RFL law changes for Super League restart

RFL Laws Committee recommends ‘six-again’, no scrums for the rest of 2020 and other changes for when Super League restarts (and for all levels of the game). 

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/56839/rfl-laws-committee-recommendations

Not yet finalised but seems unlikely to me in the current climate that these won’t be rubber-stamped by the RFL Board early next month.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scrums are nothing more than grouping some of the player's to-gether at certain points in match time, even in that the modern day stratergy is to make it as defensively orientated by btinging the best defenders out of the scrum, bring back contested scrums and they couldn't do that, weight and strength would be required to push and they wouldn't readily be breaking to add to the defence the forwards would naturally tire quicker, creating more space for the backs to perform, but we don't want attractive open football these day's.

Can you imagine what we are going to see once the coaches have had a full line of defence to work on with no scrums at all for say 12 months?

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Scrums are nothing more than grouping some of the player's to-gether at certain points in match time, even in that the modern day stratergy is to make it as defensively orientated by btinging the best defenders out of the scrum, bring back contested scrums and they couldn't do that, weight and strength would be required to push and they wouldn't readily be breaking to add to the defence the forwards would naturally tire quicker, creating more space for the backs to perform, but we don't want attractive open football these day's.

They wouldn’t be a big loss, agreed.

They are no more than vestigial, a ‘body part’ no longer needed like the coccyx, as rugby league evolved ever more towards a controlled possession game where ball security is king (as opposed to lumping it long for territory and hoping to win it back from a scrum).

I said on a previous thread along these lines that relative to the rest of the game, the scrum actually makes little tangible difference regarding covid, but that it would go because its an easy way to be seen to be doing something

I wouldn't mourn scrums, they're not that important to Rugby League, but the long term ditching of them needs to be driven by actual strategy rather than short term health considerations. 

Still this season gives us scope to experiment with this sort of stuff.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

I infer from that we are ditching scrums not only to appease Public Health England but also to save on testing costs.

Rugby League is a collision sport, scrums or no scrums, testing will be required

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Just now, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Rugby League is a collision sport, scrums or no scrums, testing will be required

Exactly. I'd like to see the evidence that suggests scrums have a more than negligible difference that would make testing less necessary.

Personally I would like to see any rule changes developed by a studied consideration of what is required long-term rather than a knee-jerk reaction, slavishly following the NRL. Changing the rules part way through the season makes this even more of a dog's breakfast than it was likely to become.

Realistically it is completely irrelevant to testing given the nature of the game.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 minutes ago, POR said:

Forget the scrums best rule change by far

Restrictions on the legal point of contact for a third defender in an upright tackle, which must now be above the knee.

I agree.  It would be even better if the rule applied to all tackles.

14 minutes ago, POR said:

Forget the scrums best rule change by far

Restrictions on the legal point of contact for a third defender in an upright tackle, which must now be above the knee.

Agreed . I don’t like the third man in tackle in this situation . JWH is a third man tackle merchant 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

6 players from each side need to do the macarena once through

No. I prefer the Glee option.

They dance Single Ladies.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

47 minutes ago, Damien said:

It is either safe for the game to return or not. I cant see how removing scrums makes much difference.

I would hope any player not feeling 100% well should stay at home and not risk spreading anything to team mates.Out 1213 Premier League players last tested only 1 was positive with the virus.As for scrums let the forwards stand in scrum formation a metre apart.The scrum half  places the ball behind the boot of the second row forward picks it up and play restarts.

13 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I would hope any player not feeling 100% well should stay at home and not risk spreading anything to team mates.Out 1213 Premier League players last tested only 1 was positive with the virus.As for scrums let the forwards stand in scrum formation a metre apart.The scrum half  places the ball behind the boot of the second row forward picks it up and play restarts.

Of course, lets stand a metre apart in the scrum but then tackle a bloke 5 seconds later...

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Of course, lets stand a metre apart in the scrum but then tackle a bloke 5 seconds later...

I would rather have scrums.I  did my apprentiship through the pack second row,blind side ,and then open side when scrums were contested.Blind side face six inches off the ground to help hooker .Open side stood on one leg while following the ball in with the other to help get the ball.However some of the more wiley opposing Scrum Halves would throw the ball in the face of our hooker which usually livened things up a bit.Happy days.

I don't really get the point of the 6 again as to why this helps during the pandemic.

I understand one of the reasons the NRL did it is because they went back to 1 ref, but I don't follow the logic for SL.

Archived