Paul Sculthorpe & Lee Briers on Back Chat (Merged Threads)

This is not for those who believe that the evolution of RL has resulted in it being a better product to watch, quite an open and frank discussion from two high profile individuals one Mr Paul Sculthorpe currently employed as an assistant to Shaun Wane in the England set up and the other Mr Lee Briers the offensive coach at one of our premier clubs who readily admits even though he is part of the coaching set up that "the game is to structured today".

Also interestingly it was said to expect the International team to perform in a much more expansive way and see new faces than was the case with the last coaching set up, to much emphasis was put on the Australian style of play it was said, all I can say is thank god that those in charge and who have the influence now don't see the style of possession football that Mr Bennett played as the main criteria.

My opinion but I would say this has been the best of the Backchat programmes ever broadcast.

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

This is not for those who believe that the evolution of RL has resulted in it being a better product to watch, quite an open and frank discussion from two high profile individuals one Mr Paul Sculthorpe currently employed as an assistant to Shaun Wane in the England set up and the other Mr Lee Briers the offensive coach at one of our premier clubs who readily admits even though he is part of the coaching set up that "the game is to structured today".

Also interestingly it was said to expect the International team to perform in a much more expansive way and see new faces than was the case with the last coaching set up, to much emphasis was put on the Australian style of play it was said, all I can say is thank god that those in charge and who have the influence now don't see the style of possession football that Mr Bennett played as the main criteria.

My opinion but I would say this has been the best of the Backchat programmes ever broadcast.

Thanks for the nice words Harry, that means a lot though my contribution made very little difference of course. The end of part 1 and the whole of part 2 was absolutely fascinating and I found myself engrossed in what they were saying rather than worrying about my role as presenter. 

1 hour ago, Matt Shaw said:

Thanks for the nice words Harry, that means a lot though my contribution made very little difference of course. The end of part 1 and the whole of part 2 was absolutely fascinating and I found myself engrossed in what they were saying rather than worrying about my role as presenter. 

You know Matt the best interviewers are the one's who can deliver a good opening question and then let the 'panel' get on with it, I thought you did that perfectly, there was no reason to intervene until they had finished with the topic, then you eloquently introduced another.

Geez, reading that back sounds patronising it wasn't meant to do.

Thanks for a very enjoyable programme.

50 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I take it you have not been involved in the game very long MoK?

Not as long as you, Gramps ?

I’m intrigued what you mean by ‘possession style of football’. How else should you play rugby league when they are no competitive scrums (and soon to be no scrums at all)? 

I think you mean structured football where players play ‘point to point’, as if following markers on a map.

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not as long as you, Gramps ?

I’m intrigued what you mean by ‘possession style of football’. How else should you play rugby league when they are no competitive scrums (and soon to be no scrums at all)? 

I think you mean structured football where players play ‘point to point’, as if following markers on a map.

Possesion style football, is error risk free boring stuff, player's frightened to make mistakes, anyway don't take my word for it watch the programme it is explaned much more eloquently than I could possibly write down here.

Nothing wrong with being gramps, at least I have reached this age ?

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Couldn't agree more Harry. Really good discussion from intelligent, articulate people.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

My biggest take away was Briers' beard looks blooming awful.... Adds 10 years to him

Interesting him calculating he played about 4 hours a day with a rugby ball in his hands as a kid .... Explains his exquisite handling and vision.... Imagine if he'd have been a better trainer

Two absolute legends of league join Matt Shaw for this lockdown edition of Back Chat.

Paul Sculthorpe (not forgetting the important MBE) and Lee Briers (no MBE but still quite important) discuss such things as why we don’t beat the Aussies at their own game...

Why the next generation is way behind the last in playing hours...

Who the most underrated players are...

And why Lee Briers refuses to eat anything on a Monday.

All this and more on this weeks Rugby League Back Chat, sponsored by TotalRL.com.

Watch it online now.

Rugby League Back Chat is first broadcast every week on Thursdays on Freesports TV.

Total Rugby League
www.totalrl.com

• John Drake changed the title to Paul Sculthorpe & Lee Briers on Back Chat (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake pinned this topic
On 12/06/2020 at 18:54, Harry Stottle said:

Not sure the discussion points were as defined as you say there Harry, but it was a good show and Matt did very well.

I don’t think there has ever been a coach who doesn’t like to keep the ball for as long  as they can. Wane won’t be playing ad hoc rugby in every part of the pitch either, but I think he’ll play (as Scully seems to want to) by allowing opportunities to be taken, if they’re on.  A simple enough method is brought up by LB.  If you have more than them, have a go.  

Very enjoyable to watch/listen to. I'd never heard Lee Briers speak before, so it was good to hear him give his thoughts about things. I thought he spoke very well - as did Paul Sculthorpe. I don't claim to understand the tactical elements of RL, but I still enjoy listening to the discussion - especially when it relates to England/GB.

On 12/06/2020 at 17:08, Matt Shaw said:

my contribution made very little difference of course.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice there, Matt. I think the great thing about Backchat is that it's RL enthusiasts talking to and interviewing other RL enthusiasts. That passion and knowledge for and about the sport really comes across, and it makes it more interesting for the viewer as a result. I've never even played RL and yet I regularly sit and watch 50 minutes of you and others talking about it, so you must be doing something right!

Archived