite we don`t want to confuse the fellow)manner, well you know the case, you`ve done a thesis on it. Reinforce the argument.

Regards Rocket.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

I hope you noticed the ranking I gave each of the recent developments in the NRLW, with the signing of the rugby sevens players deliberately put after the signing of the young lady from P.N.G.

I noticed that you were quite irate in the post you mentioned from another thread. I can only say that the media exposure on the ABC, the National Broadcaster, has been, to be quite frank, incredible. For a network  which so often appears to be anti League and pro afl, to run several really positive stories over the last two weeks has been a godsend. The articles showed articulate, fit , healthy and might I add attractive young ladies. I am sure that a lot of ABC viewers will have their prejudices challenged. I can`t speak for other channels I rarely watch them.

The NRL have got it right running the Women in League Week celebrations leading into the the start of the NRLW.

I know you don`t like it , but the signing of the union sevens players has just added to the hype. It`s all set for the girls to do their talking on the field now and with the improvement witnessed over the past few years I don`t think they are going to let anyone down. Culminating with SOO which was a hit on and off the field last year. Was it a total viewing audience of 700 000. They will push a million this year.

You never have to apologise to me for relaying stories about the development of League Tag. We are firmly in agreeance on the usefulness of that form of our code. Even to the point where I may concede that you may have successfully fended me off on the topic of including the fend ! But just as I fended off our school representative fullback in the annual yr11 vs. yr12 grudge match all those years ago, he caught up with me 40 metres down field and put me airborne  over the sideline, I might come back at you.

I`ll end with a quick quote from James Gordon Editor of LoveRugbyLeague in his correspondence to me ;

" I would be happy from a LoveRugbyleague point of view to visibly back a `Tag League`, through coverage, maybe even sponsorship, and potentially even entering a team that could travel around the country in the various leagues". This was in response to my emailing him and urging him to read a certain Touch/Tag Rugby League TTRL thread on the Total Rugby League Forum. Without necessarily referring to this forum you should send him an email yourself saying that you saw the mailbox last week and in your own erudite(not too erudite we don`t want to confuse the fellow)manner, well you know the case, you`ve done a thesis on it. Reinforce the argument.

Regards Rocket.

Erudite or not, as a technologically-challenged incompetent I wouldn`t have the first idea how to do what you`re urging. But it`s good to hear you`re getting positive responses.

On the subject of your ranking, number 3 includes "Live on free to air". I`ve seen this on NRL.com and can`t work out whether this year it will be on the main Nine channel. The last two years NRLW has been on the secondary channel. Obviously this doesn`t affect me, but it will make a big difference to how many tune in. When the Storm are on the main channel in Vic, the ratings are much higher than for their games on the secondary channel.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the first two rounds of the 2020 NRLW.

Two good games and an upset in the first when the Roosters got over St George.

The Broncos look good again this year with Amber Hall and Tamika Upton the two stand players... if you get a chance to watch these two play you won't be disappointed. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Just watched the first two rounds of the 2020 NRLW.

Two good games and an upset in the first when the Roosters got over St George.

The Broncos look good again this year with Amber Hall and Tamika Upton the two stand players... if you get a chance to watch these two play you won't be disappointed. 

On the other thread I just picked a player from each of the winning sides.

For the Broncos, I`m always reluctant to go for a multiple try-scorer since that`s the highly sophisticated way RL journalists choose MOM, but you`re right Tamika Upton had an excellent all-round game, continuing her form for Souths Logan in the QLD comp.

Amber Hall offloaded more times in the first couple of minutes on Saturday than she did in 4 games last year. Good to see Kelvin Wright give her the confidence to add that to her armoury. 

For the Roosters, Hannah Southwell had a strong game. She has brilliant tackling technique.

19 hours ago, The Rocket said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/why-you-ll-find-phil-gould-at-every-warriors-nrlw-captain-s-run-20201007-p562zd.html

This one is for you U.P. 

Read the last two paragraphs and tell me that Gould and the NRL haven`t got big plans for N.Z.

The Warriors and Kiwis are mercilessly undermined by the instinct of NRL journalists to act as the Australian division of the NZRU`s propaganda efforts. If the NRL are serious about NZ they must find a way to stop this. They could start in-house at NRL.com. Require their own journalists to properly research RL in NZ before they publish articles peppered with copy-filling pro-RU platitudes.

Couple of years ago in an NRL discussion on altering junior grades to take account of the propensity of Polynesians to grow faster than Europeans, Phil Gould instantly referred to the NZRU`s policies on this. No mention on how NZRL, particularly Auckland RL, had been addressing it. Yet again an Aussie who automatically sees everything in NZ through a Union prism. As though League barely has a presence or record in NZ outside of the Warriors.

