Jump to content

Scrums gone..... For good?


Recommended Posts

Genuine comment here... 

I'd much rather see us introduce line outs and ditch the scrum

They are one of the most interesting bits of union and can often catalyse an open play attack. Especially if you take the option of number in the line out and force 6 men line outs always

It will never happen of course... 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Genuine comment here... 

I'd much rather see us introduce line outs and ditch the scrum

They are one of the most interesting bits of union and can often catalyse an open play attack. Especially if you take the option of number in the line out and force 6 men line outs always

It will never happen of course... 

Obviously it won't happen, but if they introduced lineouts id literally never watch the game again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Purely because of its connection to RU? What if it made the game of RL better?

It pretty much epitomises everything i dislike about the contrived, messy, weird, unnecessarily complex, bore-fest that is rugby union.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

But the attacking side doesn't need to push, because they're guaranteed to win the ball anyway if the defensive side breaks quickly.

Personally, I'd be happy to see the scrum go. Currently, it's a legitimate stick for people to beat the game with, in that it isn't really contested and looks a bit of a farce. If scrums become contested, then you risk ending up at the other end of the spectrum where RU spend 10 mins re-forming scrums.

The bits of RL that I enjoy most are the running, passing and tackling - not the contest to see who wins possession. I find that deathly dull, and is one of the reasons I get bored to tears watching RU.

In terms of the argument about the scrum creating space by getting all the forwards together, what's to stop us implementing a rule whereby we use the lines on the pitch for a re-start and have to put X players between given pitch markings? I.e. like they do in cricket where they are only allowed X fielders outside the ring for certain overs. Personally, I wouldn't be bothered about this, but it would solve the issue of how the scrum creates space on attack.

RU don't spend 10 minutes reforming scrums they are actively looking to speed this up. 

Watching old footage the charging in looks reckless at best.

Going back to league if the attacking team gave a little push the scrum would be on the back foot and couldn't break quickly.

The best scrum I saw in recent times was when saints had a scrum near the cas goal line with 50 seconds left. Roby was at loose to pass the ball for a drop goal. Cas pushed roby knocked on, cas got the ball went 80  meters and gale kicked a drop goal with 8 seconds remaining. 

There are also lots of teams trapping the ball to prevent a quick break as the defenses get penalised. 

A little push or keeping the ball in the scrum does work and gives the backs a chance to attack.

Its lazy that a forward is held out of the scrum to crash ball from the back and the laziness spread from there.

Pretty sure it was from a scrum that crusaders sammut scored that classic try at magic once.. chip over the defensive line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I often find myself in a minority here but I like the uncontested scrum as a way to restart the game and provide a different set-piece opportunity. I'm surprised more teams don't attack more from scrums to be honest when it's effectively 7 aside for 1 play. Heard an idea recently of awarding an extra point for tries scored from a scrum which isn't the craziest idea I've heard.

One thing we should absolutely not go back to is competitive scrums. This just rewards poor skill and errors and is in my opinion one of the reasons for the poor skill in union. They know they can get the ball back if they are good at scrums and line outs. If you make a mistake you should turn the ball over.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I often find myself in a minority here but I like the uncontested scrum as a way to restart the game and provide a different set-piece opportunity. I'm surprised more teams don't attack more from scrums to be honest when it's effectively 7 aside for 1 play. Heard an idea recently of awarding an extra point for tries scored from a scrum which isn't the craziest idea I've heard.

One thing we should absolutely not go back to is competitive scrums. This just rewards poor skill and errors and is in my opinion one of the reasons for the poor skill in union. They know they can get the ball back if they are good at scrums and line outs. If you make a mistake you should turn the ball over.

I too don't mind the uncontested scrum as part of the game. 

And as a sport, if we like it that way we should keep it. But we just need to remember that when we say we don't understand why Rugby League is not as popular as we think it should be, this is one of the reasons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/06/2020 at 14:26, 17 stone giant said:

Purely because of its connection to RU? What if it made the game of RL better?

Seems unlikely.

We ditched them over a hundred years ago because they weren't enhancing the game.

  • Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...