The Festival Of Football

Festival of Football   

43 members have voted

1. 1. How much of the PL will you watch?

• My eyeballs will be glued to the tv for every game
    • Matches involving the big boys only
    • Relegation and Euro place battles only
    • The odd game only
    • Zero, Zip, Zilch Nada

19 hours ago, Copa said:

I’ve never watched an entire match in my life.

I find it very difficult to watch Football on TV, if it's a big final or international I might watch it in a group but premier league (or other) football just bores me.

That said one of the most enjoyable TV sporting events I can recall was the 2018 FIFA world cup. I was in France for a couple of weeks of it and had the good fortune to be in a bar in Antibes for France Argentina. Mrs Shadow and I stayed and enjoyed several beers whilst lui donner grande avec beaucoup d'  "Allez les Bleus"

The atmosphere for England Sweden was nearly as good although there did seem to be a surprising number of Scandianvians living in and around Carcassonne. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Shadow said:

I find it very difficult to watch Football on TV, if it's a big final or international I might watch it in a group but premier league (or other) football just bores me.

That said one of the most enjoyable TV sporting events I can recall was the 2018 FIFA world cup. I was in France for a couple of weeks of it and had the good fortune to be in a bar in Antibes for France Argentina. Mrs Shadow and I stayed and enjoyed several beers whilst lui donner grande avec beaucoup d'  "Allez les Bleus"

The atmosphere for England Sweden was nearly as good although there did seem to be a surprising number of Scandianvians living in and around Carcassonne. 

That’s interesting as most football followers agree that the highest standard of football is now played by the top club sides and not the international sides.

This is most evident in the latter stages f the Champions League when the best of the club sides meet.

I guess though there is a social aspect to sport which might trump individual viewings.  I do find the England scene to be extremely toxic though and have never had an interest in following the national side in person.

12 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

That’s interesting as most football followers agree that the highest standard of football is now played by the top club sides and not the international sides.

This is most evident in the latter stages f the Champions League when the best of the club sides meet.

I guess though there is a social aspect to sport which might trump individual viewings.  I do find the England scene to be extremely toxic though and have never had an interest in following the national side in person.

I don't enjoy football enough (at all really) to get any pleasure from watching a game for it's own merits, it's only when there's some national interest like world cup / euros that I find any engagement and that's usually as a result of the event rather than the spectacle, some notable exceptions, England Argentina in 98 sticks in my memory 

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

I don't enjoy football enough (at all really) to get any pleasure from watching a game for it's own merits, it's only when there's some national interest like world cup / euros that I find any engagement and that's usually as a result of the event rather than the spectacle, some notable exceptions, England Argentina in 98 sticks in my memory 

Fair enough.

I follow Football less and less, apart from the International scene, so some of his references pass me by, but David Squires' weekly cartoon in the Grauniad usually makes me laugh. Here's this week's: https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/jun/16/david-squires-on-a-whole-new-ball-game-as-premier-league-restarts 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Has VAR been dropped now ?

VAR and goal line technology are seperated, I think. If the ball crosses the line the refs watch is supposed to buzz. Maybe he forgot to switch it on. I'm surprised the VAR refs didn't intervene though. 

Not that it matters to me because Swindon Town are Champions! ? 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

. If the ball crosses the line the refs watch is supposed to buzz. Maybe he forgot to switch it on.

If it’s a rubbish Casio off Amazon like mine it’s probably broke

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Boring , boring ,boring , boring , boring ,boring 

Oh come on, the match they chose for the return of the PL wasn't that good.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

There have been some shocking performances so far. My team Saturday, Burnley last night. 

It doesnt help players refusing to play either, especially on all that money. 

Hoping there will be a response om Wednesday. 

1 hour ago, Niels said:

There have been some shocking performances so far. My team Saturday, Burnley last night. 

It doesnt help players refusing to play either, especially on all that money. 

Hoping there will be a response om Wednesday. 

It has been poor , hasn't it , not seeing the cheating for 3 months , then it return just makes me want to turn it off 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

It has been poor , hasn't it , not seeing the cheating for 3 months , then it return just makes me want to turn it off 

The first game I started to watch was in the championship , and after 2 minutes a bloke collapsed holding his face and was rolling around ... and the replay showed a guys hand had brushed against his face . I thought yep footys back and knocked it off 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The first game I started to watch was in the championship , and after 2 minutes a bloke collapsed holding his face and was rolling around ... and the replay showed a guys hand had brushed against his face . I thought yep footys back and knocked it off 

Same thing happened last night in the City game , a hand caught a players shoulder/chin , a second later he's on the floor holding his face 

Then a couple of minutes later a city player pulled back a Burney player as he was breaking through , yellow card ! , How exactly does that help Burnley ( they were 4-0 down at the time ) ? , They desperately need sin bins and a serious look at the rules , the same is needed in RL but to a lesser degree 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes it has been poor. I was expecting a lot more effort, more movement to create space and opportunity. 

I agree with you that the cheating is very annoying, and also the reckless challenges that injure players going unpunished. 

Hoping for better tomorrow. 

We’re basically watching pre-season standard football in terms of where the players are at after such a lengthy lay off.

I believe people’s expectations are too high at the moment and there’s some players also returning from long term injuries.

I expect it to follow the example of the Bundesliga where the quality of play and in particular the passing moves got better as the teams played more matches.

Archived