Super League Clubs take SKY Funding hit

Its going to be a tough for most clubs in SL to see the next few months through unless the owner has deep pockets we could sadly see several clubs go under this year.

The reality is the RFL/SL are going to have to re-write their insolvency rules IMHO its the clubs with their own stadiums that could be hit the hardest going into administration or insolvency (Unless a pre-pack) as they have assets for creditors to get their hands on.

Funny enough the 2 clubs that maybe are in the strongest positions are

* Toronto Wolfpack (DA has deep pockets and is in it for the long haul)

* Catalan Dragons (All ground overheads covered by the Marie with or without income)

SL Clubs that should be OK

*  Warrington Wolves (Simon Moran will make 100% sure they are OK)

* Huddersfield Giants  (Ditto Ken Davy)

I would put the above 4 clubs as being in the strongest position to ride the storm out 

MIDDLE GROUND 

*  Leeds Rhinos 

*  St Helens 

* Wigan Warriors

LOWER MIDDLE GROUND 

* Castleford Tigers 

* Hull KR

ONES TO WATCH 

* Hull FC

* Wakefield Trinity 

* Salford 

In the Championship the 2 clubs in the strongest financial position to ride it out 

* London Broncos 

* Toulouse 

Just my opinion 

Lets debate 

Something that hasn’t been mentioned and that is if the Super League clubs take a huge financial hit of £280K,then seeing as Super League run the game,what will happen to Championship and Championship 1 clubs?
Will they as a result also take a huge financial hit next year just before the expected cutting a drift befalls them all?

14 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The reality is the RFL/SL are going to have to re-write their insolvency rules IMHO its the clubs with their own stadiums that could be hit the hardest going into administration or insolvency (Unless a pre-pack) as they have assets for creditors to get their hands on.

This depends on the business model. The smart clubs do not own the stadium (though fans think they do). They are two seperate businesses. When Warrington moved to their new stadium it was modelled in such a way that if the club went bust the stadium was safe and the stadium couldn't be sold without the clubs consent but neither fully owned the other. I don't know what the Moran model is or if it is still the same.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I hate articles like this, and I hate the fact that this is often as in depth journalism we get in RL. 

It's just a number that gives no context around why or the impact on the total deal. 

It seems strange that there seems to be an acceptance that Sky will cover fewer games this year, despite the delays in football they are covering even more games from the Premier League. 

If this is for a saving of £5m by Sky it seems an odd thing to do at a time of contract negotiations. 

Archived