Your best Rugby League history items?

10 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just had a quick look through my programmes. Some of the more interesting ones:

My oldest one is Hull v Doncaster from 1959. 

Probably most random one is Heworth v West Hull in the Challenge Cup from 1988. 

I've got 2 Hull Sharks programmes, Saints and Warrington, I think both from 1999. Must say I did think I had more Sharks ones. 

I've got a bunch of Ryedale York programmes as well which I must have bought in a charity shop at some point cos I never went to one of their games. 

9 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Also, another interesting item, I have my ticket from the Hull v Toronto pre-season friendly, Toronto's first ever game. Only about 4,000 at that game so can't be many of those tickets still kicking around. 

Take your pic! I reckon Sharks is more niche but you're right about Toronto ticket - happy to have either by all means ?

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, del capo said:

I still have a boomerang given to me by Roy Evans on his return from Australia and signed by the man himself following a   GB tour in the sixties....….

I brushed past this but you've got to send me a photo!!! onlinemuseum@totalrl.com

4 hours ago, MADREDNIGE said:

A Yorkshire Cup winners medal from Fevs win v Hull 1959. Willis Fawley (hooker) left me it when he passed away. Used to live near him many moons ago and told him about the Fev matches when i got home. 

onlinemuseum@totalrl.com

Send it in! Legendary

9 minutes ago, Ash Hope said:

Now you have to send this.... PLEASE

I also have a Wigan v Hull 1985 challenge cup final ticket stub.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Ash Hope said:

Now you have to send this.... PLEASE

I also have a Wigan v Hull 1985 challenge cup final ticket stub.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

58 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Best piece of memorabilia I have is the old ground regulations from Knowsley Road. Think they were attached to the turnstile before you went in!

Ha I really like this - email it in! ?

37 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I have one of the original Subbuteo Rugby Sets when the players were round discs, it was purchased around 1967.

email it to onlinemuseum@totalrl.com sounds good

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I have a Saints programme from when we played SHAPE Indians in the 70’s. I know absolutely nothing about them, it just seemed unusual so I bought it for a quid on eBay. 

Ha send us a photo - certainly an oddity! ?

14 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I have a Saints programme from when we played SHAPE Indians in the 70’s. I know absolutely nothing about them, it just seemed unusual so I bought it for a quid on eBay. 

Just had a bit of a search, and it seems that SHAPE stands for Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers in Europe, so the Indians may well have been an armed forces select side.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 16/06/2020 at 20:08, jamescolin said:

Thanks for that very interesting WWD. Like your interests. Where did you come across RL? 

Thanks for asking.

All my primary school days and early secondary school ones were spent living in a hamlet to the east of Bristol, in South Gloucestershire.  At secondary school in Bristol, I had to play rugby - union, of course.  Then my dad, a dermatologist, got a job with the Wigan & Leigh Hospital Management Board in 1963.  We rented a house from them in the grounds of Astley Hospital, which I think had been either an isolation hospital or a sanitarium; Astley was on the 26 bus route from Leigh to Salford and also the terminus of a Leigh Corporation one (either service 1 or 2, I forget which one), not to mention the Lancashire United service 30/35 from Tyldesley (just up the road and an early Northern Union member).  I went to school in Bolton, a soccer town, and indeed we played soccer there.  But my new best mate was from Atherton; his mum worked in Laburnum Mills and his dad in one of the local pits.  I began going to rugby league games with him - usually at Wigan, often at Leigh.  The first was Wigan's 15-4 victory over Featherstone Rovers in January, 1964.

I could quickly see that this code had a very different emphasis on handling from union (the latter over the years has become much more of a handling code too) and I enjoyed watching it.  I soon realised that some of the Wigan team were really quite good, for instance a fairly promising centre and wing combination by the names of Ashton and Boston!

Sadly, my dad died suddenly in early 1965, just as I was approaching my 'O' levels, which I nevertheless just got on with.  We made a family decision to return to the Bristol area, where we had been for about ten years, and I ended back at my first secondary school for the term starting in the Autumn of 1965.  My last live game (for the time being) was Wigan's defeat by New Zealand, 12-17, in early September.

So that wasn't a long, first spell watching the game live, but made a profound impact on me, as you can probably tell.

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks for asking.

