Thompson to go to Canterbury ASAP?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

We’re losing him anyway, we may as well get a fee. We’re going to win nothing this year with Woolfe in charge anyway. 

If it hadn’t been for Covid we’d more than likely have won the LLS, imho. They just needed a few more games to get used to Woolfe. 

This is hardly surprising with the uncertainty around the Super League restart and the team he is heading to already up and playing again.

I must admit, if I were him, this would be an attractive option.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Difficult decision for Saints on this one.

He's OOC on 1st November anyway, so if the SL season resumes end August / early September then Saints would lose him after 2 months of the restart anyway unless they could agree a fee with the Dogs to keep him on for a few extra months to complete the SL season. Given how desperate the doggies are I seriously doubt they would agree to that.

If they release him now then Saints get a transfer fee and a big chunk off the SC to bring someone else in when the season resumes. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

If Saints can get some money for him then they may as well let him go. We don't even have a date for the season starting yet and its still far from clear how many games we will get in. It gets Saints money for someone that will leave for nothing and gets a presumably high earner off the books.

Not sure how I feel about this. I would be disappointed if Thompson is trying to force an early move. 

But from the clubs point of view, we have lost out on a lot due to lockdown. The stadium, which was a huge source of income has been vacant for months and all events / parties / conferences will have been cancelled. Financially, I would understand why we would be tempted.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

If Saints can get some money for him then they may as well let him go. We don't even have a date for the season starting yet and its still far from clear how many games we will get in. It gets Saints money for someone that will leave for nothing and gets a presumably high earner off the books.

I doubt he is among the higher earners at Saints given his last contract will have been signed before he got picked by England and emerged as one of the best front rowers in the world.

14 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

I doubt he is among the higher earners at Saints given his last contract will have been signed before he got picked by England and emerged as one of the best front rowers in the world.

Its fairly standard for contracts to increase with various milestones like international appearances.

6 hours ago, arcticchris said:

We will see how he goes in the NRL.  

14 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Confirmed now. 

Shame to see him go this way but we get a fee that we wouldn’t have got and he gets to play in the NRL quicker. 

Now we must try and find an adequate replacement. 

Who will be on Saints’ shortlist from SL/NRL do you think?

Or is there a youngster coming through?

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Who will be on Saints’ shortlist from SL/NRL do you think?

Or is there a youngster coming through?

We were linked with Mulhern from Hull KR at the start of the year and have been linked with James Graham and James Tamou since. 

7 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

If you had to choose one of them who would you go for?

I don’t see Mulhern as a replacement for him. I’d hope Mulhern would be a replacement for Ashworth and/or Amor. 

Not sure I want either Graham or Tamou tbh. 

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I don’t see Mulhern as a replacement for him. I’d hope Mulhern would be a replacement for Ashworth and/or Amor. 

Not sure I want either Graham or Tamou tbh. 

Anyone think Saints are likely to take any of the transfer fee from the Bulldogs and use it straight away to land the best player they can as a replacement?

Or are there other priorities looking forwards to the future?

Archived