Scrumless

saddleworth

Looks as if the RL is set to disallow the scrums when the season starts in August. They claim that the "face to face" action is a risk due to the present virus. Personally, I would hazard a guess that a three man tackle would be just as risky, or are we going to see touch and pass being introduced?. Assuming that the scrums are abolished, how is the game to be restarted?. 

10 minutes ago, saddleworth said:

Looks as if the RL is set to disallow the scrums when the season starts in August. They claim that the "face to face" action is a risk due to the present virus. Personally, I would hazard a guess that a three man tackle would be just as risky, or are we going to see touch and pass being introduced?. Assuming that the scrums are abolished, how is the game to be restarted?. 

If it's not safe to have a scrum well it's certainly not safe to be on the field in any capacity. If it's deemed safe to play at all then it must be safe in all aspects.

If Players and coaches from all three divisions were tested it is odds on that none would have a positive result.Current rate although i think it will be higher is 6 in evey 10,000 have the virus.So 30 tested from each Club would be under 1,000 tests so less than 1.Although in the latest Premier League tests 2 had it in 1200 tests after 0 the previous round of tests.I think the wise move would be to write off this season,giving Championship and League 1 clubs a vote  to continue or not seems to be the fairest way to proceed.Never thought i would live long enough to see Rugby League without scrums the Worlds gone mad.

2 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

If it's not safe to have a scrum well it's certainly not safe to be on the field in any capacity. If it's deemed safe to play at all then it must be safe in all aspects.

It's about risk mitigation, the studies show that 12 bodies closely bound for a period is a greater risk than 3 or 4 bodies in a tackle, it is not about "hazarding a guess".

Contested scrums in the other code have resulted in career ending and life threatening injuries.

Scrums in League are a device to collect the "big lads" in one place and leave gaps for a running game.

I would rather see play the balls replace scrums and have rugby to watch than not have rugby to watch

hawk-eye.gif

20 hours ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Nrl seem to be coping ok. 

That's the sort of statement Trump comes out with. 

Deaths in Australia 102 

Deaths in England 42000 

We have have 3x their population but a 400 X more likelyhood of contracting it. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Vause said:

That's the sort of statement Trump comes out with. 

Deaths in Australia 102 

Deaths in England 42000 

We have have 3x their population but a 400 X more likelyhood of contracting it. 

Trump my a--- well are they coping or not?  Re Read what i replied to! 

44 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

I have done , several times, unless you are being deeply cryptic your comment rather than reply seems to me that you are saying that the NRL are coping with playing RL safely in the Corona virus. 

So you're stating that a country that has had 102 deaths per 22 million population is coping well with NRL. That's what I get from the message. 

We as a country have had  42000 deaths per 66 million people. A death rate 110 times higher per capita. 

So all I'm failing to understand is how the NRL being played safely equates to our situation. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Vause said:

I have done , several times, unless you are being deeply cryptic your comment rather than reply seems to me that you are saying that the NRL are coping with playing RL safely in the Corona virus. 

So you're stating that a country that has had 102 deaths per 22 million population is coping well with NRL. That's what I get from the message. 

We as a country have had  42000 deaths per 66 million people. A death rate 110 times higher per capita. 

So all I'm failing to understand is how the NRL being played safely equates to our situation. 

The post i read was about RL it didn't define between England and Australia but like you quite rightly pointed out there's a huge difference between us and them. 

2 hours ago, MADREDNIGE said:

I'd read it that you meant NRL were coping without having scrums. Is that what you meant?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

14 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Yeah, we got there in the end lol. 

I nearly commented earlier, but don't like stepping in to try to explain someone else's comments. ?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

I would have a one man either side scrum. The other five per team would have one of them as scrum half and the other four standing two aside at the modified scrum. That way they would not interfere with the space for the backs. The #### half would throw the ball into the two players who would be interlocked. He would throw it in straight and the players would strike for the ball.  The winning scrum half would then have the opportunity to pass to his stand off. The side on forwards on either side of the scrum  would not be able to tackle the opposing scrum half by approaching him when he got the ball unless he ran straight at them. They, as said would be two on one side and two on the other slightly behind the two man scrum. That way we could still have scrums and the backs would have running space.

I agree an uncontested scrum is a bit of waste.

Why not just take a tap instead.

The skill of the hooker has changed.

We won the 83 cup final partly due to having the best hooker and pack on the field.

2 hours ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Why bother with scrums at all? Complete waste of time. 

Main thing is that they take twelve players out of the action for a while giving the backs more room.

1 hour ago, Bryan S Taylor said:

I agree an uncontested scrum is a bit of waste.

Why not just take a tap instead.

The skill of the hooker has changed.

We won the 83 cup final partly due to having the best hooker and pack on the field.

Posted Tuesday 16-6-2020

"It's about risk mitigation, the studies show that 12 bodies closely bound for a period is a greater risk than 3 or 4 bodies in a tackle, it is not about "hazarding a guess".

Contested scrums in the other code have resulted in career ending and life threatening injuries.

Scrums in League are a device to collect the "big lads" in one place and leave gaps for a running game.

I would rather see play the balls replace scrums and have rugby to watch than not have rugby to watch"

An acknowledgement would be polite!

Kadgaokooko (spelling?) were number 1 in 1983, do you really want to go there?

hawk-eye.gif

Ok a tap start but so that the threequarters have a bit of space then from the point of the tap six players of either side stand at the  spot the tap is taken. Then it is game on as the b all is tapped. The  backs would have the same running space as when there was a scrum and we would have an open game. A time period would be introduced for the twelve players to be in  position. 

Archived