Club Songs

Being more open to a song song, do all the English SL clubs have what would be considered an official club song? (I’m sure there is a YMCA joke in there somewhere).

Most Sydney RL clubs do but the only club I know that will embrace the song by singing it after a win is the Sharks.

In AFL, the club song is intrinsic, so it is strange that the club song is valued differently between the two codes in Aus.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard Oldham fans really like Swing Low Sweet Chariot but that may be because Sky told them to.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

It should be mandatory,at a time when history is being re-written/abolished,that current local musicians are invited to rugby league stadia, to not only perform, but compose a new song, relevant to this millennium , for their local rugby league clubs.

Some musicians may not get too many opportunities to perform in front of hundreds/thousands of people.

It could be beneficial for both the young/not so young musicians, and the clubs.

It also be mandatory that any songs composed from beyond these shores,especially the USA,or sung by singers from beyond these shores,especially American,are banned from rugby league stadia here in the UK.

It should ensure a musical experience for every rugby league event, up to and beyond the composition of the new club song.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

London town is wonderful

I'll take your word for it, BB, but do either of the Broncos or Skolars have a club song?

I vaguely remember St Helens having a song that was (I think) based on the tune from "The Wild Rover". 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

Saints go marching in is traditionally Saints song.  Also you fill up my senses with altered lyrics is used by the fans. 

I might be thinking of the latter. Something about Tommy Martyn in it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Aye, Rovers’ is Red Red Robin, you’ll hear it every game... although these days to be honest I  prefer our 2nd club song, ‘A Little Respect’ which sprung up by accident at a Headingley cup semi and seems to have stuck...

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I might be thinking of the latter. Something about Tommy Martyn in it.

I know the one you mean but can’t think of the song. I’d also add the Saints are coming is used more as they come out now. 

3 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I know the one you mean but can’t think of the song. I’d also add the Saints are coming is used more as they come out now. 

A bit of Googling later, and:

"I've heard of St Helens, and seen on TV,
the dole queues, the coal mines and lots more to see.
So why go to Wigan, while you can come here
to watch Tommy Martyn and drink Greenalls beer"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

32 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Aye, Rovers’ is Red Red Robin, you’ll hear it every game... although these days to be honest I  prefer our 2nd club song, ‘A Little Respect’ which sprung up by accident at a Headingley cup semi and seems to have stuck...

Remember that . It was great 

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I'll take your word for it, BB, but do either of the Broncos or Skolars have a club song?

"Oh London town, Oh London town!....

is wonderful..... Is wonderful! 

Oh London town, is wonderful!

.. It's full of drugs, druggies and Broncos... 

... Oh London town is Wonderful"

.... and before any of you northern monkeys say otherwise may I assure you it is

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

"Oh London town, Oh London town!....

is wonderful..... Is wonderful! 

Oh London town, is wonderful!

.. It's full of drugs, druggies and Broncos... 

... Oh London town is Wonderful"

.... and before any of you northern monkeys say otherwise may I assure you it is

Manchester has a similar song , but different words ?

Wigan has a song , we sing it at Leigh ( I don't personally like it , and don't join in )

Anyone recogniz

1 hour ago, Leeds Wire said:

This is why Wire fans shout "Now the Wire!"

Anyone recognize Bobby Wanbon and Mike Nicholas amongst the Primrose and Blue? 

Archived