Wolfpack fans lament their club’s absence

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit being more than a little nervous about the whole future of RL in Canada. As each week goes by it’s looking increasingly unlikely that there will be any competitive sport played in Canada this year, this week both my sons were told that their respective university competitions were cancelled for this year, in theory due to health risk but also financially (university gridiron for example could not afford to run this year as many students are expected to take a year off given they won’t have classes on campus so no student athletic levy, plus no fans allowed at games), and even the major sports like NHL, NBA, MLB are finding that organizing games with the 14 day quarantine is a major hurdle. The reality is that the established sports in NA are firmly imprinted in the public’s minds, so not likely to be forgotten, and if Canadian teams have to play in the US to get over quarantine issues then the games will all be shown on TV, unfortunately for the Wolfpack this is not the case, and the club could easily slip away unnoticed by all but a hardy few. I’m not surprised that the Canadian government has offered no support, after all 99% of Canadians have never heard of the Wolfpack or if they have do not care about a sport they have no connection with, so the very survival of the club is down to the support of Mr Argyle, I just hope he doesn’t get too impatient given the way he has been welcomed since the Wolfpack’s promotion!

Also I apologize if I sound pessimistic when discussions take place about the future of RL in Canada. I think it’s partly due to being isolated on the west coast in a province when RL has no presence and the only way to have a face to face discussion about RL is to drive the 100km up to Whistler and seek out one of the Aussies who find employment in the resort there, even then it’s more likely you will find a union fan. The truth is that Canada is such a big place and minor sports teams in Toronto don’t register out west, in fact the lack of live sport has seen the mainstream sports channels showing NRL, some of my customers recently commented on how they enjoyed it and wouldn’t it be good if Canada had rugby teams like that! There is a very good chance that more Canadians in BC are aware of the Eels than the Wolfpack, such is the power of TV coverage.

1 hour ago, Oldbear said:

Also I apologize if I sound pessimistic when discussions take place about the future of RL in Canada. I think it’s partly due to being isolated on the west coast in a province when RL has no presence and the only way to have a face to face discussion about RL is to drive the 100km up to Whistler and seek out one of the Aussies who find employment in the resort there, even then it’s more likely you will find a union fan. The truth is that Canada is such a big place and minor sports teams in Toronto don’t register out west, in fact the lack of live sport has seen the mainstream sports channels showing NRL, some of my customers recently commented on how they enjoyed it and wouldn’t it be good if Canada had rugby teams like that! There is a very good chance that more Canadians in BC are aware of the Eels than the Wolfpack, such is the power of TV coverage.

There’s still time for the Wolfpack to get a Canadian tv deal for when they know what season will remain........it’s 2 months off yet and we don’t even know the structure so difficult to sell anything.

Also who knows if the respective governments don’t agree an air bridge by then if rates continue to decline in Canada and UK to allow for some home matches. A lot of unknowns still.

And the fact that the NRL has been broadcast and attracted attention has to be a good thing

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

There’s still time for the Wolfpack to get a Canadian tv deal for when they know what season will remain........it’s 2 months off yet and we don’t even know the structure so difficult to sell anything.

Also who knows if the respective governments don’t agree an air bridge by then if rates continue to decline in Canada and UK to allow for some home matches. A lot of unknowns still.

And the fact that the NRL has been broadcast and attracted attention has to be a good thing

Agree with your comments regarding a TV deal, hopefully the NRL attracts decent ratings to force Sportsnets hand. Can’t see an air bridge this year though, the Trudeau government seems very set on keeping Canada’s borders closed till 2021, and when they won’t offer quarantine concessions to the mighty NHL then you know they are serious about keeping things closed till next year and we can’t really blame them, outside of care homes Canada has done a decent job with the number of Covid cases, especially considering our close ties with China, Europe and the US.

1 hour ago, Omott91 said:

Argyle has come too far to let it all disappear now.

Considering the way he’s been treated by SL I wouldn’t blame him if he packed up, though I really hope he doesn’t as what he’s done has been great. 

48 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Considering the way he’s been treated by SL I wouldn’t blame him if he packed up, though I really hope he doesn’t as what he’s done has been great. 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Hopefully

2 hours ago, Omott91 said:

Argyle has come too far to let it all disappear now.

Argyle is determined...the Pack is stubborn.....not going anywhere except up, up and up.

It’s going to be interesting to see how many are still there at Toronto when they eventually get a home game back at the Lamport. After potentially eighteen months without a game, people may no longer have the same enthusiasm, have found other things to do or may feel a bit let down. 

