Favourite buildings

After St Pancras, another cathedral to the railways, Mumbai Central.

787110-mumbai-cst-station.jpg

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

some of the old mill buildings in Batley and Dewsbury and other northern towns are amazing if you can see through the  dirt and grime and general demise of these  towns in the last 40 years 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

The Berliner Fernsehturm, the symbol of my favourite city. Always gives me a beaming smile when I see it as I'm on the S-bahn heading towards Alexanderplatz. Don't know if easyjet fly into shonefeld anymore but when they did you could see the Fernsehturm from right out by the airport, you can't quite the same from Tegel.

Great journey into the city that, you pass some really iconic parts of Berlin, especially as you get to Treptower Park cos between there and Alexanderplatz, if you know what you're looking for you'll see the molecule man sculpture in the spree, the Oberbaum Bridge, the Kater Blau nightclub/commune and if I remember rightly you see the east side gallery which is a reconstructed section of the Berlin Wall decorated with graffiti art plus some stereotypical communist housing projects. 

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I wholly agree, Futtocks.  It caught my eye when I was a young man!

still there, although derelict atm

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

50 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

some of the old mill buildings in Batley and Dewsbury and other northern towns are amazing if you can see through the  dirt and grime and general demise of these  towns in the last 40 years 

yes those on the road up to the station are really impressive

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

4 minutes ago, Trojan said:

still there, although derelict atm

Sold to a new owner about a year ago: http://www.ashwellrogers.com/sale-former-little-chef-markham-moor-south/ 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I should have qualified it as UK building.  Having said that there are some great ones mentioned here.  No one who's been to Sagrada Familia or La Pedrera can fail to be impressed by the genius of Gaudi.  My favourite abroad (although The Corn Exchange is still my no 1) is this:

FLATIRON.jpg

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 1

Clement Attlee.

7 minutes ago, Trojan said:

good

Well, let's hope there's a happy next chapter for the building. That canopy is still eye-catching in the 21st Century. I can't imagine the impact it must have had in the generally staid Fifties.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Brighton Pavillion

Mount St Michael at Penzance

The Brighton Pavilion is nuts.

As for St Michael's Mount, I like it, but have to place it below its counterpart Mont St Michel, on the other side of the channel.

gettyimages-818591066.jpg

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Hungarian Parliament building, in Budapest. It looks much nicer than the first time I saw it, when it had a garish red star on the front.

orszaghaz-budapest-915x595.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

We can't miss out mad King Ludwig when it comes to fantasy buildings, so here's Neuschwanstein Castle.

From_Bridge.jpg

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

This place always used to catch my eye when going up and down the A1 as a kid Compared to all the other rather grim-looking stops on the road, it stood out, just for the roof. A product of the Fifties, the second photo shows it in the original state, before they built a cafe into the structure.

geograph-173949-by-richard-croft.jpg?w=640

17c79fbb2f04f24a973003705116323b.jpg

Starbucks now. Just down the road from me.

1 minute ago, Northern Eel said:

Starbucks now. Just down the road from me.

An ignominious end... but I suppose their coffee may be marginally better then Little Chef's.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The adobe mosque at Djenne. It gets a fresh coat of mud every year, all done by hand.

Mosque-Djenne-Mali.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

As impressive as the Sri Swaminarayan Temple in Neasden is on the outside, the inside is out of this world. image.jpeg.fc88fbde8543439be674ac4a9592453c.jpeg 

It is all the more interesting as a monolith amongst its very different surroundings.

I also think the old Bankside Power Station makes a tremendous setting for the Tate Modern.

Edited by Northern Eel

2 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

I also think the old Bankside Power Station makes a tremendous setting for the Tate Modern.

Spot on. They could have filled the vast turbine hall with extra levels and rooms, but chose to leave a space that is an exhibit in itself.

Ralph Waldo Emerson