Bad news for Salford?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/sale-sharks-announce-plans-new-18404778

Possibility of the cuckoos moving yet again. But where would that leave Salford (may get moved to cross code) 

54 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

it may work out as a good thing for Salford. Its not like they are going to tear down the stadium if the other tenants leave.

That might be just what would have to happen. The land is probably worth more for redevelopment than it is as a sports stadium. And the fact it’s new probably wouldn’t matter. I’m not sure the stadium is loved by Salford fans and you never know they may be able to negotiate something which means they can get closer to the centre of Salford instead of the edges. 

It seems they’ve struggled financially sharing. Not convinced they could afford to run it themselves. And as for Sale this might be the ultimate negotiating tactic to force a purchase of the stadium from Peel/Salford Council? 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Well if the owners of the stadium are to lose one client they don't want lose another. Salford,  much as I think they are overrated side, are in a good position to dominate negotiations and get more for their buck. Naming rights, receipts from the bar etc. Remember how famous the willows club was and the income it generated? Sale are looking to leave for one reason only, and it's not geography, it's money. 

48 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Could this actually be bad/good news for Swinton Lions instead as they play at Sale RUFC and as part of the article it mentions plans for a sports Village for community union clubs. Or could it see Swinton moving to Salford? 

I don’t think Swinton could afford the rent at the Ding Dong Bell Stadium in all fairness.

Besides I don’t think I would want Swinton playing there anyway.It is a bad luck stadium for us.

Personally I think that stadium is a drain on precious public money and if it was up to me I would tear it down and build a huge Amazon warehouse there or something instead 

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I don't understand why it would be bad news for Salford. As the only team that could play in the stadium, barring possibly some Premiership reserve team, I'd say it puts them in a pretty strong position.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen 1 positive post from the OP so hardly a surprise he took a negative slant on it 

5 hours ago, Damien said:

I don't understand why it would be bad news for Salford. As the only team that could play in the stadium, barring possibly some Premiership reserve team, I'd say it puts them in a pretty strong position.

Not really, losing a major tenant will make the stadium an untenable venture. Salford would not get reduced rent, more likely the opposite. The ownership group would probably see the writing on the wall, cut their losses, and sell to developers.

That article was written word for word from a conversation with the Sale Sharks' PR department.

Sale want to buy the stadium for much less than it cost to build, and have offered low sums before. The council and Peel have always said no. As such they've continued to suggest they're prepared to leave and find somewhere else to play. Every line of that article carries that same threat.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

4 hours ago, nadera78 said:

That article was written word for word from a conversation with the Sale Sharks' PR department.

Sale want to buy the stadium for much less than it cost to build, and have offered low sums before. The council and Peel have always said no. As such they've continued to suggest they're prepared to leave and find somewhere else to play. Every line of that article carries that same threat.

An accurate summary from what I know.

As I understand it it,Sales preferred option is to buy the existing ground and this is their negotiating stance.

The new site is already occupied but the present tenants knew nothing of the proposals.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I don’t know the geography of Salford very well, or their relationship with the ghastly football club, but any chance the two could ground share? 

Why is Salford FC ghastly? The class of '92 have invested in the club creating something that the locals seem happy with and are getting good gates, and showing ambition.  In certain puritanical football followers heads the very definition of being ghastly. Oh brother. I believe you're a ahem sort of Norwich follower  , must be delighted the canaries will soon depart from the ghastly PL.?

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I don’t know the geography of Salford very well, or their relationship with the ghastly football club, but any chance the two could ground share? 

Pretty sure they’ve invested in bringing their own ground up to scratch for each level they’ve progressed to. Not sure if they can build further on what they already have. 

6 hours ago, ojx said:

Not really, losing a major tenant will make the stadium an untenable venture. Salford would not get reduced rent, more likely the opposite. The ownership group would probably see the writing on the wall, cut their losses, and sell to developers.

Sale was not a tenant anyway when the stadium was built, it wasnt even built with them in mind. The council aren't going to spend £30 million on a stadium for the community just to bulldoze it a few years later.

5 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Why is Salford FC ghastly? The class of '92 have invested in the club creating something that the locals seem happy with and are getting good gates, and showing ambition.  In certain puritanical football followers heads the very definition of being ghastly. Oh brother. 

I imagine that changing the club colours, changing the badge and throwing money at it, which tends to lead to claims of “buying titles” might be deemed ghastly. 

11 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I don’t think Swinton could afford the rent at the Ding Dong Bell Stadium in all fairness.

Besides I don’t think I would want Swinton playing there anyway.It is a bad luck stadium for us.

Personally I think that stadium is a drain on precious public money and if it was up to me I would tear it down and build a huge Amazon warehouse there or something instead 

amazon warehouse? have you seen omega north in warrington?

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Why is Salford FC ghastly? The class of '92 have invested in the club creating something that the locals seem happy with and are getting good gates, and showing ambition.  In certain puritanical football followers heads the very definition of being ghastly. Oh brother. I believe you're a ahem sort of Norwich follower  , must be delighted the canaries will soon depart from the ghastly PL.?

It’s more the media circus surrounding them that I find ghastly, they get so much more attention than other clubs at that level, from the BBC in particular, when really nobody outside of Salford could care less about them. 

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Sale was not a tenant anyway when the stadium was built, it wasnt even built with them in mind. The council aren't going to spend £30 million on a stadium for the community just to bulldoze it a few years later.

If the stadium is losing money, which I believe it is then the land would get sold for a figure much lower than Sales offer, as the stadium would need to be demolished. Great strategy from Sale, can Salford counter?

The whole thing will be years away,anyway.

The other code is in real financial trouble,at the moment, and looking at the comments they won't be too welcome back in Sale,at the proposed site.

Plenty time for Salford to sort out their future.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

7 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I imagine that changing the club colours, changing the badge and throwing money at it, which tends to lead to claims of “buying titles” might be deemed ghastly. 

Mmm. Salford City FC - NWCL football and crowds less than a hundred - were a bit of a joke before the Class of 92 came along. Now, they've got a smart stadium (the sort that would suit Salford RL!) and Football League status. The day I went to SFC, I found myself sitting next to a woman who'd watched the club in its NWCL days. She was thrilled by the turn of events!

Archived