Gould should acquaint himself with the Auckland clubs, get a feel for their culture and history. Follow that up with similar visits to Huntly, Tokoroa and other League strongholds. This will give a better idea of how to join the dots rather than treating NZ as a developing nation.

No problem with the Warriors having Nathan Brown as coach from next year, but long-term they need to build a body of coaching talent in NZ that can hack it at NRL level. The NZRU don`t need to import expertise.

The Broncos NRLW coach Kelvin Wright is a kiwi, with I think a background at Mount Albert Lions. Last year he put together from scratch a competitive women`s side at Tweed Seagulls in the SEQ comp, then got the Broncos` job. It would be positive if coaching success in NRLW lead to NRL job offers.

Just finished watching this weekend's extended highlights. The Warriors' cobbled-together side were outclassed by a very good Roosters outfit. The other match was tough and absorbing, but absolute carnage - so many players injured, including International/Origin stars Kezie Apps and Isabelle Kelly.

This is also the first time in many months when you can say "the Brisbane Broncos are a pretty good side". 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A few miscellaneous reflections on NRLW round 2.

As I noted on the other thread, due to genius scheduling, we now have dead rubbers for round 3. On the positive side, more players might be fit for the GF, and some who haven`t yet played will get some game-time.

As mentioned in Futtocks` post it might have been easier to count the players who didn`t sustain leg injuries in Broncos/Dragons. The hair-pull was a major factor in Isabelle`s misfortune. This can be an issue in the female game, though most times they instantly let go. In last year`s Indigenous/Maori game a player`s pony-tail was ruled touch-in-goal by the video ref. Would it not make sense to tuck the hair down the back of the shirt? On the other hand, flying pony-tails do add piquancy to women`s RL.

Maddie Studdon`s injury came from a late tackle on her as a kicker. Further proof that the back-to-one rule encourages dangerous contact. Stop punishing teams who play at the ball and everybody will be safer. No chance of TV commentators or the wider wombat-poop-for-brains Aussie RL media identifying this problem and at least starting a debate about the wisdom of the current charge down rule.

Just as there`s no chance of them ceasing to genuflect before the majesty of Rugby Union. I watch the games in the company of Nine`s commentary team. Their main goal seems to be stuffing as many mentions of Rugby 7s into 60 minutes. I passed my nausea threshold for this a while back. Next week I think I`ll hit the mute button. Already do that for UK RL. Don`t think I can take any more of "Rugby 7s, Rugby 7s, Rugby7s, Rugby 7s..." God help us.

I don't think you can blame them for the scheduling. With only 4 teams, the chances of round 3 being a dead rubber are very high, however the draw comes out.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I don't think you can blame them for the scheduling. With only 4 teams, the chances of round 3 being a dead rubber are very high, however the draw comes out.

In the two previous comps, they scheduled round 2 (and obviously round 3 then schedules itself) after round 1 was completed. With NRLW played concurrently with NRL finals, it neatly fitted the scheduling of the men`s games. The practicalities were even more in favour of such a policy this year with no NRLW stand-alone games and all four teams at the same venue.

All they had to do after round 1 was have Roosters/Broncos and Warriors/Dragons for round 2. It`s so obviously the sensible option that I have to think there`s some factor at play I`m not aware of.

The announcement that Charlotte Caslick will not play again in NRLW this year brings together the two major downsides of this year`s comp.

The first is injuries. It`s a moot point whether the female body is sufficiently robust for RL generally, but more pertinent is whether it`s sufficiently robust for the specific way the NRL thinks the game should be played.

When they reduced elite level match times to 30 mins the talk was of making it more intense and faster. In other words like the men`s game. Media coverage focuses on the novelty of women making big hits. The players themselves stress how brutal it is, seem to think they have to be seen smashing each other to justify the NRL`s investment.

Female players will never be as innately good as the men so why try so slavishly to replicate the same product? Surely better to offer a different style of RL to the audience. More ball movement, more territorial and strategic, less physical, less intense.

The second is the dalliance with RU players. The C.V. of Mahalia Murphy encapsulates the problem. She played RL up to 2015 including a Jillaroos Test, then went to RU, and this year signed for the Dragons in NRLW. When she came off the interchange last Saturday the new Nine idiot commentator called her "Another of the Rugby converts". This in the midst of incessant mentions of Rugby 7s across all four games so far played.

At the 2017 women`s RU WC, I tuned in for the Australia/Ireland game, and noticed Mahalia in the Aussie side. She scored a good individual try. The commentators didn`t make a single reference to her League background. Not one, across the whole game. They neither knew nor cared. No one watching would have been any the wiser. Only in RL are we festooned with media muppets intent on promoting and worshipping a rival sport. It does not happen the other way round.

• 2 weeks later...

A good final, which a bout of night-time indigestion allowed me to watch live, as I couldn't get back to sleep.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived