Reserve grade put on hold for next year

2 hours ago, yanto said:

Feeder clubs exist now but not in name. 

From your local pub team to your NCL team to your League one team then if your good enough to Super League. 

All feeder clubs, that's where SL players come from. 

People still go and watch their club and accept better players will move on. 

Be a sad affair if people stopped going to watch because two or three players had the opportunity to play at a higher level. 

Oh players move on now.. Strange that. 

Down under do the clubs in the NSW Cup not have affiliation with NRL teams?? 

"The New South Wales Cup, along with the Queensland Cup, acts as a feeder competition to the National Rugby League premiership." 

Yes I know full well how it works in Australia but I don’t think that would be accepted here. Could be wrong of course. 

7 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

If it is scrapped next season and there are no plans to bring it back for 2022 that might possibly finish me with the game for good and i don't think i will be alone. The people who run the game appear to be happy just to let the game tread water, but I'm not. It's not an understatement to say that in this country the game lacks ambition. We are like a rudderless ship.

I hate to say it, but the game is losing it's fans with crowds on a downward spiral and junior numbers are in free fall as well and I'm told sponsorship money is down as well.

The game in this country is in declivity mode and the imagination is not there to arrest the decline with the people running the game at this time

2 hours ago, RL1999 said:

As a reserves grade player myself, when this news came out and entered our group chats the most overwhelming response was that boys would have to either stop playing and get jobs or start playing for Nat 1/Nat 2 Union Clubs. I think it would be a terrible shame if these players were lost. There’s a lot of talented boys in the reserves league.

Why not just go back to the community game? You’d need another job if you switched to National League Union anyway and it’s a hell of a tough gig travelling down south every week in Nat 1.

On 14/06/2020 at 20:35, Total Rugby League said:

Reserve Grade will be scrapped next season, just one year after it was re-introduced. League Express understands a decision has been made to not run...

View the full article

Spoke to a couple of reserve players today - all of them found out about this from the press - not a single one had been told about in advance of the article it by their clubs ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/06/2020 at 22:02, Olly98 said:

Why not just go back to the community game? You’d need another job if you switched to National League Union anyway and it’s a hell of a tough gig travelling down south every week in Nat 1.

Well thats true for some however being a midlands man myself I know how hard it is for players outside of the north to find clubs that compete at a decent level. A lot of my friends who play down at the Bronco's for example would struggle to find a new club without having to travel for hours each week. But also for northern lads playing the reserves game you get used to playing a certain standard of the sport and then if that same level of professionalism in the training and competition in your games isnt there then you start to lose interest and seek opportunities elsewhere where you can push yourself. There are just a lot more union clubs about who are playing at a better standard so it makes sense for them to go there.

1 hour ago, Celt said:

This.

This is a big part of the problem facing Rugby League IMO.

Mid tier union is simply miles ahead of community Rugby League in terms of "professionalism" to use RL1999s phrase.

How would you compare the NCL Premier competition with say the Northern Premier/Nat 2 or whatever the equivalent competition in Union would be?

We’ve got some teams playing up to 22/23 games over a 15 week period, it’s inevitable that teams are going to have to rotate and manage players workloads. With that in mind, there needs to be some consideration on amateurs/trialists/reserves etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2020 at 18:08, Celt said:

Really don't want to make this into a cross code discussion, but the thought of losing talented SL reserve players to union is a sickener.

After 6 years including scholarship academy and reserves me and my mates have all been let go by email!

Basically told the rfl said no reserves next season that reference was  made in the press about reserves 'friendlies' next year but would not be possible because of costs for a reserves squad staffing and facilities.

A couple of us have made enquiries with nat1/nat 2 union clubs for trials as they seem to pay more than part time champ and league 1 teams.

On 15/06/2020 at 19:32, RL1999 said:

As a reserves grade player myself, when this news came out and entered our group chats the most overwhelming response was that boys would have to either stop playing and get jobs or start playing for Nat 1/Nat 2 Union Clubs. I think it would be a terrible shame if these players were lost. There’s a lot of talented boys in the reserves league.

Two from leeds Loui McConnell and Liam Whitton just signed for FEV

Archived