Season Restart

fredm

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 18/06/2020 at 15:32, Blind side johnny said:

Their new ground should be built by now, surely?

... we continue to have dialogue with the stakeholders involved in the construction of the stadium at the Olympic Legacy Park. Covid-19 has put a halt to any work, but discussions are still positive and confident work will start as soon as possible with us relaying the urgency for this to Sheffield City Council and others.

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

... we continue to have dialogue with the stakeholders involved in the construction of the stadium at the Olympic Legacy Park. Covid-19 has put a halt to any work, but discussions are still positive and confident work will start as soon as possible with us relaying the urgency for this to Sheffield City Council and others.

It's almost like Sheffield have the same writers as Wakefield and Castleford. 

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I have heard a rumour that one of the developers involved has now withdrawn, leaving just one to shoulder the costs of the project. As I say, it is only a rumour but the silence is ominous.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

16 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I have heard a rumour that one of the developers involved has now withdrawn, leaving just one to shoulder the costs of the project. As I say, it is only a rumour but the silence is ominous.

Must say I was surprised that work doesn't seem to have started at all as I thought there was an announcement way back in January/early February that it had. 

On 25/06/2020 at 20:31, gittinsfan said:

Could be interesting to know which clubs are in favour.Obviously Leigh and Fev,but who else.

A very cautious approach by Fev now, quite correctly in my view.

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/rovers-officials-attend-rfl-forum-QqbWb

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I see Mark Sawyer is saying that the 5 Yorkshire Championship clubs are all in agreement that the season should re-start.  However only Fev want it to start if no fans are allowed in the grounds, the other 4 saying there should be some fans allowed in so there is some income. He states that the cost of testing is now lower than initially thought.  There is another meeting next Monday but it is not expected that any decisions will be arrived at.

2 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

I can’t see it restarting as they’ll be no promotion nor relegation after yesterday’s statement about 2021 and magic weekend...

void this year and restart 2021 in December  

Totally agree. It's a tough 1 but I would possibly go with friendlies first and 2021 league fixtures to start as they were planned  .

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

23 hours ago, fredm said:

I see Mark Sawyer is saying that the 5 Yorkshire Championship clubs are all in agreement that the season should re-start.  However only Fev want it to start if no fans are allowed in the grounds, the other 4 saying there should be some fans allowed in so there is some income. He states that the cost of testing is now lower than initially thought.  There is another meeting next Monday but it is not expected that any decisions will be arrived at.

Next Monday's meeting is of the RFL Board who can make decisions dependent upon the feedback that they have received from all of the non SL member clubs. I suspect that any positive decision is unlikely without greater guidance from government about when sports events might start in front of crowds.

3 hours ago, colinb said:

Totally agree. It's a tough 1 but I would possibly go with friendlies first and 2021 league fixtures to start as they were planned  .

Players could go back in September/October for pre season training before a set of fixtures in November before 2nd of December the start of the season 

We could finally have a meaningful Boxing Day game for the first time since December 2000 which was at the rams as the following year at batley was called off 20 minutes before kick off 

16 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

Players could go back in September/October for pre season training before a set of fixtures in November before 2nd of December the start of the season 

We could finally have a meaningful Boxing Day game for the first time since December 2000 which was at the rams as the following year at batley was called off 20 minutes before kick off 

Blooming heck!

It's only just July and we're already thinking about Boxing Day.

I see absolutely no point in re-starting the 2020 season now that there wilk be no up and down. Halt the season now and when it becomes allowable begin a new preseason and start 2021 say 10 weeks later and play through, as it's very rare these days to have a winter bad enough to cause severe problems. Challenge Cup and play-offs could then follow in late spring to put the next closed-season back on track for 2022.

Am(rattlin) readay for some games and up and down wont matter to us.would be good to see whats happening if fev carry on win all the games left.to close the door now with some teams not even worthy of the top table is crackers, 0-6 for one.

It will be interesting to see what the decision is on the 23rd July regarding CH and L1. 

Personally, at this late stage, I'd prefer to see some sort of Cup being played out, rather than the league being condensed and wedged in, some half baked way before preparations start for next season.

Maybe something like the how the Northern Rail was organised with localised pools feeding in to a playoff system for the final? That at least would ensure some fixtures and bring some much needed money in to the clubs and allow for some meaningful rugby to be played before the season ends, without the need for PT players turning out multiple times a week to fit the required number of games in. 

From Fev's point of view, I'm not really sure why they are bursting at the seems to get the season restarted. It is surely unlikely any of the DR/Loan players they have heavily relied on in previous seasons will be made available to them, with SL jamming so many games in prior to the end of the season, they will be much more reliant on squad rotation to keep everyone fit. 

Without that influx of quality, Fev are a mid-table side IMO, akin to Halifax and maybe Sheffield, certainly nowhere near the standard of Leigh, Toulouse or London for instance, who will also be gunning for a place in the top tier, in the unlikihood SL agree to P and R. 

I would love to know the real reason they are so gung ho to get the season restarted, has anyone heard if financial troubles are on the horizon again for them?

3 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Without that influx of quality, Fev are a mid-table side IMO, akin to Halifax and maybe Sheffield, certainly nowhere near the standard of Leigh, Toulouse or London for instance, who will also be gunning for a place in the top tier, in the unlikihood SL agree to P and R. 

I would love to know the real reason they are so gung ho to get the season restarted, has anyone heard if financial troubles are on the horizon again for them?

Here's the likely Fev squad without DR players, and also without loanees Worthington and Albert, though I doubt either of those two will ever play for their parent clubs ( Toronto and Leeds) again

1 Hall
2 Blackmore
3 Hardcastle
4 Minns
5 Gale
6 Jouffret
7 Chisholm
8 Susino
9 Parata
10 Harrison
11 Ferres
12 Day
13 Lockwood
subs
Nu Brown, Bussey, Ferguson, Davies
reserves...Carey, Render, Sweeting, Cooper, Beckett, French

If you think that's a "mid-table side, akin to Halifax and maybe Sheffield", try looking through their squads and telling me which of their players you would prefer to that 17.

We'd lack depth if we got a spate of injuries in the forwards but similar comments could apply to most teams. Am not even especially positive about us this season, I have no idea how we compare with Leigh or Toulouse for instance, but we thrashed London away without Chisholm and would at least be contenders if promotion were available.

As for tthe "real reason" Fev are keen to get the season restarted, it's not rocket science, Mark Campbell is desperate to get into SL as he has been for the last 13 years and has spent a lot of money in a season where for once there wasn't a standout candidate to achieve promotion. If financial troubles were the issue, Fev would probably be keen to keep the players on furlough for as long as possible.

On 07/07/2020 at 11:46, phildog said:

I see absolutely no point in re-starting the 2020 season now that there wilk be no up and down. Halt the season now and when it becomes allowable begin a new preseason and start 2021 say 10 weeks later and play through, as it's very rare these days to have a winter bad enough to cause severe problems. Challenge Cup and play-offs could then follow in late spring to put the next closed-season back on track for 2022.

Well, at least you won't be able to get relegated - that would be a bonus, wouldn't it?

Archived