Your biggest Rovers miss

Andrew Vause

On 17/06/2020 at 10:36, Andrew Vause said:

I'd be really interested to hear people's view of which of the following players were Rovers' biggest miss after their sale. 

I've kept it since 1974 my first game. Here goes, feel free to add your own:

Dates shown are approximates. 

Steve Nash -Salford 1975

John Newlove -Hull Ca.78

Vince Farrar- Hull Ca. 78

Keith Bridges- Bradford Ca.78

Jimmy Thompson- Bradford Ca. 78

Steve Evans - Hull 1982

David Hobbs -Oldham 1985

John Gilbert -Widnes 1986

Graham Steadman-  Castleford 1989

Deryck Fox- Bradford 1992

Paul Newlove -Bradford 1993

Jamie Rooney -Wakefield 2002

Danny Kirmond -Huddersfield 2008.

Zak Hardaker -Leeds 2011.

I only started watching Rovers in the early 80's so I didn't get the chance to see some of these.  But of the ones I did see..

Steady - I remember being gutted when he left.  One of those worth the admission when he was on song.

Newey - I think the best Rovers player I have seen.  Genuine world class.

Deryck Fox - definitely a massive loss.  Did he leave after we were relegated ?  I think his best years were with us though.

Finny - must be worth a mention.  He was our midfield general when we won the league for 4 successive years.  Despite that I dont think too many were overly disappointed when we thought we were getting something a bit more dynamic / younger in Gareth Moore.  Although he was the best of the Batley 4 - how wrong we were.  There were other reasons why we subsequently slipped down the pecking order namely Beaumont getting a sniff of SL but on stats alone Finny was a big loss

Tuuta - As with Deryck we got the best years out of Tuuta.  But in terms of being missed as a fans favourite he must come out on top ?  I was watching an old game on YouTube the other day V sheffield at Don Valley.  I couldn't remember the result so was glued to it.  We had a few missing that day and got beaten but it was a cracking game.  Tuuta's performance just made me remember how good he was.  He set up one try with a floated over the top pass then another when he regathered his kick through.  Crazy to think he was just known as a hard runner and tackler.  Anyway to top it off he got sent off in the closing stages with a late 'flop' causing a mass brawl.  Legend.

On 21/06/2020 at 22:37, RobLambert said:

Tuuta - As with Deryck we got the best years out of Tuuta.  But in terms of being missed as a fans favourite he must come out on top ?  I was watching an old game on YouTube the other day V sheffield at Don Valley.  I couldn't remember the result so was glued to it.  We had a few missing that day and got beaten but it was a cracking game.  Tuuta's performance just made me remember how good he was.  He set up one try with a floated over the top pass then another when he regathered his kick through.  Crazy to think he was just known as a hard runner and tackler.  Anyway to top it off he got sent off in the closing stages with a late 'flop' causing a mass brawl.  Legend.

???

Amen to that, an absolute giant of a player (despite his modest size), who always fired up and set the tempo for what was a grand Fev side. I won't say he enjoyed a scrap, but I see he's due to take part in that Rl charity boxing event at Leeds Arena in October......

Agreed re Newey too, looked a shoo-in for a GB shirt even when he was just coming through into that same Fev side.

Archived