Favourite buildings

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Taj Mahal

Someone will be along with an Indian restaurant joke very soon...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Melk Abbey, Austria. 

99525881-melk-abbey-monastery-aerial-pan

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Locally my favourite building is our Mechanics Institute. A major part of my Town's history... 

FjupzBAUjkBsBMV-800x450-noPad.jpg

...however the state it is currently in is a disgrace. 

207897372.jpg

The maddest looking building I've been to is Pena Palace in Sintra, Portugal. Yes, it's real! 

3010693.jpeg

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 2
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

18 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Rochdale town hall is impressive.  (lots of the northern town halls are, flashing the wealth of the times)

Emily Moor tower (great views from the top)

There are some magnificent town halls in the north of England as you say.  Here's the one from my home town, Morley and its larger twin Bolton

Morley_Town_Hall,_Queen_Street_(geograph_6368393).jpg

bolton town hall.jpg

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

On 16/06/2020 at 13:46, Futtocks said:

This place always used to catch my eye when going up and down the A1 as a kid Compared to all the other rather grim-looking stops on the road, it stood out, just for the roof. A product of the Fifties, the second photo shows it in the original state, before they built a cafe into the structure.

geograph-173949-by-richard-croft.jpg?w=640

17c79fbb2f04f24a973003705116323b.jpg

I thought there was a building with a parabolic roof on Kingsland Grange Estate near Warrington.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

19 minutes ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

On a more modest scale, another example of my liking for railway architecture. This is Scarborough and its also nice to see it has retained at least part of its canopy.

And it has (or at least had) the longest platform bench (139 metres) anywhere!

epphswjvqlbub8m1nd6n.jpg

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson