Reserve grade put on hold for next year

7 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Jeez, sometimes I really do despair with the short sightedness of the game

Yeah, a once in a lifetime event in Coronavirus is seeing a lot of positive moves and progress either destroyed or possibly destroyed.

It seems very premature to scrap the competition for next year. Understandably, some clubs are going to have to re-adjust how they do things going forward, but there may still be sides who can run a reserve side next year and they should have a competition to play in. 

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

A seam of talent for Championship and League 1 clubs?

Championship & league 1 are almost certainly going to have just as big if not worse financial issues themselves. Coupled with my perceived opinion that the trend over the last few years is older ex super league players moving down the ladder rather than younger players moving up it from league 1 to championship to SL. My fear is current reserves may walk away from the game entirely & some might be lost to the other code.

Maybe Ottawa Aces will be interested in some of these guys, I’m guessing most of the 20/21 year olds are single, they might be up for a 2 year adventure on far flung shores.

12 hours ago, dead man inc said:

So the 20/21yr olds etc that are just on the fringe of being 1st team ready are supposed to twiddle their thumbs for a year until the reserves maybe makes a comeback a year later? No wonder younger players are walking away from the game ?

Are a lot of younger players walking away from the game?

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

It's time for some radical change. Time for proper feeder clubs. 

The reserves were never a panacea and is a format most sports are moving away from

We are a sport that is in desperate need of new clubs, new professional pathways, and new players and yet we also, for some reason, have felt the need to create a whole competition, in the heartlands which no-one will watch.

The game needs to pool resources and take a long term view of growth for the sport.

Good idea in theory but no fan wants their club to become a feeder club. 

17 hours ago, Total Rugby League said:

Reserve Grade will be scrapped next season, just one year after it was re-introduced. League Express understands a decision has been made to not run...

View the full article

If it is scrapped next season and there are no plans to bring it back for 2022 that might possibly finish me with the game for good and i don't think i will be alone. The people who run the game appear to be happy just to let the game tread water, but I'm not. It's not an understatement to say that in this country the game lacks ambition. We are like a rudderless ship.

I hate to say it, but the game is losing it's fans with crowds on a downward spiral and junior numbers are in free fall as well and I'm told sponsorship money is down as well.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

You cant always get what you want.

No, but it would drive fans away from the game. If I was for example a Widnes fan and they became a feeder club for Saints I’d probably never go and watch them again. 

Do you guys think this might stop players in the NCL being signed by League 1 and Championship clubs? A few players from my club had been signed this season and were really enjoying it, I’d set myself a bit of goal to maybe get to that level as well but it seems unlikely now if those clubs have Super League players to pick from.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

No, but it would drive fans away from the game. If I was for example a Widnes fan and they became a feeder club for Saints I’d probably never go and watch them again. 

Feeder clubs exist now but not in name. 

From your local pub team to your NCL team to your League one team then if your good enough to Super League. 

All feeder clubs, that's where SL players come from. 

People still go and watch their club and accept better players will move on. 

Be a sad affair if people stopped going to watch because two or three players had the opportunity to play at a higher level. 

Oh players move on now.. Strange that. 

Down under do the clubs in the NSW Cup not have affiliation with NRL teams?? 

"The New South Wales Cup, along with the Queensland Cup, acts as a feeder competition to the National Rugby League premiership." 

As a reserves grade player myself, when this news came out and entered our group chats the most overwhelming response was that boys would have to either stop playing and get jobs or start playing for Nat 1/Nat 2 Union Clubs. I think it would be a terrible shame if these players were lost. There’s a lot of talented boys in the reserves league.

Archived