Blogs, Fanzines, Podcasts etc

Seeing as we have a thread for proper paid journalism, I was interested to see what fan produced people consume from their club, any other club or just general RL stuff.

There’s Red Vee for Saints. Personally, I think it’s okay. Nothing special but the occasional good thing to read. 

One of their contributors does a good blog, http://stephenorfordonsaints.blogspot.com/?m=1 , which is very, very good. 

Any others?

30 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Best of all is the Rugby League Digest and their comprehensive investigation into the SL War. Compelling and binge worthy!

This shouldn't even need stating - it's the best RL thing out there, it really is.

21 hours ago, M j M said:

I'm not a Warrington fan, but What Would Brian Bevan Say is good.

OTOH there's a new-ish Leeds podcast which I couldn't cope with for more than 5 minutes. 

I totally agree mate its just a bit hmmm. Fancy doing a better Leeds podcast together? or finding people that will? 

Only really listen to Australian podcasts, because they’re far better than what we have and the stuff we do have are either depressing (is it the TotalRL one which is like listening to a load of old blokes in a pub and the incoherent Schofield talking over others?) or just a bit rubbish (the Positive RL nonsense from Gledhill and that agent and the Whippets and Flatcaps one with that pompous bloke). 

I see Jackson Hastings has started a podcast, I might give that a listen. 

21 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Only really listen to Australian podcasts, because they’re far better than what we have and the stuff we do have are either depressing (is it the TotalRL one which is like listening to a load of old blokes in a pub and the incoherent Schofield talking over others?) or just a bit rubbish (the Positive RL nonsense from Gledhill and that agent and the Whippets and Flatcaps one with that pompous bloke). 

Of the English podcasts the Final Hooter is really good imho, light hearted banter between them with some good interviews and RL talk. It’s a shame they don’t do them more often.

By the Balls is also often interesting and different (ie interviews with people as the focus of the podcast, not tedious match reviews and predictions), though the sound quality can be bad in some episodes which lets it down somewhat. 

But yes I agree about the majority of the others. 

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I totally agree mate its just a bit hmmm. Fancy doing a better Leeds podcast together? or finding people that will? 

I’ve only listened to one episode but for a Leeds podcast they didn’t talk about Leeds much 

• 4 weeks later...

Just stumbled across this podcast. 'We Do Science'. For anyone interested in Strength and conditioning/fitness and nutrition etc its well worth a listen.

Show hosted by Dr Lauren Bannock, who has a history in working in RL and in union. This episode is with Dr James Morehan who has worked with the RFL, Warrington, St. Helens and Widnes.

Real interesting.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1p2zpIgRYE0GWl4lA1YbTk?si=Mh7GwfXrSnyAwFyECPAu8Q

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

On 10/06/2020 at 12:15, Hela Wigmen said:

Which Aussie podcast do you recommend?

I've just started watching the NRL during lockdown and I'm hooked. I've tried some of the podcasts , but they are very bloated and dry, or are primarily focussed on betting.

32 minutes ago, ojx said:

I've just started watching the NRL during lockdown and I'm hooked. I've tried some of the podcasts , but they are very bloated and dry, or are primarily focussed on betting.

Which one is related to betting? Like a punt on nrl

For Australian stuff the Matty Johns podcast is entertaining enough.

Obviously the RL Digest although it's mostly historicy based now.

The Front Office is OK for a bit of behind the scenes stuff although 'The NRL Economist' is full of **** most of the time.

Chasing Kangaroos for me at the moment, it's purely about international RL. They are running an interview with Ricky Wilby in the next week or two, that should be interesting. One to avoid is Fergo and the Freak, unless you are a 14 year old adolescent going through puberty.

14 hours ago, ojx said:

I listen to Six Tackles with Gus, mainly. I know not everyone likes him but I find him quite interesting, even if I don’t agree with everything he says. 

I listen to a couple of others occasionally but nothing religiously. 

Archived