Your best Rugby League history items?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Yorkshire Cup winners medal from Fevs win v Hull 1959. Willis Fawley (hooker) left me it when he passed away. Used to live near him many moons ago and told him about the Fev matches when i got home. 

Old leather rugby ball from about 1971 signed by Wakefield and Leeds players,although the signatures have almost faded away.I won it in a raffle in a pub in Stanley proceeds were for Trinity and former Featherstone forward Peter Harrison who had his leg amputated after badly breaking it in a game against Castleford.One raffle i would rather have not bought a ticket for.

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

A signed programme from the 1970 GB Ashes winning tour, midweek game 

Leigh v Australia programme 1959, Brian Fallon winning the game for Leigh after trailing by 9.

Send a pic to the email that's good!

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

25 minutes ago, Reverend Ram said:

we have in the family a  Yorkshire Amateur Cup Final winner’s medal from 1913 won by my grandad when he was trainer to Dewsbury Celtic 

Wow that's mega, send an email on the article ?

50 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Old leather rugby ball from about 1971 signed by Wakefield and Leeds players,although the signatures have almost faded away.I won it in a raffle in a pub in Stanley proceeds were for Trinity and former Featherstone forward Peter Harrison who had his leg amputated after badly breaking it in a game against Castleford.One raffle i would rather have not bought a ticket for.

Likewise, send a pic to the email if you would

Plaque and picture of me receiving the award from Fev for my continuous support and contributions. Must be around 1989. Rob Smith my son on one picture with me. Plaque has on it crossed head choppers with flowers, a lion, flowers a post and at the bottom it say 'Consilio Et Animis'. At the very bottom on a curve it says FEATHERSTONE ROVERS R.L.F.C.  It is made to hang up. I also have a signed ball. that needs blowing up. It has on it Featherstone Rovers RLFC and Beazer Homes printed on the side. I don't want to handle it too much but can see the signatures of Brendan Tuuata, Chris Burton, Carl Gibson, Owen Simpson, Brett Daunt and Terry Manning plus quite a few others. Happy memories.

5 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

I understand the Latin means Intelligence and Courage. Or words to that effect.

Strictly speaking, jamescolin, the words 'consilio' and 'animis' are in the ablative case.  That means that a more accurate translation might be 'by intelligence and courage'. 'Animis' is also the ablative plural of the word which, in its singular form means 'spirit' or 'soul'; the latter of these definitions is often attached to the word when it crops up in sacred texts set to music.  For instance, over the centuries, many composers have set to music the text beginning, "Anima Christi, sanctifica me", that is, 'Soul of Christ, sanctify me.'

25 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Plaque and picture of me receiving the award from Fev for my continuous support and contributions. Must be around 1989. Rob Smith my son on one picture with me. Plaque has on it crossed head choppers with flowers, a lion, flowers a post and at the bottom it say 'Consilio Et Animis'. At the very bottom on a curve it says FEATHERSTONE ROVERS R.L.F.C.  It is made to hang up. I also have a signed ball. that needs blowing up. It has on it Featherstone Rovers RLFC and Beazer Homes printed on the side. I don't want to handle it too much but can see the signatures of Brendan Tuuata, Chris Burton, Carl Gibson, Owen Simpson, Brett Daunt and Terry Manning plus quite a few others. Happy memories.

Send me an email with the picture! Piece of history right there ?

10 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Strictly speaking, jamescolin, the words 'consilio' and 'animis' are in the ablative case.  That means that a more accurate translation might be 'by intelligence and courage'. 'Animis' is also the ablative plural of the word which, in its singular form means 'spirit' or 'soul'; the latter of these definitions is often attached to the word when it crops up in sacred texts set to music.  For instance, over the centuries, many composers have set to music the text beginning, "Anima Christi, sanctifica me", that is, 'Soul of Christ, sanctify me.'

Thanks for that very interesting WWD. Like your interests. Where did you come across RL? 

2 minutes ago, Ash Hope said:

Send me an email with the picture! Piece of history right there ?

Will try in due course. Having trouble with computer at the moment regarding pictures. Cheers Ash.

Just now, jamescolin said:

Will try in due course. Having trouble with computer at the moment regarding pictures. Cheers Ash.

If it continues let me have your address (confidentially of course) and I will post you one.

11 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've got a Hull Sharks scarf. 

Don't reckon there's many of them about! Send it in

I'm putting some Hull stuff up that was in the loft actually haha

10 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

If it continues let me have your address (confidentially of course) and I will post you one.

Sure will do - I'll message you it if needs be let me know ?

I have a Wigan v Manly Clash of the Titans advertising poster signed by most of the Manly team.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just had a quick look through my programmes. Some of the more interesting ones:

My oldest one is Hull v Doncaster from 1959. 

Probably most random one is Heworth v West Hull in the Challenge Cup from 1988. 

I've got 2 Hull Sharks programmes, Saints and Warrington, I think both from 1999. Must say I did think I had more Sharks ones. 

I've got a bunch of Ryedale York programmes as well which I must have bought in a charity shop at some point cos I never went to one of their games. 

Archived