I hope they return and return soon though. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s going to be interesting to see how many are still there at Toronto when they eventually get a home game back at the Lamport. After potentially eighteen months without a game, people may no longer have the same enthusiasm, have found other things to do or may feel a bit let down. 

It is disappointing but I don't think your fears are well founded...there is a very strong core group and it will fire back up again...may take a bit but not too long to get back to where we were before this all began.

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

It is disappointing but I don't think your fears are well founded...there is a very strong core group and it will fire back up again...may take a bit but not too long to get back to where we were before this all began.

My fear is due to how new you are in comparison to more established clubs where generations have watched clubs and more solid routines formed. It’s not really the core group I’d be worried about, I’m sure they’ll be back, it’s the other group(s) that I’m fearful of. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

My fear is due to how new you are in comparison to more established clubs where generations have watched clubs and more solid routines formed. It’s not really the core group I’d be worried about, I’m sure they’ll be back, it’s the other group(s) that I’m fearful of. 

I fully understand your concerns but I don't think they are well founded, it will take a bit of work and promotion once it resumes, but that is all.

17 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

, people may no longer have the same enthusiasm, have found other things to do or may feel a bit let down. 

I guess if all of Canadas pro sport has been in the same boat I suspect  they haven't found any other sport too watch &  may be gagging  to watch live sport.  

8 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

My worry too, Toronto offers a lot of different ways to spend money, the Wolfpack might not be so cool after a long absence.

7 hours ago, bulldog_paddy said:

I guess if all of Canadas pro sport has been in the same boat I suspect  they haven't found any other sport too watch &  may be gagging  to watch live sport.  

However the established NA sports are the ones they will truly miss and want to flock back to, the Wolfpack really need to get their games on TV to stimulate interest.

I'm not sure why Argyle kept going with the current SL participation agreement, which is nothing short of extortion.  However, if he has seen the team through this, he must be planning persisting for a while longer.

I'm not worried about crowds returning, people are itching to attend events. Just look at the initial attendances in Super Rugby after their games last weekend.

RI

I'm not worried about crowds returning, people are itching to attend events. Just look at the initial attendances in Super Rugby after their games last weekend.

I think that you are referring to Super Rugby, which held games in Corona virus free New Zealand only. You must allow for the fact that New Zealand is almost unique among nations in being declared Corona virus free, that social distancing measures have been officially relinquished, and also that rugby union is the de facto national sport and national pastime in New Zealand.

A better indication will come in low Corona virus infection rate Australia, sometime next month,  when the NRL holds matches with possible 25% stadium capacity attendance, in accordance with NSW government regulations. In the case of the new state of the art Bankwest Stadium this will mean a maximum attendance of 7,500 people. It will be interesting to see the Australian public reaction when this change is introduced.

6 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

RI

I think that you are referring to Super Rugby, which held games in Corona virus free New Zealand only. You must allow for the fact that New Zealand is almost unique among nations in being declared Corona virus free, that social distancing measures have been officially relinquished, and also that rugby union is the de facto national sport and national pastime in New Zealand.

A better indication will come in low Corona virus infection rate Australia, sometime next month,  when the NRL holds matches with possible 25% stadium capacity attendance, in accordance with NSW government regulations. In the case of the new state of the art Bankwest Stadium this will mean a maximum attendance of 7,500 people. It will be interesting to see the Australian public reaction when this change is introduced.

But what about places that have seen quite considerable mortality cases, in New Zealand they have suffered 22 deaths, Australia 102, I should think the public perception would be somewhat different in areas more greatly affected. Canada has over 9,000 and even in little Wigan we have over 10 times the amount of NZ  with 247 casualties up to 5pm 14th June - not including care homes.

So honestly I can not see what you are really trying to measure when using Australia as an example.

9 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

RI

He does state Super Rugby.

2 female travelers from England have now brought the virus back to NZ.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/new-zealands-records-first-covid19-cases-for-more-than-three-weeks-as-two-women-test-positive-after-a4469926.html

30 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What 0/6?

I Couldn't really let that pass without comment could I K'man?.

"Run with the pack"

That is a low blow Harry...a low blow.

Given baseball's determination to not play this summer - or even next summer given the acrimony between the billionaires and the millionaires - Sportsnet will be desperate for programming.

Pity the Wolfpack aren't in any sort of position to provide some for them.

Archived