All my primary school days and early secondary school ones were spent living in a hamlet to the east of Bristol, in South Gloucestershire.  At secondary school in Bristol, I had to play rugby - union, of course.  Then my dad, a dermatologist, got a job with the Wigan & Leigh Hospital Management Board in 1963.  We rented a house from them in the grounds of Astley Hospital, which I think had been either an isolation hospital or a sanitarium; Astley was on the 26 bus route from Leigh to Salford and also the terminus of a Leigh Corporation one (either service 1 or 2, I forget which one), not to mention the Lancashire United service 30/35 from Tyldesley (just up the road and an early Northern Union member).  I went to school in Bolton, a soccer town, and indeed we played soccer there.  But my new best mate was from Atherton; his mum worked in Laburnum Mills and his dad in one of the local pits.  I began going to rugby league games with him - usually at Wigan, often at Leigh.  The first was Wigan's 15-4 victory over Featherstone Rovers in January, 1964.

I could quickly see that this code had a very different emphasis on handling from union (the latter over the years has become much more of a handling code too) and I enjoyed watching it.  I soon realised that some of the Wigan team were really quite good, for instance a fairly promising centre and wing combination by the names of Ashton and Boston!

Sadly, my dad died suddenly in early 1965, just as I was approaching my 'O' levels, which I nevertheless just got on with.  We made a family decision to return to the Bristol area, where we had been for about ten years, and I ended back at my first secondary school for the term starting in the Autumn of 1965.  My last live game (for the time being) was Wigan's defeat by New Zealand, 12-17, in early September.

So that wasn't a long, first spell watching the game live, but made a profound impact on me, as you can probably tell.

Nice story, got any memorabilia from your travels for our virtual collection?

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks for asking.

Cheers for that. Very interesting. Even in our area there was a lot of RU at schools in my youth. When I did my National Service when they found out I had played RL I was straight into the army RU team in Aldershot. Even played in the sand in Egypt. Latter in life I was banned from playing  RU in Leeds as I had played RL. 

On 16/06/2020 at 18:16, del capo said:

I still have a boomerang given to me by Roy Evans on his return from Australia and signed by the man himself following a   GB tour in the sixties....….

I presume, dc, that the reason you still have this is because whenever you've tried to throw it away, you have been unsuccessful!

Hi Ash,

I have a very rare photo of various dummies that have been spat out by RL fans on this forum in recent years. Unfortunately I've lost the certificate of authenticity, so I'm unable to provide details of whom they initially belonged to, or the issue that caused them to be spat out (e.g. expansion, Toronto, marketing, etc.). Let me know if you're interested in this valuable piece of RL history.

memorabilia.jpg

21 hours ago, Ash Hope said:

Nice story, got any memorabilia from your travels for our virtual collection?

Sorry, Ash.  Only memories, including of Roy Evans - mentioned in a post above by del capo - scoring the only try of the match as Wigan beat the Saints 7-2 at Central Park in the second round of the Challenge Cup in season 1964-65; a fellow forward - Brian McTigue, I think - slipped him a lovely short ball and Evans romped over from what seemed like the half-way line.  The crowd was 39,938!

So, although I have no old programmes from that era, I do recall that at one of Central and Hilton Parks, it was 3d for a child to get in, and 4d for a programme, and at the other 6d to get in but only 3d for the programme.  However, I cannot remember which was which!

40 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Hi Ash,

I have a very rare photo of various dummies that have been spat out by RL fans on this forum in recent years. Unfortunately I've lost the certificate of authenticity, so I'm unable to provide details of whom they initially belonged to, or the issue that caused them to be spat out (e.g. expansion, Toronto, marketing, etc.). Let me know if you're interested in this valuable piece of RL history.

memorabilia.jpg

For posterity, I have printed out all of Parky's posts about the Wolfpack. Here's Vol.1.

stack-of-papers-paperback-backup-640x353

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 18/06/2020 at 20:09, jamescolin said:

Cheers for that. Very interesting. Even in our area there was a lot of RU at schools in my youth. When I did my National Service when they found out I had played RL I was straight into the army RU team in Aldershot. Even played in the sand in Egypt. Latter in life I was banned from playing  RU in Leeds as I had played RL. 

One thing I forgot to say was that, when at school in Bolton, I was one of a minority of kids in my year who, for a second language, did Latin rather than German (French was the obligatory first one); this was because I had done Latin at school in Bristol, but not German.  In my Latin set was a lad with the rather unusual name of Angior whose first name I cannot recall.  He reckoned his dad was the Wigan RLFC club doctor, and I have no reason to doubt this was true.  He and I didn't dislike each other, but weren't best mates either, so I never got any invitations!

'Googling' the name 'Angior', I see that The Daily Telegraph carried an obituary in 2011 for Joan Angior, aged 96, of Wigan and wife of the late Dr Carl Angior.  Does anybody know whether Wigan did indeed have a club doctor of this name?

Archived